Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » datashare questions
datashare questions [message #601172] Wed, 15 March 2006 13:21 Go to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 5590
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

There is something called datashare.
Why is it called datashare? From looking at the code
it is used to send messages through channels of a container.
A channel itself seems to be an ISharedObject of an
ISharedContainer. Should it better be called "channelshare"?

I find these concepts quite confusing (certainly my problem ;-) )
There is a DatashareContainer extends TCPClientSOContainer
implements IChannelContainer and a DatashareContainerAdapter
implements IChannelContainer and the DatashareContainer
has a member field "adapter" of type DatashareContainerAdapter.

Maybe it'd become clearer if I could start the datashare examples.
But there are several errors in the datashare.rmi and the
example.datashare.hello plugins, among them:

org.eclipse.ecf.datashare.JoinException and
org.eclipse.ecf.datashare.ReceiveException cannot be resolved.

Cheers
/Eike
Re: datashare questions [message #601194 is a reply to message #601172] Wed, 15 March 2006 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
Messages: 975
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Eike,

Eike Stepper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is something called datashare.
> Why is it called datashare? From looking at the code
> it is used to send messages through channels of a container.
> A channel itself seems to be an ISharedObject of an
> ISharedContainer. Should it better be called "channelshare"?

It could reasonably be called 'channelshare'...but channels are just
intended to be a conduit for sharing arbitrary data...and we had
previously been using 'datashare' for this API before the notion of a
channel was introduced...so we stayed with datashare. Datashare -> API
name, IChannel -> oncept in API for sharing data.

>
> I find these concepts quite confusing (certainly my problem ;-) )
> There is a DatashareContainer extends TCPClientSOContainer
> implements IChannelContainer and a DatashareContainerAdapter
> implements IChannelContainer and the DatashareContainer
> has a member field "adapter" of type DatashareContainerAdapter.

The org.eclipse.ecf.provider.datashare.DatashareContainer class could
reasonable be changed to ChannelContainer for consistency and
clarity...sorry about that. But it's not really intended to be part of
the datashare API (i.e. it's not exposed via the
org.eclipse.ecf.datashare API plugin).

>
> Maybe it'd become clearer if I could start the datashare examples.
> But there are several errors in the datashare.rmi and the
> example.datashare.hello plugins, among them:
>
> org.eclipse.ecf.datashare.JoinException and
> org.eclipse.ecf.datashare.ReceiveException cannot be resolved.

These (datashare.rmi, and example.datashare.hello) are old code (old
datashare). Eventually they will be removed.

The new datashare code examples are:

org.eclipse.ecf.test.datashare plugin (Plugin Tests)

and in new tutorial plugin (for upcoming EclipseCon tutorial):

org.eclipse.ecf.tutorial

in org.eclipse.ecf.tutorial.datashare package and
org.eclipse.ecf.tutorial.scribbleshare (a new simple scribble
'whiteboard' application built using datashare).

Scott
Re: datashare questions [message #601209 is a reply to message #601194] Wed, 15 March 2006 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 5590
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Scott Lewis schrieb:
> Hi Eike,
>
> Eike Stepper wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is something called datashare.
>> Why is it called datashare? From looking at the code
>> it is used to send messages through channels of a container.
>> A channel itself seems to be an ISharedObject of an
>> ISharedContainer. Should it better be called "channelshare"?
>
> It could reasonably be called 'channelshare'...but channels are just
> intended to be a conduit for sharing arbitrary data...and we had
> previously been using 'datashare' for this API before the notion of a
> channel was introduced...so we stayed with datashare. Datashare -> API
> name, IChannel -> oncept in API for sharing data.

Ok, I actually didn't want to propose a name change ;-)
But names are so important for my understanding.


>> I find these concepts quite confusing (certainly my problem ;-) )
>> There is a DatashareContainer extends TCPClientSOContainer
>> implements IChannelContainer and a DatashareContainerAdapter
>> implements IChannelContainer and the DatashareContainer
>> has a member field "adapter" of type DatashareContainerAdapter.
>
> The org.eclipse.ecf.provider.datashare.DatashareContainer class could
> reasonable be changed to ChannelContainer for consistency and
> clarity...sorry about that. But it's not really intended to be part of
> the datashare API (i.e. it's not exposed via the
> org.eclipse.ecf.datashare API plugin).

