Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » Building standalone RCP designer from sources
Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #552796] Fri, 13 August 2010 10:36 Go to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank Grimes
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi All,

I was wondering which CVS project and build script is used to create the standalone birt-rcp-report-designer-2_6_0.zip distribution.

Thanks,

Frank Grimes
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #553726 is a reply to message #552796] Wed, 18 August 2010 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank Grimes
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Should I be asking this sort of question on the dev. mailing list instead?
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #553748 is a reply to message #553726] Wed, 18 August 2010 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Frank,

Have you looked at the buildAll.xml ant build for creating all the
projects in the org.eclipse.birt.releng.birtbuilder project?

Jason


On 8/18/2010 11:40 AM, Frank Grimes wrote:
> Should I be asking this sort of question on the dev. mailing list instead?
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #553778 is a reply to message #553748] Wed, 18 August 2010 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank Grimes
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I'm working off the BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315 tag and don't see any build files in the org.eclipse.birt.releng.birtbuilder project.
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #553788 is a reply to message #553778] Wed, 18 August 2010 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Frank,

Can you open a bug for this? Also add that the wiki page needs to be
updated for the build process.

Thanks

Jason

On 8/18/2010 4:11 PM, Frank Grimes wrote:
> I'm working off the BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315 tag and don't see
> any build files in the org.eclipse.birt.releng.birtbuilder project.
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #553942 is a reply to message #553788] Thu, 19 August 2010 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank Grimes
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
The following bug report has been created:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=323142
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #553981 is a reply to message #553942] Thu, 19 August 2010 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Frank,

Thanks for logging this.

Jason

On 8/19/2010 9:42 AM, Frank Grimes wrote:
> The following bug report has been created:
>
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=323142
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554199 is a reply to message #553981] Fri, 20 August 2010 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank Grimes
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
It seems that the BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315 tag has been re-created for org.eclipse.birt.releng.birtbuilder and I now see the build files you mentioned.

I tried running the build but they try to check out sources from CVS. (it failed because I don't have the cvs.exe in my path)
However, I already have the projects checked out in my workspace.

How do I build a release from my workspace?
Is this possible?
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554236 is a reply to message #554199] Fri, 20 August 2010 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Frank,

I will give this a try and get back to you.

Jason

On 8/20/2010 9:48 AM, Frank Grimes wrote:
> It seems that the BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315 tag has been
> re-created for org.eclipse.birt.releng.birtbuilder and I now see the
> build files you mentioned.
>
> I tried running the build but they try to check out sources from CVS.
> (it failed because I don't have the cvs.exe in my path)
> However, I already have the projects checked out in my workspace.
>
> How do I build a release from my workspace?
> Is this possible?
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554672 is a reply to message #554199] Mon, 23 August 2010 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xiaoying Gu is currently offline Xiaoying Gu
Messages: 51
Registered: July 2009
Member
Jason,

To build BIRT RCP designer from source, you should use the RCP export tool provided by Eclipse.

Detailed steps:
1. Prepare all source plugins in your workspace, including org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp
2. Open BIRT.product file which is under org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp with Product Configuration Editor
3. In the "Overview" tab -> Exporting section, open the "Eclipse Product export wizard".
4. In the Export dialog, Set the exported Directory. Then click "Finish". The exporting of RCP should be started automatically and you will get the RCP under the directory when it finishes.

I will add the RCP exporting steps to the wiki page.
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554676 is a reply to message #554672] Tue, 24 August 2010 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Xiaoying,

Thanks for posting this.

Jason


On 8/23/2010 11:17 PM, Xiaoying Gu wrote:
> Jason,
>
> To build BIRT RCP designer from source, you should use the RCP export
> tool provided by Eclipse.
>
> Detailed steps:
> 1. Prepare all source plugins in your workspace, including
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp
> 2. Open BIRT.product file which is under
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp with Product Configuration Editor
> 3. In the "Overview" tab -> Exporting section, open the "Eclipse Product
> export wizard".
> 4. In the Export dialog, Set the exported Directory. Then click
> "Finish". The exporting of RCP should be started automatically and you
> will get the RCP under the directory when it finishes.
>
> I will add the RCP exporting steps to the wiki page.
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554832 is a reply to message #554672] Tue, 24 August 2010 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank Grimes
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
FYI, checking out org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp from the BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315 CVS tag gives an empty directory.

