Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Making sub-components updateable via p2(Make sub-components of the product updateable via p2 using a headless build)
Making sub-components updateable via p2 [message #643475] Tue, 07 December 2010 01:33 Go to next message
David Missing name is currently offline David Missing nameFriend
Hello

I do apologise if this is not the right forum, I wasn't really sure which was the most appropriate.
The problem as stated here: http://aniefer.blogspot.com/2009/07/composing-and-updating-c ustom-eclipse.html. I'm not sure that the steps in this tutorial are applicable to our setup.
We need to add update functionality for sub-components of our product (which are all set as included features of the product), but p2 only checks for updates to the actual product and not the sub-components, it finds new software to install, but that obviously doesn't work.

We currently have our application being built using buckminster on hudson, following this tutorial, http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/eclipsercp/p2_updates_tutorial/ . Basically, we need to modify the build process to explicitly install each of our features (not including eclipse SDK, equinox, etc for now) so that those features are updateable via an update site. I am using eclipse 3.5, and buckminster 1.1.350.r11162 (in the IDE, I presume the version on the command line is the same).

The buckminster build flags in hudson are:
importtargetdefinition -A '${WORKSPACE}/site/rcp.target'
import '${WORKSPACE}/site/site.cquery'
build
perform -D target.os=win32 -D target.ws=win32 -D target.arch=x86 org.example.app.site#site.p2
perform -D target.os=win32 -D target.ws=win32 -D target.arch=x86 org.example.app.site#create.product.zip

David

[Updated on: Tue, 07 December 2010 01:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Making sub-components updateable via p2 [message #643478 is a reply to message #643475] Tue, 07 December 2010 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
Create.product.zip calls create product which performs the installation
of the product.

What you probably want to do is to first install the base product, and
then install each individually updateable feature (which naturally can
not be included in the base product).
Once everything is installed, the result is zipped.

Look at the definition of create.product.zip

- henrik
<tran@acer.edu.au> wrote:
> Hello
>
> The problem as stated here:
> http://aniefer.blogspot.com/2009/07/composing-and-updating-c ustom-eclipse.html
> I'm not sure that the steps in this tutorial are applicable to our
> setup. We need to add update functionality for sub-components of our
> product (which are all set as included features of the product), but
> p2 only checks for updates to the actual product and not the
> sub-components, it finds new software to install, but that obviously
> doesn't work.
>
> We currently have our application being built using buckminster on
> hudson, following this tutorial,
> http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/eclipsercp/p2_updates_tutorial/
> Basically, we need to modify the build process to explicitly install
> each of our features (not including eclipse SDK, equinox, etc for now)
> so that those features are updateable via an update site. I am using
> eclipse 3.5, and buckminster 1.1.350.r11162 (in the IDE, I presume the
> version on the command line is the same).
>
> The buckminster build flags in hudson are:
>
> importtargetdefinition -A '${WORKSPACE}/site/rcp.target'
> import '${WORKSPACE}/site/site.cquery'
> build
> perform -D target.os=win32 -D target.ws=win32 -D target.arch=x86
> org.example.app.site#site.p2
> perform -D target.os=win32 -D target.ws=win32 -D target.arch=x86
> org.example.app.site#create.product.zip
>
>
> David

--
- henrik
Re: Making sub-components updateable via p2 [message #643512 is a reply to message #643475] Tue, 07 December 2010 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi
thanks for your reply, it makes sense, but I wonder if perhaps our design does not fit this model as the features are required to build the product (that's my understanding)?

In any case I will need to read up on the cspex syntax

David
Re: Making sub-components updateable via p2 [message #643591 is a reply to message #643512] Tue, 07 December 2010 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Kravets is currently offline Alex KravetsFriend
Henrik,

I believe I have similar setup as David is describing and was wondering about sub components' updatability. Our product has dependency on features in o.e.datatools.* , currently they are listed as included features under product feature. Do I understand this correctly that I need to create another action that installs these features listed in IU? How can aggregate installation for all these features?

thanks,
Alex
Re: Making sub-components updateable via p2 [message #643695 is a reply to message #643591] Tue, 07 December 2010 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That does sound similar to what we are doing, we have our sub-components as included features of the product feature. Please post back if you find a working solution, I'll do the same Smile
Re: Making sub-components updateable via p2 [message #644932 is a reply to message #643695] Tue, 14 December 2010 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Philip Borlin is currently offline Philip BorlinFriend
When I call perform XXX#site.p2 I get an update site with all the bundles and features that depend on my XXX feature. Are you making sure you include -Dsite.include.top=true? Also do you have a feature that includes all the other features needed for your product? If you don't then create one and try calling site.p2 on that feature.
Re: Making sub-components updateable via p2 [message #644938 is a reply to message #644932] Tue, 14 December 2010 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Kravets is currently offline Alex KravetsFriend
Philip,

The way I have my features setup is that I have a "build" feature that has rmaps, cqueries, ant scripts, etc. This feature include my top feature "product" that defines a product and includes other needed features. When I build the product feature it is included in the site. Do I still need to include site.include.top in setup like that?

thanks,
Alex
Re: Making sub-components updateable via p2 [message #644948 is a reply to message #644938] Tue, 14 December 2010 22:46 Go to previous message
Philip Borlin is currently offline Philip BorlinFriend
Alex wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 16:01
Do I still need to include site.include.top in setup like that?

That depends. I think site.include.top means that the feature you are pointing to will be built also. If it is not set then I think all the features underneath it get built but not the one you pointed to.
Previous Topic:feature is categorized twice in update site
Next Topic:how to exclude a feature from a p2 site ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:32:20 GMT 2024