Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » "Patch fragment" vs. Equinox Transform Hooks(How to patch classes of an existing plug-in)
icon5.gif  "Patch fragment" vs. Equinox Transform Hooks [message #635697] Wed, 27 October 2010 18:10 Go to next message
Oliver Normann is currently offline Oliver NormannFriend
Hi,

actually i'm using Helios (Development) with a Ganymede target platform (Development/Build) and i'm facing a problem with patching an existing plug-in.

To patch a class i followed the process described here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Steps_to_use_Fragments_to_patch_a_plug-in
Although this is not an official method to achieve this functionality, it worked with Ganymede and Galileo, but not with Helios. Because i'm using a Ganymede target platform the built product is fine, but at development time the "Patch fragment" doesn't apply.

To go the official way i was thinking about using Equinox transform hooks, especially the "replacement" method.

With some research i'm still not able to say:

1.) The "replacement" method is the right one to achieve this.
2.) Equinox transform hooks provide a method to patch a plug-in.

Are there any ways out there to slightly change the structure/behaviour of an existing class, that is, let's say unmodifiable?

Thanks for any hints.

Greetings
Oliver

Re: "Patch fragment" vs. Equinox Transform Hooks [message #636145 is a reply to message #635697] Fri, 29 October 2010 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Watson is currently offline Thomas WatsonFriend
What you describe sounds like a bug in Helios. Can you please open a bug against the framework with steps to reproduce so we can investigate? Please open the bug against Framework at

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Equinox

Thanks.

Tom
Re: "Patch fragment" vs. Equinox Transform Hooks [message #636528 is a reply to message #636145] Mon, 01 November 2010 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Thomas,

thanks for your reply.

I recently managed to get this running in small, clean scenario (not using a TP) to have a demo in case this is a real bug.

Now i'm going to test this on another machine. After this succeed i'll use a TP again to draw near the scenario in which i faced the problem described above.

I'll keep you informed, thanks.

Oliver
Re: "Patch fragment" vs. Equinox Transform Hooks [message #636707 is a reply to message #636145] Tue, 02 November 2010 14:10 Go to previous message
Hi again,

after a lot of tests on different machines (X86, X86_64) and different IDEs (Galileo, Helios) i found out that the desired behavior differs.

So i guess we have a bug here. However there are ways to live with it. A test project can be found in Bugzilla.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=329260

Greetings
Oliver

[Updated on: Tue, 02 November 2010 14:32]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Repository created by FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher doesn't show any items inside eclipse
Next Topic:How to disable prompt for restart?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:56:58 GMT 2024