|Conference Call Minutes [message #572271]
||Thu, 04 January 2007 21:41
| Ian Skerrett
Registered: July 2009
Here are the minutes I took from the conference call this morning. For |
those that attended, please feel free to add or clarify.
Packaging Proposal Conference Call Meeting
January 4, 8amPT/11amET/5pmCET
Jochen Krause (Innoopract)
Markus Knauer (Innoopract)
Elias Volanakis (Innoopract)
John Cooney (Fidelity)
Heinrik Lindberg (Buckminster Project)
Mitch Sonies (Cloudsmith)
Doug Gaff (Wind River)
Pascal Rapicault (IBM)
Dan Rubel (Instantiations)
Wayne Beaton (Eclipse Foundation)
Ian Skerrett (Eclipse Foundation)
(Apologies to anyone I missed that had joined the call. Please feel free to
1. Proposal Presentation
- Jochen Krause introduced the Packaging Project proposal. The high level
goal for the project is to improve the end user first impressions of
downloading Eclipse. The proposal is to create a small set of download
packages (5-7) that are based on a set of use cases. The project would
provide a set of tools that would create the packages from update sites.
- The created packages would then be used as the main downloads that are
presented on eclipse.org. They would replaced the SDK being the main
- Installation is another area that the project may pursue but Innoopract
has limited experience in this area.
- Jochen expressed his opinion that he felt provisioning was not within the
scope of the project. It was best dealt with the update manager.
2. Community Feedback to Initial Proposal
- Heinrik from the Buckmister project expressed their willingness to
contribute and participate in the project. Buckminster has packaging
technology that may be of use for the project.
- Pascal also suggest that the PDE Packager might be of use/interest for the
3. Installation Requirements
- We had a detailed discussion about the installation and provisioning
- Dan Rubel from Instantiations discussed Instantiations installation
technology that focuses on ease of use for new users that install Eclipse.
Instantiations may be willing to contribute this technology.
- A number of provisioning requirements were discussed. Pascal has started
collecting requirements for the update manage on the platform wiki.
- It seemed like the best time to discuss provisioning as going to be at and
after EclipseCon. This is when the Update Manager team was going to be able
to focus on it.
4. Next Steps and Action Items
- Jochen and Dan Rubel will initiate a discussion in the newsgroup about the
Installation requirements and a better understand on the Instantiations
technology. The group has agreed to flush out the detail of installation on
- Another conference call will be scheduled for January 18 at
- The goal is to have a creation review near the end of January.
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.01713 seconds