Yes, one shouldn't need to look at implementation classes.
If only documentation was as easy to maintain as it is to read ;-)


>> Maybe it'd become clearer if I could start the datashare examples.
>> But there are several errors in the datashare.rmi and the
>> example.datashare.hello plugins, among them:
>>
>> org.eclipse.ecf.datashare.JoinException and
>> org.eclipse.ecf.datashare.ReceiveException cannot be resolved.
>
> These (datashare.rmi, and example.datashare.hello) are old code (old
> datashare). Eventually they will be removed.

Ahh, maybe I would not have run into this issue, if I had been able
to use the .psf file that you provide. But it did not work, so I
checked out everything.


> The new datashare code examples are:
>
> org.eclipse.ecf.test.datashare plugin (Plugin Tests)
>
> and in new tutorial plugin (for upcoming EclipseCon tutorial):
>
> org.eclipse.ecf.tutorial
>
> in org.eclipse.ecf.tutorial.datashare package and
> org.eclipse.ecf.tutorial.scribbleshare (a new simple scribble
> 'whiteboard' application built using datashare).

I'll have a look at these.

Many thanks
/Eike
Re: datashare questions [message #601227 is a reply to message #601209] Wed, 15 March 2006 20:06 Go to previous message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
Messages: 975
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Eike,

Eike Stepper wrote:
>
<stuff deleted>
>
> Yes, one shouldn't need to look at implementation classes.
> If only documentation was as easy to maintain as it is to read ;-)

Or to *create* is more the current problem.

>
>
>>> Maybe it'd become clearer if I could start the datashare examples.
>>> But there are several errors in the datashare.rmi and the
>>> example.datashare.hello plugins, among them:
>>>
>>> org.eclipse.ecf.datashare.JoinException and
>>> org.eclipse.ecf.datashare.ReceiveException cannot be resolved.
>>
>>
>> These (datashare.rmi, and example.datashare.hello) are old code (old
>> datashare). Eventually they will be removed.
>
>
> Ahh, maybe I would not have run into this issue, if I had been able
> to use the .psf file that you provide. But it did not work, so I
> checked out everything.

Yeah, unfortunately there is a platform bug in 3.2M5 and 3.2M5a that is
preventing loading from project set files (it isn't just ECF):

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=128707

My reading of the bug dialog here is that if one gets a new copy of the
org.eclipse.ecf.team.cvs plugin (after some specified integration build
version) all will be well, but frankly I haven't had a chance to do this
myself yet. Will do prior to EclipseCon and have available for tutorial
people, though...

>
>
>> The new datashare code examples are:
>>
>> org.eclipse.ecf.test.datashare plugin (Plugin Tests)
>>
>> and in new tutorial plugin (for upcoming EclipseCon tutorial):
>>
>> org.eclipse.ecf.tutorial
>>
>> in org.eclipse.ecf.tutorial.datashare package and
>> org.eclipse.ecf.tutorial.scribbleshare (a new simple scribble
>> 'whiteboard' application built using datashare).
>
>
> I'll have a look at these.

Great...there's more coming in terms of datashare example code...as
quickly as humanly possible...but for the next week or so it's going to
all be focussed on EclipseCon...so please be patient.

And I'll make another appeal...if people could volunteer to work with
the ECF committers to produce additional ECF programming
documentation/example code it would be most welcome. ECF (unlike most
projects) is all volunteer committers at this point, and so with a very
small volunteer team we're trying to support growing community
usage...both for the core APIs and adding/extending new APIs (datashare,
etc). This isn't meant as an excuse for the lack of complete
documentation...which I and others are embarrassed by...but it's more
meant by way of explanation. In other words, we need the community's
patience and help with this.

Thanks,

Scott
Previous Topic:Jxta Provider
Next Topic:server-side logic
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Dec 21 21:37:11 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.10075 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software