Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » Eclipse fails to launch following upgrade to 3.6.1(Slackware64 13.1 with Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_20)
icon5.gif  Eclipse fails to launch following upgrade to 3.6.1 [message #653736] Thu, 10 February 2011 21:48 Go to next message
Bradley D. Thornton is currently offline Bradley D. ThorntonFriend
Hi, I just performed an upgrade of Eclipse from eclipse-3.6-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz to eclipse-3.6.1-x86_64-1_SBo.tgz and I got the following error when trying to launch Eclipse:

The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its 
companion shared library.

Based on what I read elsewhere here in the forums, I compared /etc/eclipse/eclipse.ini with /etc/eclipse/eclipse.ini.new noted that the only difference between the two appears to be line 4 of each file:

Here's /etc/eclipse/eclipse.ini:

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.1.R36x_v20100810
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Xms40m
-Xmx384m

...and here's /etc/eclipse/eclipse.ini.new:

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.1.R36x_v20100810
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Xms40m
-Xmx384m

So I swapped out /opt/eclipse/eclipse.ini for the ecipse.ini.new file and received this new error when I tried to launch it again:

An error has occurred.  See the log file
/home/tallship/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.6.1_1473617060/configuration/1297372319445.log

Here is the logfile:

!SESSION Thu Feb 10 09:47:40 PST 2011 ------------------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2011-02-10 09:47:40.133
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter
	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:616)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:574)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1407)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1383)

Am I looking in the right place(s)? I don't want to have to roll back if I dont' have to. Any help would be most apprecited Smile
Re: Eclipse fails to launch following upgrade to 3.6.1 [message #662748 is a reply to message #653736] Thu, 31 March 2011 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Overholt is currently offline Andrew OverholtFriend
Hi,

Where do the 1_SBo.tgz packages come from?

Andrew
Re: Eclipse fails to launch following upgrade to 3.6.1 [message #662783 is a reply to message #662748] Thu, 31 March 2011 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bradley D. Thornton is currently offline Bradley D. ThorntonFriend
Andrew Overholt wrote on Thu, 31 March 2011 14:47
Hi,

Where do the 1_SBo.tgz packages come from?

Andrew

Thanks for responding Andrew. I was wondering if anyone was ever going to respond to this.

The SBo.tgz package that I created/installed comes from (as the 'SBo' portion of the filename indicates) http://SlackBuilds.org.

I used the stock SlackBuild to create the package and upgradepkg to upgrade the package.

When I roll back- the previous version works, when I upgrade, it is broken again.

Thanks and I hope you'll be able to provide some pointers to the problem since this has been broken for a while and I'm currently running the previous version at this time.

Thanks so much!

Kindest regards,

Bradley.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 March 2011 22:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse fails to launch following upgrade to 3.6.1 [message #662898 is a reply to message #662783] Fri, 01 April 2011 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Overholt is currently offline Andrew OverholtFriend
The SBo.tgz package that I created/installed comes from (as the 'SBo' portion of the filename indicates) http://SlackBuilds.org.

I think you should speak with the maintainer of that, then. I can confirm that Fedora's RPMs upgrade cleanly from 3.6.0 to 3.6.1 so it's not a generic 3.6.1 problem.

Good luck,

Andrew
Re: Eclipse fails to launch following upgrade to 3.6.1 [message #728863 is a reply to message #653736] Sat, 24 September 2011 05:43 Go to previous message
Rob King is currently offline Rob KingFriend
I ran into a similar problem myself (Slackware 13.37 x64_86), but did find a simple fix which I will explain below.

When looking closer at the SBO script, it appears that two new configuration files are not directly installed, and that the 2 old configuration files are retained as-is. So if you try to launch eclipse immediately after upgrading (or even uninstalling and then reinstalling), it will actually try to use the old config files, and will therefore fail with the errors you described.

I'm guessing that the the SBO maintainer leaves it to you to manually copy old configuration settings into the new configuration settings. This makes sense to me because you might have important config settings in the old versions that should be reviewed and transferred to the new config files as required.

In my case, I had performed an uninstall of one SBO version of Eclipse and tried to install a new SBO version of Eclipse, and I ran into an error you described which was not the exact same but very similar.

To resolve this issue, I did the following:

1) copied eclipse.ini.new over eclipse.ini (which you did)
2) copied configuration/config.ini.new over configuration/config.ini (which you didn't do)

After doing step #2 above, eclipse should launch without problems.

Hope this helps someone!
Previous Topic:libhover install problem
Next Topic:I can't install additional software on eclipse indigo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:29:47 GMT 2024