Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Techniques for exchanging data between Eclipse and a Running Process
Techniques for exchanging data between Eclipse and a Running Process [message #630761] Mon, 04 October 2010 19:45 Go to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
Hi Guys,

I'm new to eclipse plugin development and want to create a launch plugin that can provide some degree of command and control over a process running externally to eclipse. Can anyone point me to any documentation on the standard ways to do this? The plugin will launch an executable and have plugin control over pausing and resuming the exe.

Thanks,

pawpaw17

Re: Techniques for exchanging data between Eclipse and a Running Process [message #631071 is a reply to message #630761] Wed, 06 October 2010 06:33 Go to previous message
Florian Philipp is currently offline Florian PhilippFriend
I'm not aware of any special functions or concepts for doing this in Eclipse or OSGi in general. That means that you are left with the limited abilities which Java itself provides (just google for it).

If you need better control over the external process, you might need some platform-specific C-code in your Eclipse application (for example for accessing POSIX-features on a Unix/Linux-platform). For this, I recommend you take a look at SWIG, JNA and JNI.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp
Previous Topic:How to refresh Eclipse launch configurations programmatically?
Next Topic:Automatic updates of features installed in eclipse via link file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:08:07 GMT 2024