Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Frequent crashes in Galileo 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21(Constant Unhandled Event Loop)
Frequent crashes in Galileo 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21 [message #642359] Wed, 01 December 2010 00:41 Go to next message
peter nelson is currently offline peter nelsonFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: December 2010
Junior Member
I get frequent crashes in Eclipse 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21. The log file rapidly fills up with unhandled event loop exceptions. A typical stack trace looks like:

org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Failed to execute runnable (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3884)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3799)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchr onizer.java:137)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.jav a:3885)

in eclipse.ini I've experimenting setting the MaxPermSize higher - it was at 256M and I boosted it to 384M with no effect.

I'm running XP Pro, SP3. I have no shortage of memory on my system and I run lots of other big, complex apps such as Visual Studio and Adobe Creative Suite with no unusual behavior.

This is ruining my productivity!! Thanks in advance for any help!
Re: Frequent crashes in Galileo 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21 [message #642365 is a reply to message #642359] Wed, 01 December 2010 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francis Upton IV is currently offline Francis Upton IVFriend
Messages: 472
Registered: July 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Senior Member
Can you move up to update 22 (the most recent)? I think there have been fixes in the interaction with Java and Eclipse that that make the permgen problems go away.

Re: Frequent crashes in Galileo 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21 [message #642386 is a reply to message #642365] Wed, 01 December 2010 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Krügler is currently offline Daniel KrüglerFriend
Messages: 853
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 12/1/2010 03:24, Francis Upton wrote:
> Can you move up to update 22 (the most recent)? I think there have been
> fixes in the interaction with Java and Eclipse that that make the
> permgen problems go away.

Alternatively (or additionally) you might consider to switch to Eclipse
3.6.x. Here, the Eclipse implementation has changed their VM recognition
logic.

HTH & Greetings from Bremen,

Daniel Krügler
Re: Frequent crashes in Galileo 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21 [message #642470 is a reply to message #642386] Wed, 01 December 2010 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peter nelson is currently offline peter nelsonFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: December 2010
Junior Member
Daniel Krügler wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 02:33
On 12/1/2010 03:24, Francis Upton wrote:
> Can you move up to update 22 (the most recent)? I think there have been
> fixes in the interaction with Java and Eclipse that that make the
> permgen problems go away.

Alternatively (or additionally) you might consider to switch to Eclipse
3.6.x. Here, the Eclipse implementation has changed their VM recognition
logic.


Our entire group (about 15 engineers and designers) would have to switch if we changed versions of Eclipse or Java.

Is there any fix that doesn't involve changing versions of Eclipse or Java?

If we did change am I correct in assuming that updating Java would be the least disruptive of the 2 choices? Does it have a high likelihood of fixing the problem (Francis said he "thinks" it might fix it)?

Re: Frequent crashes in Galileo 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21 [message #642472 is a reply to message #642470] Wed, 01 December 2010 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Krügler is currently offline Daniel KrüglerFriend
Messages: 853
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 12/1/2010 14:35, peter nelson wrote:
> Daniel Krügler wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 02:33
>> On 12/1/2010 03:24, Francis Upton wrote:
>> > Can you move up to update 22 (the most recent)? I think there have been
>> > fixes in the interaction with Java and Eclipse that that make the
>> > permgen problems go away.
>>
>> Alternatively (or additionally) you might consider to switch to
>> Eclipse 3.6.x. Here, the Eclipse implementation has changed their VM
>> recognition logic.
>
>
> Our entire group (about 15 engineers and designers) would have to switch
> if we changed versions of Eclipse or Java.
>
> Is there any fix that doesn't involve changing versions of Eclipse or Java?

I don't know.

> If we did change am I correct in assuming that updating Java would be
> the least disruptive of the 2 choices?

I assume so.

> Does it have a high likelihood of
> fixing the problem (Francis said he "thinks" it might fix it)?

I'm quite sure that it will fix the problem.

HTH & Greetings from Bremen,

Daniel Krügler
Re: Frequent crashes in Galileo 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21 [message #642481 is a reply to message #642359] Wed, 01 December 2010 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mauro Molinari is currently offline Mauro MolinariFriend
Messages: 280
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Il 01/12/2010 01:41, peter nelson ha scritto:
> I get frequent crashes in Eclipse 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21. The log file
> rapidly fills up with unhandled event loop exceptions. A typical stack
> trace looks like:
>
> org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Failed to execute runnable
> (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space)
> at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3884)
> at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3799)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchr
> onizer.java:137)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.jav a:3885)
>
> in eclipse.ini I've experimenting setting the MaxPermSize higher - it
> was at 256M and I boosted it to 384M with no effect.

