Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » Jingle / VoIP status
Jingle / VoIP status [message #613290] Sat, 17 February 2007 19:43 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: maarten.mulders.student.eur.nl

Hi all,

today I was browsing the Google SoC pages. I was glad to found that,
last year, Eclipse also was a mentoring organization. Reading the
Eclipse / SoC page I found the ECF. Never earlier heard of it, but it
really sounds great! I have had to do several programming projects as a
part of my study, and we always had the problem of communicating about
code over large distances. ECF might be the thing I've been looking for.
This Eclipse / SoC page gave the suggestion to implement a Voice-over-IP
client as RCP application using the ECF call API and Jingle. I am not
sure whether this means to enable ECF to "speak" jingle, or to make a
stand-alone application. Could anybody clear my mind in this case?
Secondly, I am wondering if Eclipse will participate in SoC 2007. Does
anybody know? Could the foregoing be a SoC-project?

Kind regards,

Maarten Th. Mulders
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Re: Jingle / VoIP status [message #613291 is a reply to message #613290] Sun, 18 February 2007 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott Lewis
Messages: 971
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Maarten,

Maarten Th. Mulders wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> today I was browsing the Google SoC pages. I was glad to found that,
> last year, Eclipse also was a mentoring organization. Reading the
> Eclipse / SoC page I found the ECF. Never earlier heard of it, but it
> really sounds great! I have had to do several programming projects as a
> part of my study, and we always had the problem of communicating about
> code over large distances. ECF might be the thing I've been looking for.
> This Eclipse / SoC page gave the suggestion to implement a Voice-over-IP
> client as RCP application using the ECF call API and Jingle. I am not
> sure whether this means to enable ECF to "speak" jingle, or to make a
> stand-alone application. Could anybody clear my mind in this case?

It does mean enabling ECF to 'speak' jingle (by implementing an ECF call
API provider via the Smack Jingle extensions). This is what Roland Fru,
Pierre Henry Perret and myself have primarily been working on.

It also means creating a stand-alone RCP application (e.g. soft phone/IM
app). We would like to have done this already, but have not had the
resources to work on this yet. We would welcome contributions and/or
contributors/committers specifically to do this with us.

> Secondly, I am wondering if Eclipse will participate in SoC 2007.

My understanding is that yes, Eclipse will participate in SoC 2007.

Does
> anybody know? Could the foregoing be a SoC-project?

Yes, absolutely. It could be a great project, I think...particularly if
we can connect it with the ongoing work by Roland, Pierre and myself.

You also might want to join the ecf-dev@eclipse.org mailing list

http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/maillist.php

I'm forwarding this note to that mailing list as well so that Roland and
Pierre can be made aware of your interest.

Thanks,

Scott

>
> Kind regards,
>
> Maarten Th. Mulders
> Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Re: Jingle / VoIP status [message #613292 is a reply to message #613291] Tue, 20 February 2007 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: maarten.mulders.student.eur.nl

Hi Scott e.a.,

Scott Lewis wrote:
> Hi Maarten,
>
> <some stuff>
>> This Eclipse / SoC page gave the suggestion to implement a Voice-over-IP
>> client as RCP application using the ECF call API and Jingle. I am not
>> sure whether this means to enable ECF to "speak" jingle, or to make a
>> stand-alone application. Could anybody clear my mind in this case?
>
> It does mean enabling ECF to 'speak' jingle (by implementing an ECF call
> API provider via the Smack Jingle extensions). This is what Roland Fru,
> Pierre Henry Perret and myself have primarily been working on.
>
> It also means creating a stand-alone RCP application (e.g. soft phone/IM
> app). We would like to have done this already, but have not had the
> resources to work on this yet. We would welcome contributions and/or
> contributors/committers specifically to do this with us.
>
>> Secondly, I am wondering if Eclipse will participate in SoC 2007.
>
> My understanding is that yes, Eclipse will participate in SoC 2007.
>
>> Could the foregoing be a SoC-project?
>
> Yes, absolutely. It could be a great project, I think...particularly if
> we can connect it with the ongoing work by Roland, Pierre and myself.
>

