Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Diagram generation from models
Diagram generation from models [message #632216] Tue, 12 October 2010 06:56 Go to next message
Jan Reimann is currently offline Jan Reimann
Messages: 127
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Currently the generation of diagram files from existing UML models
doesn't exist. But since the UML2Tools are not part of Helios anymore we
must use Papyrus as new graphical modeling environment. To make the
transfer easier it would be very nice if I could generate new Papyrus
diagrams from existing models. When is this feature planned to be
integrated?

best regards,
Gilbert
Re: Diagram generation from models [message #632745 is a reply to message #632216] Thu, 14 October 2010 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Reimann is currently offline Jan Reimann
Messages: 127
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
never?
Re: Diagram generation from models [message #633210 is a reply to message #632216] Fri, 15 October 2010 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raphael Faudou is currently offline Raphael Faudou
Messages: 80
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Gilbert,

There are two different things : 1/create a Papyrus model from .uml file
and 2/initialize diagrams from existing UML elements.

What you can already do is 1/
You just start from .uml file and then create a Papyrus model with 3
associated files (.uml, .di and .notation). To do that, you just have to
select your .uml model and then right click "New>papyrus model". I
creates a Papyrus model and from the "model explorer" view you can
create diagrams on which you will be able to drag and drop existing UML
elements.

Concerning 2/ it is more complex as we need to determine which elements
should be on the diagram and which sould not. If we apply the strategy
to put all elements from a given package, when you start from a large
..uml model, the initialization of a class diagram might lead to layout
problems. Well, this feature requires discussions and probably some
configuration to handle the different possible usages.

Please let us know which use case you would like to see in Papyrus and
we can submit a feature on that.
regards
Raphaël
Papyrus team



Le 12/10/2010 08:56, Jan Reimann a écrit :
> Currently the generation of diagram files from existing UML models
> doesn't exist. But since the UML2Tools are not part of Helios anymore we
> must use Papyrus as new graphical modeling environment. To make the
> transfer easier it would be very nice if I could generate new Papyrus
> diagrams from existing models. When is this feature planned to be
> integrated?
>
> best regards,
> Gilbert
Re: Diagram generation from models [message #633485 is a reply to message #633210] Mon, 18 October 2010 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: formatzeh.gmx.de

Hi Raphaël,
thanks for your reply. I'm interested in the second use case since I'm
in the situation that I have a lot of UML models created with the
UML2Tools. So - to overcome the new diagram environment Papyrus it
should be possible to easily generate (or initialize) diagrams from the
old models. I only can say that, until now, Papyrus is not a solution
because of that missing feature. I recognized that the UML2Tools are
missing in Helios, so I tried out Papyrus and could not generate new
diagrams for my old models. So I installed some snapshot of the
UML2Tools. But I'm willing to use Papyrus. So initializing a new diagram
with all model elements included would be a solution for me. The layout
is another problem. But there is a group having some layout ideas.
Consider the following link:
http://rtsys.informatik.uni-kiel.de/trac/kieler
An initial nice layout can be set with their framework and the rest must
be done by the user. For me it sounds great :)

best regards,
Gilbert


raphaël Faudou wrote:
> Hi Gilbert,
>
> There are two different things : 1/create a Papyrus model from .uml file
> and 2/initialize diagrams from existing UML elements.
>
> What you can already do is 1/
> You just start from .uml file and then create a Papyrus model with 3
> associated files (.uml, .di and .notation). To do that, you just have to
> select your .uml model and then right click "New>papyrus model". I
> creates a Papyrus model and from the "model explorer" view you can
> create diagrams on which you will be able to drag and drop existing UML
> elements.
>
> Concerning 2/ it is more complex as we need to determine which elements
> should be on the diagram and which sould not. If we apply the strategy
> to put all elements from a given package, when you start from a large
> .uml model, the initialization of a class diagram might lead to layout
> problems. Well, this feature requires discussions and probably some
> configuration to handle the different possible usages.
>
> Please let us know which use case you would like to see in Papyrus and
> we can submit a feature on that.
> regards
> Raphaël
> Papyrus team
>
>
>
> Le 12/10/2010 08:56, Jan Reimann a écrit :
>> Currently the generation of diagram files from existing UML models
>> doesn't exist. But since the UML2Tools are not part of Helios anymore we
>> must use Papyrus as new graphical modeling environment. To make the
>> transfer easier it would be very nice if I could generate new Papyrus
>> diagrams from existing models. When is this feature planned to be
>> integrated?
>>
>> best regards,
>> Gilbert
>
Re: Diagram generation from models [message #633505 is a reply to message #633485] Mon, 18 October 2010 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raphael Faudou is currently offline Raphael Faudou
Messages: 80
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Gilbert,

if we can find time to initialize a few diagrams, which initializations
would you like to see in proiority? class diagram? what else?
regards
raphaël

