Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » unable to run JSF application(No org.apache.tomcat.InstanceManager set in ServletContext)
unable to run JSF application [message #651221] Fri, 28 January 2011 08:05 Go to next message
Luca Ferrari is currently offline Luca Ferrari
Messages: 159
Registered: November 2009
Senior Member
Hi all,
I'm going nuts and I've spent all the morning trying to figure out what's happening withijn my helios configuration since I'm no more able to deploy and run an application on tomcat 6.0.29 having the following exception:

28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: /sviluppo/java/jdk1.6.0_23/jre/lib/amd64/server:/sviluppo/java/jdk1.6.0_23/jre/lib/amd64:/sviluppo/java/jdk1.6.0_23/jre/../lib/amd64:/usr/lib64/xulrunner-addons:/usr/java/packages/lib/amd64:/usr/lib64:/lib64:/lib:/usr/lib
28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule begin
WARNING: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property 'source' to 'org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.server:fascicolopersonale' did not find a matching property.
28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 1071 ms
28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
INFO: Starting service Catalina
28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.29
28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader validateJarFile
INFO: validateJarFile(/sviluppo/java/eclipseWorkspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp0/wtpwebapps/fascicolopersonale/WEB-INF/lib/servlet-api.jar) - jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending class: javax/servlet/Servlet.class
28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext addApplicationListener
INFO: The listener "com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener" is already configured for this context. The duplicate definition has been ignored.
28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 com.sun.faces.config.rules.NavigationRuleRule end
WARNING: [NavigationRuleRule]{faces-config/navigation-rule} Merge(/main.jsp)
28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 com.sun.faces.config.rules.NavigationRuleRule end
WARNING: [NavigationRuleRule]{faces-config/navigation-rule} Merge(/titles.jsp)
28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 com.sun.faces.config.rules.NavigationRuleRule end
WARNING: [NavigationRuleRule]{faces-config/navigation-rule} Merge(/main.jsp)
28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 com.sun.faces.config.rules.NavigationRuleRule end
WARNING: [NavigationRuleRule]{faces-config/navigation-rule} Merge(/main.jsp)
28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
28-Jan-2011 12:56:45 org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/64  config=null
28-Jan-2011 12:56:45 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 1334 ms
28-Jan-2011 12:56:45 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.IllegalStateException: No org.apache.tomcat.InstanceManager set in ServletContext
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.InstanceManagerFactory.getInstanceManager(InstanceManagerFactory.java:39)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.java:160)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:353)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:389)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:332)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:646)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:436)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:374)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:302)
	at com.sun.faces.context.ExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ExternalContextImpl.java:346)
	at com.sun.faces.application.ViewHandlerImpl.renderView(ViewHandlerImpl.java:152)
	at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.RenderResponsePhase.execute(RenderResponsePhase.java:107)
	at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.phase(LifecycleImpl.java:268)
	at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:137)
	at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:214)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:857)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
28-Jan-2011 12:56:45 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet Faces Servlet threw exception
java.lang.IllegalStateException: No org.apache.tomcat.InstanceManager set in ServletContext
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.InstanceManagerFactory.getInstanceManager(InstanceManagerFactory.java:39)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.java:160)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:353)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:389)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:332)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:646)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:436)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:374)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:302)
	at com.sun.faces.context.ExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ExternalContextImpl.java:346)
	at com.sun.faces.application.ViewHandlerImpl.renderView(ViewHandlerImpl.java:152)
	at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.RenderResponsePhase.execute(RenderResponsePhase.java:107)
	at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.phase(LifecycleImpl.java:268)
	at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:137)
	at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:214)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:857)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
 



The problem is I cannot figure out what changed in the project configuration, run-time or classpath since I have only worked on code and not on configuration. However I tried to setup another web project deployed on the same tomcat machine and it works fine, so the problem must be on the project itself. However, how can I figure it out?

