Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » "Collecting Resources" on Team Update takes forever
"Collecting Resources" on Team Update takes forever [message #555599] Fri, 27 August 2010 09:45 Go to next message
Arno Sch is currently offline Arno Sch
Hi,

I am currently working on a project that contains about 12000 files (located on a samba file system). Whenever I do a Team -> Update, the process starts with "Collecting Resources" (the "Progress Information" window pops up, it says "Operation in progress... Collecting Resources", with changing file or directory names).

If I don't cancel it with the cancel button, this resource collection takes about an hour, EVERY TIME.

Once the resource collection finishes or I cancel it, the svn update runs, which takes about three minutes or so, depending on the number of updates.

What is going on? What does "collecting resources" do? Why on earth does it take so long? Why does it run every time? Why does it run at all, given that I can cancel it without any apparent negative consequences? Can I disable it altogether?

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP3.

My Eclipse version is Galileo, Build id: 20100218-1602, PDT (PHP Development Tools) package.

The installed Subversive packages are:

Subversive SVN Connectors 2.2.1.I20091009-1900 org.polarion.eclipse.team.svn.connector.feature.group
Subversive SVN Team Provider (Incubation) 0.7.8.I20091023-1300 org.eclipse.team.svn.feature.group
SVNKit 1.3.0 Implementation (Optional) 2.2.1.I20091009-1900 org.polarion.eclipse.team.svn.connector.svnkit16.feature.gro up

Thanks for any insight,

Regards,

Arno

[Updated on: Fri, 27 August 2010 09:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "Collecting Resources" on Team Update takes forever [message #556044 is a reply to message #555599] Mon, 30 August 2010 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Gurov is currently offline Alexander Gurov
Hi!

Actually, before update, Subversive performs safety checks for "missing" resources (resources that were deleted directly from the file system), because if user wants these resources to be actually deleted and not restored in time of update, some additional work should be performed. But this check is rather fast. So, to tell you the truth, that looks like some unusual problem.
As I see from the description, you have your project files located somewhere in the network. If it is the case, in-memory caching of SVN information is highly recommended. So, please check if you have SVN files status cache enabled or not:
Window->Preferences->Team->SVN->Performance
Re: "Collecting Resources" on Team Update takes forever [message #559083 is a reply to message #556044] Wed, 15 September 2010 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arno Sch is currently offline Arno Sch
Thanks for the info. Yes, I had the svn status cache on. In the end, it must have had something to do with the fact that the data was on an encrypted USB flash drive that was mounted via samba from a local VMWare VM. It appears that was one indirection too many Wink

Although the drive did not appear particularly slow when directly accessing it, the resource collection slowed to a crawl. Since I moved the encrypted volume from the flash drive to my hard disk and now am accessing it directly instead of through samba, the resource collection is so fast that it is no longer noticeable.

Regards,

Arno
Re: "Collecting Resources" on Team Update takes forever [message #559087 is a reply to message #555599] Wed, 15 September 2010 15:00 Go to previous message
Tom Chiverton is currently offline Tom Chiverton
Yeah, Eclipse in general struggles doing anything over a network share. Avoid Smile
Previous Topic:How to associate a new project with Subversive?
Next Topic:WTH is the Subversive Plugin for Ganymede
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 02 00:21:25 GMT 2014