Le 18/10/2010 10:01, Gilbert Mirenque a écrit :
> Hi Raphaël,
> thanks for your reply. I'm interested in the second use case since I'm
> in the situation that I have a lot of UML models created with the
> UML2Tools. So - to overcome the new diagram environment Papyrus it
> should be possible to easily generate (or initialize) diagrams from the
> old models. I only can say that, until now, Papyrus is not a solution
> because of that missing feature. I recognized that the UML2Tools are
> missing in Helios, so I tried out Papyrus and could not generate new
> diagrams for my old models. So I installed some snapshot of the
> UML2Tools. But I'm willing to use Papyrus. So initializing a new diagram
> with all model elements included would be a solution for me. The layout
> is another problem. But there is a group having some layout ideas.
> Consider the following link:
> http://rtsys.informatik.uni-kiel.de/trac/kieler
> An initial nice layout can be set with their framework and the rest must
> be done by the user. For me it sounds great :)
>
> best regards,
> Gilbert
>
>
> raphaël Faudou wrote:
>> Hi Gilbert,
>>
>> There are two different things : 1/create a Papyrus model from .uml file
>> and 2/initialize diagrams from existing UML elements.
>>
>> What you can already do is 1/
>> You just start from .uml file and then create a Papyrus model with 3
>> associated files (.uml, .di and .notation). To do that, you just have to
>> select your .uml model and then right click "New>papyrus model". I
>> creates a Papyrus model and from the "model explorer" view you can
>> create diagrams on which you will be able to drag and drop existing UML
>> elements.
>>
>> Concerning 2/ it is more complex as we need to determine which elements
>> should be on the diagram and which sould not. If we apply the strategy
>> to put all elements from a given package, when you start from a large
>> .uml model, the initialization of a class diagram might lead to layout
>> problems. Well, this feature requires discussions and probably some
>> configuration to handle the different possible usages.
>>
>> Please let us know which use case you would like to see in Papyrus and
>> we can submit a feature on that.
>> regards
>> Raphaël
>> Papyrus team
>>
>>
>>
>> Le 12/10/2010 08:56, Jan Reimann a écrit :
>>> Currently the generation of diagram files from existing UML models
>>> doesn't exist. But since the UML2Tools are not part of Helios anymore we
>>> must use Papyrus as new graphical modeling environment. To make the
>>> transfer easier it would be very nice if I could generate new Papyrus
>>> diagrams from existing models. When is this feature planned to be
>>> integrated?
>>>
>>> best regards,
>>> Gilbert
>>
Re: Diagram generation from models [message #633507 is a reply to message #633485] Mon, 18 October 2010 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad Varnica
Messages: 546
Registered: July 2009
Location: Milton Keynes - UK
Senior Member
I have a customer having the same problem. He has created many UML2 models and refuse to loose them.

The trick was to purchase an EclipseUML Omondo license and then merge all his models in one big model. I mean he just drag and dropped each of his model at the root of its Java project. He has then open a blank class diagram. Each time the first element is dragged and dropped into a class diagram the the entire model is merged with the project model.
He has done it with multiples models. I think more than 50 and has consolidated everything in a single model.
He was able to update and consolidate its model to UML 2.2, 2.3 etc...from is existing old model.

It was not possible to recover diagram presentation but using the layout, show hide inheritence, association etc... he was able to rebuild in less that 10 min views of its model. My customer has created more than 200 views from it 50 models. It means that the granularity is better if you merge models than just trying to rebuild graphical views.
Hope this help.

Sorry for this post which is related to a paid tool but it is important to know that if you use any UML2 Eclipse tools you will never loose your models because EclipseUML can load all of them and consolidate them.
We will even provide free model updates which would be compatible with any other tools (e.g. RSA, Papyrus, Topcased etc.....). Just ask us for help and the model update is free during evaluation. I mean no tag in the model, no copyright etc.... we only charge the Java integration but not the model which belongs to the community.

Vlad,
Re: Diagram generation from models [message #633535 is a reply to message #633505] Mon, 18 October 2010 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: formatzeh.gmx.de

Hi Raphaël,
Class diagrams and state charts would be nice.