I guess that this project would require me (or whoever else) to have a
thorough understanding of the ECF API? I have not yet had too much time
to take a look at it. Do you consider it an easy-to-understand API?
To give you an idea of API's I've been working with before: I've created
an add-in to Weka [1] and I am currently working with Jena [2] and
Pellet [3].
Please don't misunderstand me: I am not lazy, nor unwilling to get
familiar with new frameworks. The only thing is: I never build Eclipse
applications, nor extended Eclipse. I am afraid that would be my
"deficiencies". Could you shed any light on this?

> You also might want to join the ecf-dev@eclipse.org mailing list
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/maillist.php
>

I did. Thank you.


Kind regards,
Maarten Th. Mulders
Rotterdam, the Netherlands

References:
[1] http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka/
[2] http://jena.sf.net/
[3] http://pellet.owldl.com/
Re: Jingle / VoIP status [message #613293 is a reply to message #613292] Tue, 20 February 2007 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott Lewis
Messages: 971
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Maarten,

Maarten Th. Mulders wrote:
> Hi Scott e.a.,
>
<stuff deleted>
>>
>
> I guess that this project would require me (or whoever else) to have a
> thorough understanding of the ECF API? I have not yet had too much time
> to take a look at it. Do you consider it an easy-to-understand API?
> To give you an idea of API's I've been working with before: I've created
> an add-in to Weka [1] and I am currently working with Jena [2] and
> Pellet [3].

I've personally not worked with either of these systems (Jena or Weka).
ECF is relatively simple in concept. There is a basic container
instance that provides access to 0 or more 'container adapters'. These
adapters implement an API of specific kind of communication
(presence/IM/chat/file transfer/data channels, etc).


> Please don't misunderstand me: I am not lazy, nor unwilling to get
> familiar with new frameworks. The only thing is: I never build Eclipse
> applications, nor extended Eclipse. I am afraid that would be my
> "deficiencies". Could you shed any light on this?

I think that ECF's APIs would not be that hard for you relative to all
the other Eclipse frameworks and APIs (e.g. UI: SWT, JFace, other RCP
apis/OSGI, etc). Eclipse/RCP has a lot of APIs for user interface
creation/plugin lifecycle, etc., etc. so I think these would take more
effort to learn than ECF itself.

Scott
Re: Jingle / VoIP status [message #613299 is a reply to message #613291] Tue, 06 March 2007 00:34 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: maarten.mulders.student.eur.nl

Hi Scott e.a.,

unfortunately, I've had to decide that I can't join SoC 2007. I'm afraid
it will be too much work compared to my current workload. I have to
write a Bachelor's Thesis, to mention just one of my future occupations.
I do not exclude the opportunity of joining ECF, for I think it's a
great project. However, I am not sure what to do. Any hints for me?

Regards,

Maarten

Scott Lewis schreef:
> Hi Maarten,
>
> It does mean enabling ECF to 'speak' jingle (by implementing an ECF call
> API provider via the Smack Jingle extensions). This is what Roland Fru,
> Pierre Henry Perret and myself have primarily been working on.
>
> It also means creating a stand-alone RCP application (e.g. soft phone/IM
> app). We would like to have done this already, but have not had the
> resources to work on this yet. We would welcome contributions and/or
> contributors/committers specifically to do this with us.
>
> My understanding is that yes, Eclipse will participate in SoC 2007.
>
> Yes, absolutely. It could be a great project, I think...particularly if
> we can connect it with the ongoing work by Roland, Pierre and myself.
>
> You also might want to join the ecf-dev@eclipse.org mailing list
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/maillist.php
>
> I'm forwarding this note to that mailing list as well so that Roland and
> Pierre can be made aware of your interest.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
Previous Topic:Scott and EclipseCon
Next Topic:Wizard for ECF container config/connect dialog
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Oct 22 23:03:52 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01812 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software