Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » Post-mortem analysis
Post-mortem analysis [message #638742] Fri, 12 November 2010 12:44 Go to next message
Martin Domig is currently offline Martin DomigFriend
Hello

I've seen your talk at ESE2010 and immediately liked MAT - today, I finally got the chance to try it out myself. The information you get out of a memory dump is amazing, and could be really useful in a lot of ways.

I haven't looked at the sources yet, but would it be possible to automate the report generation from a .hprof file without involving any user interface? That way, users could send us an automatically generated memory analysis, without having to know what to do with a .hprof file, or how to use MAT themselves. If that was possible, we could finally get some decent bug reports that include really useful information, instead of "it just crashed" Smile

What do you think?

-Martin
Re: Post-mortem analysis [message #638744 is a reply to message #638742] Fri, 12 November 2010 12:54 Go to previous message
Krum Tsvetkov is currently offline Krum TsvetkovFriend
Hi Martin,

thanks for the good feedback!
And, Yes, it is possible to execute the reports in batch mode.
There is a script file ParseHeapDump under /mat. You can give it as parameter not only the dump to parse, but also the id of the report to be executed.
This are some comments from the script:

REM
REM This script parses a heap dump.
REM
REM Usage: ParseHeapDump.bat <path/to/dump.hprof> [report]*
REM
REM The leak report has the id org.eclipse.mat.api:suspects
REM

If you create your own reports, you can execute them the same way. The wiki pages about extending MAT are still in construcition, but I believe they are to some extend usable. You can find the links at the bottom here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php?title=MemoryAnalyzer/Contr ibutor_Reference#Writing_plugins_for_the_Memory_Analyzer

Let me know if this helps.

Krum
Previous Topic:Thread overview
Next Topic:Requested features
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:56:52 GMT 2024