best regards,
Gilbert

raphaël Faudou wrote:
> Hi Gilbert,
>
> if we can find time to initialize a few diagrams, which initializations
> would you like to see in proiority? class diagram? what else?
> regards
> raphaël
>
> Le 18/10/2010 10:01, Gilbert Mirenque a écrit :
>> Hi Raphaël,
>> thanks for your reply. I'm interested in the second use case since I'm
>> in the situation that I have a lot of UML models created with the
>> UML2Tools. So - to overcome the new diagram environment Papyrus it
>> should be possible to easily generate (or initialize) diagrams from the
>> old models. I only can say that, until now, Papyrus is not a solution
>> because of that missing feature. I recognized that the UML2Tools are
>> missing in Helios, so I tried out Papyrus and could not generate new
>> diagrams for my old models. So I installed some snapshot of the
>> UML2Tools. But I'm willing to use Papyrus. So initializing a new diagram
>> with all model elements included would be a solution for me. The layout
>> is another problem. But there is a group having some layout ideas.
>> Consider the following link:
>> http://rtsys.informatik.uni-kiel.de/trac/kieler
>> An initial nice layout can be set with their framework and the rest must
>> be done by the user. For me it sounds great :)
>>
>> best regards,
>> Gilbert
>>
>>
>> raphaël Faudou wrote:
>>> Hi Gilbert,
>>>
>>> There are two different things : 1/create a Papyrus model from .uml file
>>> and 2/initialize diagrams from existing UML elements.
>>>
>>> What you can already do is 1/
>>> You just start from .uml file and then create a Papyrus model with 3
>>> associated files (.uml, .di and .notation). To do that, you just have to
>>> select your .uml model and then right click "New>papyrus model". I
>>> creates a Papyrus model and from the "model explorer" view you can
>>> create diagrams on which you will be able to drag and drop existing UML
>>> elements.
>>>
>>> Concerning 2/ it is more complex as we need to determine which elements
>>> should be on the diagram and which sould not. If we apply the strategy
>>> to put all elements from a given package, when you start from a large
>>> .uml model, the initialization of a class diagram might lead to layout
>>> problems. Well, this feature requires discussions and probably some
>>> configuration to handle the different possible usages.
>>>
>>> Please let us know which use case you would like to see in Papyrus and
>>> we can submit a feature on that.
>>> regards
>>> Raphaël
>>> Papyrus team
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Le 12/10/2010 08:56, Jan Reimann a écrit :
>>>> Currently the generation of diagram files from existing UML models
>>>> doesn't exist. But since the UML2Tools are not part of Helios
>>>> anymore we
>>>> must use Papyrus as new graphical modeling environment. To make the
>>>> transfer easier it would be very nice if I could generate new Papyrus
>>>> diagrams from existing models. When is this feature planned to be
>>>> integrated?
>>>>
>>>> best regards,
>>>> Gilbert
>>>
>
Re: Diagram generation from models [message #634603 is a reply to message #633535] Fri, 22 October 2010 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave Carlson is currently offline Dave Carlson
Messages: 399
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
This is also a critical feature for my evaluation of Papyrus in healthcare modeling. We create new UML models by transforming from other healthcare model representations, then create a number of class diagram views of the new model. We've had very good results using Rational Software Architect, but hope to use Papyrus as well in the future.

In testing Papyrus, I can initialize a new .di model from my .uml model, then create class diagrams. But when I drag several related classes onto a new diagram I need the relevant associations to be added automatically. I tested UML2Tools a few months ago and I believe this capability was there (using the dialog to choose classes to add onto a diagram).

Any chance of getting this capability into Papyrus class diagrams?
Re: Diagram generation from models [message #634634 is a reply to message #634603] Fri, 22 October 2010 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raphael Faudou is currently offline Raphael Faudou
Messages: 80
Registered: July 2009
Member
I agree to say that is a very important feature. It is the way to
capture existing relationships from the model without exploring the
whole model.
+1
raphaël
Le 22/10/2010 14:28, Dave Carlson a écrit :
> This is also a critical feature for my evaluation of Papyrus in
> healthcare modeling. We create new UML models by transforming from other
> healthcare model representations, then create a number of class diagram
> views of the new model. We've had very good results using Rational
> Software Architect, but hope to use Papyrus as well in the future.
>
> In testing Papyrus, I can initialize a new .di model from my .uml model,
> then create class diagrams. But when I drag several related classes onto
> a new diagram I need the relevant associations to be added
> automatically. I tested UML2Tools a few months ago and I believe this
> capability was there (using the dialog to choose classes to add onto a
> diagram).
>
> Any chance of getting this capability into Papyrus class diagrams?
icon7.gif  Re: Diagram generation from models [message #635324 is a reply to message #634634] Tue, 26 October 2010 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastien Gerard is currently offline Sebastien Gerard
Messages: 115
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

at CEA, we are working on a tool that will enable you to edit model creation heuritics and then you will be able to apply these heuristics in order to create automatically diagrams in Papyrus from an existing UML model. For example, you will be able to say that I want to create a package diagram for each package of my model and these class diagrams will show all the public classes contained in the diagrams and all the operations of each class. This tool should be ready in few days. To be informed on that feature, you can follow the bugs item: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=328693
Re: Diagram generation from models [message #635325 is a reply to message #635324] Tue, 26 October 2010 12:45 Go to previous message
Dave Carlson is currently offline Dave Carlson
Messages: 399
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Thank you Sabastien, I am CCed on the bug and look forward to testing this feature.

Another scenario for testing that I tried last week: use a WSDL specification with XML Schemas to reverse-engineer into a UML specification. I am testing this for healthcare specifications. I used XSD to create Ecore model, then converted Ecore to UML. We then need to create class and sequence diagrams to document this service specification.
Previous Topic:Navigate from an element in a diagram to the element in the Model Explorer
Next Topic:Adding action box to Lifeline in Sequence Diagram
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Oct 02 08:39:55 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.10867 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software