Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [EMF Store] ECP - Can it be used without EMFStore?
[EMF Store] ECP - Can it be used without EMFStore? [message #637375] Fri, 05 November 2010 09:51 Go to next message
Nirmal Sasidharan
Messages: 120
Registered: July 2009
Location: Germany
Senior Member
Hello,

Thanks for the intro you gave at ESE 2010 to EMFStore and ECP. I am playing around a bit with these tools now.

When I read about ECP the wiki says "get started with an EMF model just in one-click". But when I go about it, it doesn't appear so. I perfectly understand why I would have to use the EMFStore metamodel as base if I need to use it with EMFStore to version my model (plus the other features you offer). Why do I have to do this if I need to use only ECP? Is my understanding wrong that I can use ECP standalone (that is without using any EMFStore features)? I would have expected to use ECP to edit any of my registered EMF models without modifying it.

Could you please clarify this?

Regards,
Nirmal

[Updated on: Fri, 05 November 2010 09:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [EMF Store] ECP - Really one click? [message #637436 is a reply to message #637375] Fri, 05 November 2010 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonas Helming is currently offline Jonas Helming
Messages: 455
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Nirmal
comments inline...

Nirmal Sasidharan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the intro you gave at ESE 2010 to EMFStore and ECP. I am
> playing around a bit with these tools now.
>
> When I read about ECP the wiki says "get started with an EMF model just
> in one-click". But when I go about it, it doesn't appear so. I perfectly
> understand why I would have to use the EMFStore metamodel as base if I
> need to use it with EMFStore to version my model (plus the other
> features you offer). Why do I have to do this if I need to use only ECP?
> Is my understanding wrong that I can use ECP standalone (that is without
> using any EMFStore features)? I would have expected to use ECP to edit
> any of my registered EMF models without modifying it.
> Could you please clarify this?

You do not need the meta-model to use EMF Client Platform. In fact, for
the upcoming version of EMFStore, your will not need this as well.

Could you please tell me, which documentation you got the information
about the meta-model from? This is updated. I suggest you use this
getting started: http://code.google.com/p/unicase/wiki/ECPDocumentation


regards
Jonas




>
> Regards,
> Nirmal
Re: [EMF Store] ECP - Really one click? [message #637449 is a reply to message #637436] Fri, 05 November 2010 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nirmal Sasidharan
Messages: 120
Registered: July 2009
Location: Germany
Senior Member
Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the quick reply.

It was my mistake. I did read the documentation from the same place, but missed the step http://code.google.com/p/unicase/wiki/RegisterModel. I did not read the name of the extension point correctly. I thought you were referring to
org.eclipse.emf.ecore.generated_package
and skipped the step as my metamodel was already registered. Thanks for the pointer.

But again going to back to the original question, why is this extension required if my package is already registered?

Can I ...

1. use ECP from the UI (for example, by right clicking a ecore file and creating a reflective instance editor)?

2. programmatically open the ECP editor without any additional registrations?

Regards,
Nirmal
Re: [EMF Store] ECP - Really one click? [message #637451 is a reply to message #637449] Fri, 05 November 2010 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonas Helming is currently offline Jonas Helming
Messages: 455
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Nirmal,
comments inline...
>
> It was my mistake. I did read the documentation from the same place, but
> missed the step http://code.google.com/p/unicase/wiki/RegisterModel I
> did not read the name of the extension point correctly. I thought you
> were referring to org.eclipse.emf.ecore.generated_package and skipped
> the step as my metamodel was already registered. Thanks for the pointer.
> But again going to back to the original question, why is this extension
> required if my package is already registered?

You actually do not have to :-) The reason for this registration is the
following: If EMF Client Platform would just load every registered
package, there are usually quite a lot packages. In most of the cases,
you only want to create your own model. EMF Client Platform will try to
"guess" what your model is and only show that model for most of the
cases. This should cover the "one click" use cases. If you want to make
sure, that only your model is displayed, you should to register it.

> Can I ...
> 1. use ECP from the UI (for example, by right clicking a ecore file and
> creating a reflective instance editor)?

That is definitly possible. We build this adapter once for a demo,
although this is not released yet. Currently, we are implementing this
to be included in EMF CP. It is actually only a few lines of code...
Would you be interested in that feature? I could provide the adapter to
you quite soon. Do you want to modify a custom model or ecore itself?

>
> 2. programmatically open the ECP editor without any additional
> registrations?

Yes, that is also possible. Do you want to do this in addition to the
first use case? Do you want to open only the editor for one element?
Could you please describe where you would like to open the editor from?

regards
Jonas




>
> Regards,
> Nirmal
Re: [EMF Store] ECP - Really one click? [message #637457 is a reply to message #637451] Fri, 05 November 2010 15:05 Go to previous message
Nirmal Sasidharan
Messages: 120
Registered: July 2009
Location: Germany
Senior Member
Hello Jonas,

Thanks again for your ultra quick reply Smile

At the moment I don't have a specific usecase but I am simply trying out things (before the momentum of ESE goes away) Smile It is nice to hear that I could use ECP out of the box (without any additional registrations etc). I will try to integrate ECP in place of a generated editor I have and get back to you with more questions/feedback.

Regards,
Nirmal

Previous Topic:[JS4EMF] Including JS4EMF in EMFT's web page
Next Topic:From Java Class to XMI
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Oct 24 19:02:53 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02460 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software