Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse and Android SDK(Does not detect 'target')
Eclipse and Android SDK [message #650888] Thu, 27 January 2011 03:37 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 5
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
I am using Eclipse with the Android SDK. When I try to make a project, does not allow me to continue with the error " An SDK Target must be specified.". I have the Android SDK installed as well as the eclipse plugin. Anyone have any ideas?
Re: Eclipse and Android SDK [message #650899 is a reply to message #650888] Thu, 27 January 2011 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3190
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 2011.01.26 20:37, haroldham@gmail.com wrote:
> I am using Eclipse with the Android SDK. When I try to make a project,
> does not allow me to continue with the error " An SDK Target must be
> specified.". I have the Android SDK installed as well as the eclipse
> plugin. Anyone have any ideas?

Are you new at this? If so, before moving on, run through Lars Vogel's
tutorial at

http://www.vogella.de/articles/Android/article.html
Re: Eclipse and Android SDK [message #651315 is a reply to message #650899] Fri, 28 January 2011 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 5
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
Thanks! Now it is asking me for a valid java identifier for the package name. What does that mean?
Re: Eclipse and Android SDK [message #651317 is a reply to message #651315] Fri, 28 January 2011 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3190
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 28-Jan-11 15:43, haroldham@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks! Now it is asking me for a valid java identifier for the package
> name. What does that mean?

I don't remember this problem. You can run through my article on how I
followed this tutorial and solved each problem as I encountered it. It's at:

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/android.html

Realize that Lars has changed his tutorial somewhat since I did it last
summer. However, I've attempted to update my section numbering to keep pace.

In the end, the question you just asked is almost surely an Android one.
In this document, you'll find a link to better support forums than the
Eclipse newcomers' forum for Android questions.
Re: Eclipse and Android SDK [message #651351 is a reply to message #651317] Sat, 29 January 2011 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 5
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
package="com.examples.tipcalc"
android:versionCode="1"
android:versionName="1.0">
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
<application android:icon="@drawable/icon"
android:label="@string/app_name">
<activity android:name=".Tipster"
android:label="@string/app_name">
<intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
</intent-filter>
</activity>
</application>
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" />
</manifest>

Package name--should be identical to the Java package name used in the project source code; see package.

Where do I find that?

Russell Bateman wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 18:32
On 28-Jan-11 15:43, haroldham@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks! Now it is asking me for a valid java identifier for the package
> name. What does that mean?

I don't remember this problem. You can run through my article on how I
followed this tutorial and solved each problem as I encountered it. It's at:

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/android.html

Realize that Lars has changed his tutorial somewhat since I did it last
summer. However, I've attempted to update my section numbering to keep pace.

In the end, the question you just asked is almost surely an Android one.
In this document, you'll find a link to better support forums than the
Eclipse newcomers' forum for Android questions.

Re: Eclipse and Android SDK [message #651362 is a reply to message #651351] Sat, 29 January 2011 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3190
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 2011.01.29 11:20, haroldham@gmail.com wrote:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
> package="com.examples.tipcalc"
> android:versionCode="1"
> android:versionName="1.0">
> <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
> <application android:icon="@drawable/icon"
> android:label="@string/app_name">
> <activity android:name=".Tipster"
> android:label="@string/app_name">
> <intent-filter>
> <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
> <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
> </intent-filter>
> </activity>
> </application>
> <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" />
> </manifest>
>
> Package name--should be identical to the Java package name used in the
> project source code; see package.
>
> Where do I find that?
>
> Russell Bateman wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 18:32
>> On 28-Jan-11 15:43, haroldham@gmail.com wrote:
>> > Thanks! Now it is asking me for a valid java identifier for the package
>> > name. What does that mean?
>>
>> I don't remember this problem. You can run through my article on how I
>> followed this tutorial and solved each problem as I encountered it.
>> It's at:
>>
>> http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/android.html
>>
>> Realize that Lars has changed his tutorial somewhat since I did it
>> last summer. However, I've attempted to update my section numbering to
>> keep pace.
>>
>> In the end, the question you just asked is almost surely an Android
>> one. In this document, you'll find a link to better support forums
>> than the Eclipse newcomers' forum for Android questions.

The Java package name is com.examples.tipcalc in the tipster example?
There isn't enough information here for me to understand what you are
really asking.