Maybe you've come across bug #319514.
You have to re-download and re-install JRE 1.6.0_21 or switch to 1.6.0_22.

Otherwise have a look at:
http://lt-rider.blogspot.com/2010/07/oracle-jvm-6u21-and-ecl ipse.html

Mauro.
Re: Frequent crashes in Galileo 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21 [message #642545 is a reply to message #642470] Wed, 01 December 2010 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Messages: 2363
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 12/1/10 8:35 AM, peter nelson wrote:
> Daniel Krügler wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 02:33
>> On 12/1/2010 03:24, Francis Upton wrote:
>> > Can you move up to update 22 (the most recent)? I think there have been
>> > fixes in the interaction with Java and Eclipse that that make the
>> > permgen problems go away.
>>
>> Alternatively (or additionally) you might consider to switch to
>> Eclipse 3.6.x. Here, the Eclipse implementation has changed their VM
>> recognition logic.
>
>
> Our entire group (about 15 engineers and designers) would have to switch
> if we changed versions of Eclipse or Java.
>
> Is there any fix that doesn't involve changing versions of Eclipse or Java?
> If we did change am I correct in assuming that updating Java would be
> the least disruptive of the 2 choices? Does it have a high likelihood of
> fixing the problem (Francis said he "thinks" it might fix it)?
>
>

Read this: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=171988& amp;start=0

Eric
Re: Frequent crashes in Galileo 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21 [message #642560 is a reply to message #642545] Wed, 01 December 2010 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Messages: 2363
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 12/1/10 1:05 PM, Eric Rizzo wrote:
> On 12/1/10 8:35 AM, peter nelson wrote:
>> Daniel Krügler wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 02:33
>>> On 12/1/2010 03:24, Francis Upton wrote:
>>> > Can you move up to update 22 (the most recent)? I think there have
>>> been
>>> > fixes in the interaction with Java and Eclipse that that make the
>>> > permgen problems go away.
>>>
>>> Alternatively (or additionally) you might consider to switch to
>>> Eclipse 3.6.x. Here, the Eclipse implementation has changed their VM
>>> recognition logic.
>>
>>
>> Our entire group (about 15 engineers and designers) would have to switch
>> if we changed versions of Eclipse or Java.
>>
>> Is there any fix that doesn't involve changing versions of Eclipse or
>> Java?
>> If we did change am I correct in assuming that updating Java would be
>> the least disruptive of the 2 choices? Does it have a high likelihood of
>> fixing the problem (Francis said he "thinks" it might fix it)?
>>
>>
>
> Read this: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=171988& amp;start=0

Better reference: http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_run_Eclipse%3F
Re: Frequent crashes in Galileo 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21 [message #642734 is a reply to message #642560] Thu, 02 December 2010 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peter nelson is currently offline peter nelsonFriend
Messages: 4
Registered: December 2010
Junior Member
Eric Rizzo wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010
Better reference: [url
http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_run_Eclipse%3F[/url]


That is about 3.32, I'm running 3.52.

In any case I volunteered myself to be my group's guinea pig for update 22 and so far it seems to be working OK so I think that will be the preferred solution. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Re: Frequent crashes in Galileo 3.5.2 / JDK 6 Update 21 [message #642760 is a reply to message #642734] Thu, 02 December 2010 15:29 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Messages: 2363
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 12/2/10 9:37 AM, peter nelson wrote:
> Eric Rizzo wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 Better reference: [url
>> http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_run_Eclipse%3F[/url]
>
>
> That is about 3.32, I'm running 3.52.
> In any case I volunteered myself to be my group's guinea pig for update
> 22 and so far it seems to be working OK so I think that will be the
> preferred solution. Thanks to everyone who contributed!
>
>

I've updated that wiki page to eliminate the references to 3.3, as most
of the material applies to all versions.
In particular, the very first section was what I was pointing you to
( http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_run_Eclipse%3F#Oracle.2 FSun_VM_1.6.0_21_on_Windows);
that part contains info about several options for resolving the problem
you were experiencing.

Eric
Previous Topic:[DataBinding]TreeViewer ComboBoxViewerCellEditor validation
Next Topic:SIngle running instance of Eclipse
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Nov 24 18:04:53 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02556 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software