| Studying past Eclipse platform restructuring (from 2.1 to v. 3.0) [message #553657]
||Wed, 18 August 2010 11:50
| Nicolas Anquetil
Registered: May 2010
[ not sure this is the proper forum for these questions, but this is the best I could find ]
I want to study the restructuring that took place in eclipse packages when introducing the RCP (between v. 2.1 and v. 3.0 as far as I can tell).
For this I want to analyze the code of what was restructured, before and after the restructuring.
And I would need your help to better understand what code I need t study:
First, I need a _before_ restructuring version (or date) and an _after_ restructuring version (or date).
From what I could gather, it seems it started around April 2003 (version 2.1) and ended with version 3.0 (July 2004). But it could have ended sooner than that...
** Anybody can confirm/infirm theses dates? **
Next, I need to understand the core packages that are involved.
From what I could gather, it would be:
- Runtime [with OSGi in 3.0, without it in 2.1]
- UI / workbench [Apparently most of the restructuring happened here]
- Resources [was made optional for core RCP as part of the restructuring]
Help (e.g. org.eclipse.help.*), Update (org.eclipse.update.*), Text (e.g. org.eclipse.text) and other could also be concerned, but I have to draw a limit and I am trying to restricted to what was considered "core RCP" (from a presentation at EclipseConf 2004).
** Anybody can confirm/infirm these packages for after the restructuring? **
Or should I really include some more?
** And what are the packages for before the restructuring? **
The same? Some more? Some less?
Again people, the idea is I what to study the changes in structure resulting from the creation of Eclipse as a Rich Client Platform.
Incidentally, if someone could suggest other projects that where restructured in the past, I would be very grateful.
The ideal project would:
- has been restructured !!!
- the restructuring was "well delimited in time" so that I can identify a before version/date and an after version/date.
And also so that the effects of restructuring don't get too much mixed up with other evolutions (bug correction, feature addition, ...)
- source code before and after restructuring is available
- ideally it would be in Java. I am working with CDT to be able to analyze C/C++ code, but I am not there yet.
Well that's it people
thank you in advance
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.01543 seconds