Also, this isn't an Android forum. We can help you set up Eclipse here
and even answer a few Android questions as they relate to Eclipse
set-up, but Android development doesn't have a forum on eclipse.org.
Instead, find Android support at one of the forums listed at the link below:

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/android.html#suppo rt
Re: Eclipse and Android SDK [message #651375 is a reply to message #651362] Sun, 30 January 2011 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 5
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
Russell Bateman wrote on Sat, 29 January 2011 17:18
On 2011.01.29 11:20, haroldham@gmail.com wrote:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
> package="com.examples.tipcalc"
> android:versionCode="1"
> android:versionName="1.0">
> <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
> <application android:icon="@drawable/icon"
> android:label="@string/app_name">
> <activity android:name=".Tipster"
> android:label="@string/app_name">
> <intent-filter>
> <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
> <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
> </intent-filter>
> </activity>
> </application>
> <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="8" />
> </manifest>
>
> Package name--should be identical to the Java package name used in the
> project source code; see package.
>
> Where do I find that?
>
> Russell Bateman wrote on Fri, 28 January 2011 18:32
>> On 28-Jan-11 15:43, haroldham@gmail.com wrote:
>> > Thanks! Now it is asking me for a valid java identifier for the package
>> > name. What does that mean?
>>
>> I don't remember this problem. You can run through my article on how I
>> followed this tutorial and solved each problem as I encountered it.
>> It's at:
>>
>> http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/android.html
>>
>> Realize that Lars has changed his tutorial somewhat since I did it
>> last summer. However, I've attempted to update my section numbering to
>> keep pace.
>>
>> In the end, the question you just asked is almost surely an Android
>> one. In this document, you'll find a link to better support forums
>> than the Eclipse newcomers' forum for Android questions.

The Java package name is com.examples.tipcalc in the tipster example?
There isn't enough information here for me to understand what you are
really asking.

Also, this isn't an Android forum. We can help you set up Eclipse here
and even answer a few Android questions as they relate to Eclipse
set-up, but Android development doesn't have a forum on eclipse.org.
Instead, find Android support at one of the forums listed at the link below:

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/android.html#suppo rt


It is an eclipse related problem, eclipse is asking me for something that you address in an article that you wrote.
Re: Eclipse and Android SDK [message #651414 is a reply to message #651375] Sun, 30 January 2011 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3190
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 2011.01.29 19:07, haroldham@gmail.com wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> > Package name--should be identical to the Java package name used in the
>> > project source code; see package.
>> >
>> > Where do I find that?
>> >
>> [snip]
>
> It is an eclipse related problem, eclipse is asking me for something
> that you address in an article that you wrote.

Sure, you can ask anything here. I'm just saying where you're going to
get the greatest help.

The description you give of the problem isn't enough for me to
understand. Maybe someone brighter will come along, see through what I
can't see and answer you.

Sorry.
Re: Eclipse and Android SDK [message #651431 is a reply to message #651414] Sun, 30 January 2011 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real name
Messages: 5
Registered: January 2011
Junior Member
One can only hope. The top part was an XML file with a 'package' variable. The package name is defined as the assignment to that package variable. Where did you find that XML file. I have faith that you are capable enough to help me.
Re: Eclipse and Android SDK [message #651441 is a reply to message #651431] Sun, 30 January 2011 21:48 Go to previous message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell Bateman
Messages: 3190
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 2011.01.30 13:37, haroldham@gmail.com wrote:
> One can only hope. The top part was an XML file with a 'package'
> variable. The package name is defined as the assignment to that package
> variable. Where did you find that XML file. I have faith that you are
> capable enough to help me.

Yes, I am able to help, but I shouldn't be doing it in this forum. This
gets seriously off-topic for the Eclipse newcomers' forum, but bear with
me (other readers).

In Android development, you have three, principal XML configuration files.

1 - AndroidManifest.xml - fairly simple and created for you by the
new-project wizard based on the information you fill in down at the
bottom of the dialog including your primary package name. Needs update
later to engage such things as permission to access the Internet, get
hardware information, etc.

The new-project wizard will also create the new package and place the
first Java stub in it. After the project is created, you will
practically have an Android application that does everything except say
"Hello world."

2 - main.xml - contains your main UI layout; a stub is created by the
new-project wizard. This can be a collection of more than one file, but
for any simple application, it's more likely to be just one file.

3 - strings.xml - contains string definitions; a stub is created by the
new-project wizard.

R.java is composed from #2 and #3.

We should take this off-line from now on. You can contact me directly
via e-mail.
Previous Topic:upgrading from galileo to helios doest finish
Next Topic:OutofMemory PerSpace error in BPEL Designer
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Sep 18 21:56:59 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.08242 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software