Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » ECF Skype Provider
ECF Skype Provider [message #614895] Tue, 17 April 2007 22:50 Go to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott Lewis
Messages: 970
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Folks,

I've been working on a Skype Provider implementation for ECF presence
and call APIs. Here's some screen shots and info here:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Skype_Provider

These plugins use the Skype4Java API:
https://developer.skype.com/wiki/Java_API

In addition, Marcelo Mayworm is working on a Mac OSX fragment, and
hopefully soon we'll be able to work on a Linux fragment (Skype4Java has
native libs to support win32, macosx, and Linux platforms).

Scott
Re: ECF Skype Provider [message #614897 is a reply to message #614895] Wed, 18 April 2007 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Blewitt is currently offline Alex Blewitt
Messages: 946
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Very cool :-)

Alex.
Re: ECF Skype Provider [message #614899 is a reply to message #614895] Wed, 18 April 2007 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eugene Kuleshov is currently offline Eugene Kuleshov
Messages: 505
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Very cool indeed. It is also good to see improvements in the ECF UI.

One minor suggestion, can you please make those neat ECF icons less
"acid"? Perhaps use color palette closer to the Eclipse colors (i.e.
indigo color). See http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/ and
http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/eclipse_graphic_guidelines.pd f

Thanks

Eugene


Scott Lewis wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been working on a Skype Provider implementation for ECF presence
> and call APIs. Here's some screen shots and info here:
>
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Skype_Provider
>
> These plugins use the Skype4Java API:
> https://developer.skype.com/wiki/Java_API
>
> In addition, Marcelo Mayworm is working on a Mac OSX fragment, and
> hopefully soon we'll be able to work on a Linux fragment (Skype4Java
> has native libs to support win32, macosx, and Linux platforms).
>
> Scott
>
Re: ECF Skype Provider [message #615228 is a reply to message #614899] Wed, 18 April 2007 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remy Suen is currently offline Remy Suen
Messages: 462
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Eugene,

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:17:55 -0400, Eugene Kuleshov wrote:
> One minor suggestion, can you please make those neat ECF icons less
> "acid"?

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by "acid" here. Do you mean
that it should have less of a gradient tinge to it?

> Perhaps use color palette closer to the Eclipse colors (i.e.
> indigo color). See http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/ and
> http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/eclipse_graphic_guidelines.pd f

I used blue because blue/yellow are the dominant colours. [1] I didn't use
purple because it kind of implied something to do with the web and/or a
"part/fraction" of something (as noted by its use as "fragments" and Java
interfaces). Certainly, your contacts have something to do with the "web",
but I think you know what I mean.

[1] -
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/UI_Graphics_:_Design_:_Sty le_%26_Design#Color

Regards,
Rem
Re: ECF Skype Provider [message #615235 is a reply to message #614899] Wed, 18 April 2007 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott Lewis
Messages: 970
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Eugene,

Eugene Kuleshov wrote:
>
> Very cool indeed. It is also good to see improvements in the ECF UI.

Yes. Just to clarify about this a little...these changes are much more
than skin deep. The roster view and the chat/messages view are brand
new classes, and now located in org.eclipse.ecf.presence.ui bundle (not
in org.eclipse.ecf.ui). They are much simpler and smaller, and they can
now be extended by other bundles via extension points...e.g.
menuContribution and command extension points. As an example of this,
the Skype UI adds a menuContribution to the dynamic context menu to
'Call Roland'.

>
> One minor suggestion, can you please make those neat ECF icons less
> "acid"? Perhaps use color palette closer to the Eclipse colors (i.e.
> indigo color). See http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/ and
> http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/eclipse_graphic_guidelines.pd f

Purely by coincidence, this seems to be exactly the same color that
Skype uses.

But I'm personally OK with changing the color palette...as long as other
developers and users agree. Eugene would you please file a new bug to
this effect so we can track and get other comments...and contributions?