Thanks

[Updated on: Fri, 28 January 2011 08:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: unable to run JSF application [message #651234 is a reply to message #651221] Fri, 28 January 2011 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1305
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 1/28/2011 8:05 AM, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm going nuts and I've spent all the morning trying to figure out
> what's happening withijn my helios configuration since I'm no more able
> to deploy and run an application on tomcat 6.0.29 having the following
> exception:
>
>
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
> INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
> performance in production environments was not found on the
> java.library.path:
> /sviluppo/java/jdk1.6.0_23/jre/lib/amd64/server:/sviluppo/ja va/jdk1.6.0_23/jre/lib/amd64:/sviluppo/java/jdk1.6.0_23/jre/ ../lib/amd64:/usr/lib64/xulrunner-addons:/usr/java/packages/ lib/amd64:/usr/lib64:/lib64:/lib:/usr/lib
>
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.SetPropertiesRule
> begin
> WARNING: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting
> property 'source' to 'org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.server:fascicolopersonale'
> did not find a matching property.
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
> INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
> INFO: Initialization processed in 1071 ms
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
> INFO: Starting service Catalina
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:43 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
> INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.29
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> validateJarFile
> INFO:
> validateJarFile(/sviluppo/java/eclipseWorkspace/.metadata/.p lugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp0/wtpwebapps/fascicolo personale/WEB-INF/lib/servlet-api.jar)
> - jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending class:
> javax/servlet/Servlet.class
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
> addApplicationListener
> INFO: The listener "com.sun.faces.config.ConfigureListener" is already
> configured for this context. The duplicate definition has been ignored.
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 com.sun.faces.config.rules.NavigationRuleRule end
> WARNING: [NavigationRuleRule]{faces-config/navigation-rule}
> Merge(/main.jsp)
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 com.sun.faces.config.rules.NavigationRuleRule end
> WARNING: [NavigationRuleRule]{faces-config/navigation-rule}
> Merge(/titles.jsp)
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 com.sun.faces.config.rules.NavigationRuleRule end
> WARNING: [NavigationRuleRule]{faces-config/navigation-rule}
> Merge(/main.jsp)
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 com.sun.faces.config.rules.NavigationRuleRule end
> WARNING: [NavigationRuleRule]{faces-config/navigation-rule}
> Merge(/main.jsp)
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
> INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:44 org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
> INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:45 org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
> INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/64 config=null
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:45 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
> INFO: Server startup in 1334 ms
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:45 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher invoke
> SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: No org.apache.tomcat.InstanceManager
> set in ServletContext
> at
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.InstanceManagerFactory.getInstance Manager(InstanceManagerFactory.java:39)
>
> at
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspSe rvletWrapper.java:160)
>
> at
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServl etWrapper.java:353)
>
> at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServl et.java:389)
> at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java :332)
> at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFi lter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(App licationFilterChain.java:206)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(Applic ationDispatcher.java:646)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processReques t(ApplicationDispatcher.java:436)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(App licationDispatcher.java:374)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(Appli cationDispatcher.java:302)
>
> at
> com.sun.faces.context.ExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ExternalC ontextImpl.java:346)
>
> at
> com.sun.faces.application.ViewHandlerImpl.renderView(ViewHan dlerImpl.java:152)
>
> at
> com.sun.faces.lifecycle.RenderResponsePhase.execute(RenderRe sponsePhase.java:107)
>
> at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.phase(LifecycleImpl.ja va:268)
> at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.j ava:137)
> at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:21 4)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFi lter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(App licationFilterChain.java:206)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(Standar dWrapperValve.java:233)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(Standar dContextValve.java:191)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHo stValve.java:127)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorRepo rtValve.java:102)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(Standard EngineValve.java:109)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAd apter.java:298)
> at
> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Proce ssor.java:857)
> at
> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHand ler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)
>
> at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoin t.java:489)
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
> 28-Jan-2011 12:56:45 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
> SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet Faces Servlet threw exception
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: No org.apache.tomcat.InstanceManager
> set in ServletContext
> at
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.InstanceManagerFactory.getInstance Manager(InstanceManagerFactory.java:39)
>
> at
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspSe rvletWrapper.java:160)
>
> at
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServl etWrapper.java:353)
>
> at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServl et.java:389)
> at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java :332)
> at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFi lter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(App licationFilterChain.java:206)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(Applic ationDispatcher.java:646)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processReques t(ApplicationDispatcher.java:436)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(App licationDispatcher.java:374)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(Appli cationDispatcher.java:302)
>
> at
> com.sun.faces.context.ExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ExternalC ontextImpl.java:346)
>
> at
> com.sun.faces.application.ViewHandlerImpl.renderView(ViewHan dlerImpl.java:152)
>
> at
> com.sun.faces.lifecycle.RenderResponsePhase.execute(RenderRe sponsePhase.java:107)
>
> at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.phase(LifecycleImpl.ja va:268)
> at com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.j ava:137)
> at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:21 4)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFi lter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(App licationFilterChain.java:206)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(Standar dWrapperValve.java:233)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(Standar dContextValve.java:191)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHo stValve.java:127)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorRepo rtValve.java:102)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(Standard EngineValve.java:109)
>
> at
> org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAd apter.java:298)
> at
> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Proce ssor.java:857)
> at
> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHand ler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)
>
> at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoin t.java:489)
> at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
>
>
>
>
> The problem is I cannot figure out what changed in the project
> configuration, run-time or classpath since I have only worked on code
> and not on configuration. However I tried to setup another web project
> deployed on the same tomcat machine and it works fine, so the problem
> must be on the project itself. However, how can I figure it out?
>
> Thanks
>

I believe InstanceManagerFactory is new in Tomcat 7.0.x. So it appears
that in addition to servlet-api.jar being included in the published
project's WEB-INF/lib (which should never be included), there could be
other jars which should also not be there. One, possibly with "jasper"
in its name, could be causing this exception. You should check the
project's configuration to see why the inappropriate jar(s) are being
included.

Cheers,
Larry
Re: unable to run JSF application [message #665530 is a reply to message #651221] Thu, 14 April 2011 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oprogfrogo  is currently offline oprogfrogo
Messages: 1
Registered: April 2011
Junior Member
I'm having the exact same problem. Help!
Re: unable to run JSF application [message #665694 is a reply to message #665530] Fri, 15 April 2011 09:40 Go to previous message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1305
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 4/14/2011 7:08 PM, oprogfrogo wrote:
> I'm having the exact same problem. Help!

Does your console output also include "- jar not loaded. See Servlet
Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending class: ..." as in the original post.
If so, see my earlier answer to the original post. Otherwise you will
need to provide your own details.

Cheers,
Larry
Previous Topic:Local Rhino Debugging
Next Topic:JavaScript debugging in Helios
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Aug 31 06:33:52 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01724 seconds