Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Faceted Project Framework » Default facets and Dynamic Preset
Default facets and Dynamic Preset [message #572315] Tue, 01 December 2009 20:01 Go to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
I received the following question via e-mail and I re-posting the question and my answers to the forum so that it can be preserved and available to others.

------------------

Hi Konstantin,

I am looking into the facets and runtime handling and I have a few question, feel free to provide a respond to each of them, or simply explain in your words what the story is.

Will the default configuration for a runtime will always show? is there a way to not show it ?
How about if instead of defining a set of default fixed-facets for my runtime (which are the default configuration using the defaultFacets extension point ) can I specify a dynamic-preset?

I also noticed that there is something called minimal configuration. But I am not clear on how to overwrite its function, further more, it seems that this will actually just match whatever is specified as the default facets for a runtime (ie. DefaultFacets extension point )

Best Regards,
-- --
Mr. Angel Vera
Server Tools Developer
Re: Default facets and Dynamic Preset [message #572336 is a reply to message #572315] Tue, 01 December 2009 20:17 Go to previous message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
> Will the default configuration for a runtime will always show? is
> there a way to not show it ?

Yes to first and no to second. The concept of the default configuration is a core system facility that needs to be available in all contexts. The configuration adapts itself to the situation at hand. For instance, if no runtime is selected, there is still a default configuration that is based on fixed facets and default versions specified by those facets. If a runtime is selected, each runtime component gets to independently contribute a set of default facets via the "defaultFacets" extension point that are synthesized into a single configuration.

> How about if instead of defining a set of default fixed-facets for
> my runtime (which are the default configuration using the
> defaultFacets extension point ) can I specify a dynamic-preset?

There is no way to replace the system default configuration with one supplied by a third party. What are you trying to achieve? A typical requirement that I heard is delivering a different set of default facets based on "project type". This is achievable directly with the defaultFacets extension point by using the context element (you tell it which combination of fixed facets your contribution should apply to).

> I also noticed that there is something called minimal
> configuration. But I am not clear on how to overwrite its
> function, further more, it seems that this will actually just
> match whatever is specified as the default facets for a runtime
> (ie. DefaultFacets extension point )

You cannot override minimal configuration either. The minimal configuration will not generally match the default configuration. The minimal configuration is strictly defined as consisting of only facets that are fixed in a given context. The defaultFacets extension point is consulted, but only in order to pick the facet version to select.

I hope that I answered your questions. If anything is not clear, please post follow-up questions on this forum thread.

Thanks,

- Konstantin
Previous Topic:modifying facet constraints programmatically
Next Topic:Default facets and Dynamic Preset
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:22:06 GMT 2024