Thanks,

Scott
Re: ECF Skype Provider (icons) [message #615238 is a reply to message #615228] Wed, 18 April 2007 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eugene Kuleshov is currently offline Eugene Kuleshov
Messages: 505
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Remy Suen wrote:
>> One minor suggestion, can you please make those neat ECF icons less
>> "acid"?
>>
> Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by "acid" here. Do you mean
> that it should have less of a gradient tinge to it?
>
I meant that color is too bright and distracting.
Even comparing with blue color used in other Eclipse icons (i.e.
folder icons) it feels considerably brighter.
>> Perhaps use color palette closer to the Eclipse colors (i.e.
>> indigo color). See http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/ and
>> http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/eclipse_graphic_guidelines.pd f
>>
> I used blue because blue/yellow are the dominant colours. [1] I didn't use
> purple because it kind of implied something to do with the web and/or a
> "part/fraction" of something (as noted by its use as "fragments" and Java
> interfaces). Certainly, your contacts have something to do with the "web",
> but I think you know what I mean.
>
I think that icon shape will speak for itself, but colors should not
be visually shouting and instead should fit nicely with other Eclipse
icons. Maybe ECF can ask for help from Eclipse/Platform icon designers
(i.e. Kimberley Peter).

regards,
Eugene
Re: ECF Skype Provider [message #615244 is a reply to message #615235] Wed, 18 April 2007 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eugene Kuleshov is currently offline Eugene Kuleshov
Messages: 505
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Scott Lewis wrote:
>> Very cool indeed. It is also good to see improvements in the ECF UI.
> Yes. Just to clarify about this a little...these changes are much
> more than skin deep. The roster view and the chat/messages view are
> brand new classes, and now located in org.eclipse.ecf.presence.ui
> bundle (not in org.eclipse.ecf.ui). They are much simpler and
> smaller, and they can now be extended by other bundles via extension
> points...e.g. menuContribution and command extension points. As an
> example of this, the Skype UI adds a menuContribution to the dynamic
> context menu to 'Call Roland'.
By the way, Scott, are you planning to publish dev build for Skype
provider to ecf.extras update site any time soon?
>> One minor suggestion, can you please make those neat ECF icons less
>> "acid"? Perhaps use color palette closer to the Eclipse colors (i.e.
>> indigo color). See http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/ and
>> http://www.eclipse.org/artwork/eclipse_graphic_guidelines.pd f
> Purely by coincidence, this seems to be exactly the same color that
> Skype uses.
>
> But I'm personally OK with changing the color palette...as long as
> other developers and users agree. Eugene would you please file a new
> bug to this effect so we can track and get other comments...and
> contributions?
183015: Make ECF icons look closer to other Eclipse icons
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=183015

regards,
Eugene
Re: ECF Skype Provider [message #615248 is a reply to message #615244] Wed, 18 April 2007 22:35 Go to previous message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott Lewis
Messages: 970
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Eugene,

Eugene Kuleshov wrote:
> Scott Lewis wrote:
>>> Very cool indeed. It is also good to see improvements in the ECF UI.
>> Yes. Just to clarify about this a little...these changes are much
>> more than skin deep. The roster view and the chat/messages view are
>> brand new classes, and now located in org.eclipse.ecf.presence.ui
>> bundle (not in org.eclipse.ecf.ui). They are much simpler and
>> smaller, and they can now be extended by other bundles via extension
>> points...e.g. menuContribution and command extension points. As an
>> example of this, the Skype UI adds a menuContribution to the dynamic
>> context menu to 'Call Roland'.
> By the way, Scott, are you planning to publish dev build for Skype
> provider to ecf.extras update site any time soon?


Depends upon what you mean by 'soon'. We've got some plugin namespace
changes to make to the call API over next couple of days (i.e.
org.eclipse.ecf.call -> org.eclipse.ecf.telephony.call), and this will
obviously affect the Skype provider (since it implements the call API).
We also have some Europa build things to take care of prior to working
on adding such a feature to the OSUOSL extras build. Finally I would
like to add some answering/ringing UI just for coolness...but would like
to get some sound contributions under EPL (see bug:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=182840).

So I would ETA that for around Tues of next week (24)...adjusting for
(at least my) unrelated other tasks/work.

Scott
Previous Topic:State of ECF
Next Topic:OSGi XMPP
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Sep 15 02:06:35 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.08787 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software