Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit » Encoding problems
Encoding problems [message #651395] Sun, 30 January 2011 11:30 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
Hi,
I hope this is the right place to ask this kind of question.

I've got an eclipse project/git repository that uses ISO8859-encoded files. When I compare files (Compare With/Git Index...), lines with special characters are shown as differences (as if the working tree copy was ISO-encoded, but the index copy UTF8-encoded).

When I do the same thing from the command line (git diff file.c) everything's just fine. (If it matters: my system (newest Ubuntu) uses UTF-8 encoding.)

When I change the properties of the file in eclipse (Properties/Resource/Text file encoding) comparison works fine, but normal editing does not (special characters are shown as ?.

Am I doing anything wrong? Or is this a bug?
Re: Encoding problems [message #651615 is a reply to message #651395] Mon, 31 January 2011 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
Messages: 332
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
stm_@users.sourceforge.net skrev 2011-01-30 12:30:
> Hi,
> I hope this is the right place to ask this kind of question.
> I've got an eclipse project/git repository that uses ISO8859-encoded
> files. When I compare files (Compare With/Git Index...), lines with
> special characters are shown as differences (as if the working tree copy
> was ISO-encoded, but the index copy UTF8-encoded).
> When I do the same thing from the command line (git diff file.c)
> everything's just fine. (If it matters: my system (newest Ubuntu) uses
> UTF-8 encoding.)
>
> When I change the properties of the file in eclipse
> (Properties/Resource/Text file encoding) comparison works fine, but
> normal editing does not (special characters are shown as ?.
>
> Am I doing anything wrong? Or is this a bug?

We try to be smart and don't succeed too well. In some cases it might
be hard to solve tbis problem, but I think you see a bug, i.e.
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=333310

-- robin
Re: Encoding problems [message #651624 is a reply to message #651615] Mon, 31 January 2011 22:55 Go to previous message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
Wink Thanks for the quick answer. Yes, this sounds like my bug. I hope you're able to fix it. It's a bit annoying because I eventually managed to mess up all my non-ISO characters and had to reset everything manually. I'll be more careful now...
Previous Topic:Unusable
Next Topic:Getting list of files in a commit with jGit
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Dec 22 06:22:06 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01488 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software