Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Debug breakpoint ok on backend but not on GUI client
Debug breakpoint ok on backend but not on GUI client [message #648858] Fri, 14 January 2011 18:25 Go to next message
albertkao is currently offline albertkaoFriend
I set debug breakpoints on both backend and frontend Swing GUI client with Eclipse 3.3.2 on Windows XP. The backend (data access code) communicates with the frontend code by EJB 2.0.
The debug breakpoints can be triggered on backend (server) but not on frontend Swing GUI client. i.e. Clicking a button on the Swing GUI client will make the program stop at the breakpoints on the backend code but the frontend code.
Please help so that the breakpoints on the frontend code will also work.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 January 2011 18:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Debug breakpoint ok on backend but not on GUI client [message #648876 is a reply to message #648858] Fri, 14 January 2011 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: richkulp.us.NOSPAM.ibm.com

Hi,

Aren't those two functions in two different java processes? You would
need to connect to both java VM's.

--
Thanks,
Rich Kulp
Re: Debug breakpoint ok on backend but not on GUI client [message #649124 is a reply to message #648876] Mon, 17 January 2011 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Swing GUI client is started by Java Web Start in a web browser for user login with their passwords.
Do I connect to both java VMs with only one instance of Eclipse or two independent instances of Eclipse?
How to connect to the Swing GUI client (which options of Eclipse are used)?
Currently I connect to the server program by the Eclipse options
"Debug", "Remote Java Application", "Connect", "Connection Type", "Standard(Socket Attach)", "Host localhost", "Port 8451".

[Updated on: Mon, 17 January 2011 19:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Debug breakpoint ok on backend but not on GUI client [message #649159 is a reply to message #649124] Mon, 17 January 2011 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

You can connect to the Swing client from the same Eclipse instance.

The easiest way is to actually use Eclipse to start your GUI client in
debug mode. That would start it in debug mode and automatically connect.

--
Thanks,
Rich Kulp
Re: Debug breakpoint ok on backend but not on GUI client [message #649602 is a reply to message #649159] Wed, 19 January 2011 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Swing GUI program is started as follows:
Using the Microsoft Internet Explorer web browser, go to http://localhost:7001/proj/webstart/prog/
Then click a button to use Java Web Start to start my Swing GUI program.
How to start my Swing GUI program by Java Web Start with IE in debug mode?
Re: Debug breakpoint ok on backend but not on GUI client [message #649761 is a reply to message #649602] Thu, 20 January 2011 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

Sorry,

That I have no clue. I don't use Webstart.
--
Thanks,
Rich Kulp
Re: Debug breakpoint ok on backend but not on GUI client [message #650894 is a reply to message #649761] Thu, 27 January 2011 04:25 Go to previous message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
Open Control Panel->Java and then click on the Java tab. Click on the Java Applet Runtime Settings view and under the Java Runtime Parameters, set the JVM command line parameters to start in debug mode (-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8010,server=y,suspend= n)
Previous Topic:Help Loading ImageIcons
Next Topic:How to use eclipse variables in plugin ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:56:23 GMT 2024