Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » Extending profiler
Extending profiler [message #56286] Sun, 05 March 2006 13:13 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: michael.zend.com

Hi All,

Is it possible to extend TPTP's profiler for different language (say
Perl)? If so, what whould you recommend me for reading
(I didn't find any helpful document describing how to extend TPTP's
profiler), or just give me some kind of glue what parts should be
extended, and what should stay as is.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Extending profiler [message #56342 is a reply to message #56286] Mon, 06 March 2006 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Slauenwhite is currently offline Paul SlauenwhiteFriend
Messages: 970
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Michael,
Although there is no specific information on extending the Java
Profiler, you can write an agent that generates the same trace XML fragments
to populate the TPTP Trace model. The XML fragments need to follow the TPTP
Event Specification for Java profiling (see
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/platform/documents/resources/pro filingspec/XML4Profiling.htm
and
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/platform/documents/resources/pro filingspec/trace.dtd.html).
Your agent would write the fragments to a Logging Agent that the workbench
would monitor to populate the TPTP Trace model. See the
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/documents/eclipseWorld2005/ EclipseWorld_2005_Tutorial_2_Eugene_Chan_Paul_Slauenwhite.pd f
presentation and its source code
( http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/documents/eclipseWorld2005/ EclipseWorld_20
05_Tutorial_2_Source_Code_Eugene_Chan_Paul_Slauenwhite.zip) for an example
agent.

Paul
"Michael Spector" <michael@zend.com> wrote in message
news:dueo52$aqd$1@eclipse.org...
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to extend TPTP's profiler for different language (say
> Perl)? If so, what whould you recommend me for reading
> (I didn't find any helpful document describing how to extend TPTP's
> profiler), or just give me some kind of glue what parts should be
> extended, and what should stay as is.
>
> Thanks a lot.
Re: Extending profiler [message #56461 is a reply to message #56342] Tue, 07 March 2006 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: michael.zend.com

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your answer!

As I understood the structure of the language must match Java's structures (threads, exceptions, classes, etc...),
otherwise it's impossible to create such an Agent?


Paul Slauenwhite wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> Although there is no specific information on extending the Java
> Profiler, you can write an agent that generates the same trace XML fragments
> to populate the TPTP Trace model. The XML fragments need to follow the TPTP
> Event Specification for Java profiling (see
> http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/platform/documents/resources/pro filingspec/XML4Profiling.htm
> and
> http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/platform/documents/resources/pro filingspec/trace.dtd.html).
> Your agent would write the fragments to a Logging Agent that the workbench
> would monitor to populate the TPTP Trace model. See the
> http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/documents/eclipseWorld2005/ EclipseWorld_2005_Tutorial_2_Eugene_Chan_Paul_Slauenwhite.pd f
> presentation and its source code
> ( http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/documents/eclipseWorld2005/ EclipseWorld_20
> 05_Tutorial_2_Source_Code_Eugene_Chan_Paul_Slauenwhite.zip) for an example
> agent.
>
> Paul
> "Michael Spector" <michael@zend.com> wrote in message
> news:dueo52$aqd$1@eclipse.org...
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>Is it possible to extend TPTP's profiler for different language (say
>>Perl)? If so, what whould you recommend me for reading
>>(I didn't find any helpful document describing how to extend TPTP's
>>profiler), or just give me some kind of glue what parts should be
>>extended, and what should stay as is.
>>
>>Thanks a lot.
>
>
>
Re: Extending profiler [message #56488 is a reply to message #56461] Tue, 07 March 2006 14:39 Go to previous message
Paul Slauenwhite is currently offline Paul SlauenwhiteFriend
Messages: 970
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Michael,
The TPTP data model has been expanded in TPTP V4.1.0 to support
application performance data from non-Java complied applications, such as
C/C++. For more information, see:

Help >> Help Contents >> Monitoring and analyzing performance >> Monitoring
and analyzing application performance >> Profiling an application >>
Profiling views >> Understanding the application context system in profiling
views


Paul
"Michael Spector" <michael@zend.com> wrote in message
news:dujjea$mgr$1@eclipse.org...
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thank you for your answer!
>
> As I understood the structure of the language must match Java's structures
(threads, exceptions, classes, etc...),
> otherwise it's impossible to create such an Agent?
>
>
> Paul Slauenwhite wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> > Although there is no specific information on extending the Java
> > Profiler, you can write an agent that generates the same trace XML
fragments
> > to populate the TPTP Trace model. The XML fragments need to follow the
TPTP
> > Event Specification for Java profiling (see
> >
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/platform/documents/resources/pro filingspec/XML4Profiling.htm
> > and
> >
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/platform/documents/resources/pro filingspec/trace.dtd.html).
> > Your agent would write the fragments to a Logging Agent that the
workbench
> > would monitor to populate the TPTP Trace model. See the
> >
http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/documents/eclipseWorld2005/ EclipseWorld_2005_Tutorial_2_Eugene_Chan_Paul_Slauenwhite.pd f
> > presentation and its source code
> >
( http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/documents/eclipseWorld2005/ EclipseWorld_20
> > 05_Tutorial_2_Source_Code_Eugene_Chan_Paul_Slauenwhite.zip) for an
example
> > agent.
> >
> > Paul
> > "Michael Spector" <michael@zend.com> wrote in message
> > news:dueo52$aqd$1@eclipse.org...
> >
> >>Hi All,
> >>
> >>Is it possible to extend TPTP's profiler for different language (say
> >>Perl)? If so, what whould you recommend me for reading
> >>(I didn't find any helpful document describing how to extend TPTP's
> >>profiler), or just give me some kind of glue what parts should be
> >>extended, and what should stay as is.
> >>
> >>Thanks a lot.
> >
> >
> >
Previous Topic:HTTP Recording/ Doku
Next Topic:Fail to execute "An Introduction to Using TPTP's Automated GUI Recorder"
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Nov 23 10:11:02 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01926 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software