I guess I will look at trying to build from CVS HEAD for now, at least until the release tagging issues are resolved.
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554851 is a reply to message #554832] Tue, 24 August 2010 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank Grimes
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
CVS HEAD has compilation errors in a few projects, so it looks like l'm stuck again.

I see that https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=323142 has been closed.

Do I need to open a new bug report for the missing files in
org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp?

[Updated on: Tue, 24 August 2010 10:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554868 is a reply to message #554851] Tue, 24 August 2010 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Frank,

What issue did you have using the approach written in the wiki using the
2.6 release tag?

Jason

On 8/24/2010 10:35 AM, Frank Grimes wrote:
> CVS HEAD has compilation errors in a few projects, so it looks l'm stuck
> again.
>
> I see that https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=323142 has been
> closed.
>
> Do I need to open a new bug report for the missing files in
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp?
>
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554877 is a reply to message #554868] Tue, 24 August 2010 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank Grimes
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
1. Install BIRT prerequisite in Eclipse home. (You can use the allinone download to get all prerequisites.)

I downlaoded and installed the allinone download

2. Download or import BIRT source code in workspace, including org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp

I checked out org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp from the BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315 CVS tag.

3. Open BIRT.product file which is under org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp with Product Configuration Editor

There is no such file in the project.
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554888 is a reply to message #554877] Tue, 24 August 2010 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Understood. Can you add a comment to the bug that states this? As a
work around can you try going into cvs explorer and locate the rcp
project and then do a "check out as" option, which will give you a
chance to refresh the tags. When it lists the tags use v20100624.

Jason

On 8/24/2010 11:24 AM, Frank Grimes wrote:
> 1. Install BIRT prerequisite in Eclipse home. (You can use the allinone
> download to get all prerequisites.)
> I downlaoded and installed the allinone download
>
> 2. Download or import BIRT source code in workspace, including
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp
> I checked out org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp from the
> BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315 CVS tag.
>
> 3. Open BIRT.product file which is under
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp with Product Configuration Editor
> There is no such file in the project.
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554919 is a reply to message #554888] Tue, 24 August 2010 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank Grimes
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I switched to using the v20100624 tag of org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp (used BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315 tag of other projects)

I was then able to build a running Birt RCP platform using the new instructions on the WIKI.

While it seems to build ok, I do get the following errors when doing the RCP export:

C:\eclipse-reporting-helios\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org .eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\pac kage.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:9 3: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\eclipse-reporting-helios\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org .eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\pac kage.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:9 49: Unable to delete file C:\eclipse-reporting-helios\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org .eclipse.pde.core\temp\assemblyLocation\tmp\eclipse\plugins\ javax.xml.rpc_1.1.0.v201005080400\META-INF\ECLIPSEF.RSA
The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\eclipse-reporting-helios\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org .eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\pac kage.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:9 49: Unable to delete file C:\eclipse-reporting-helios\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org .eclipse.pde.core\temp\assemblyLocation\tmp\eclipse\plugins\ javax.xml.rpc_1.1.0.v201005080400\META-INF\ECLIPSEF.RSA

Are these expected?
Can they safely be ignored?
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554947 is a reply to message #554919] Tue, 24 August 2010 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

I do not believe those errors affect the build, but you could try
restarting eclipse with the -clean option and try again.

On 8/24/2010 1:44 PM, Frank Grimes wrote:
> I switched to using the v20100624 tag of
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp (used
> BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315 tag of other projects)
>
> I was then able to build a running Birt RCP platform using the new
> instructions on the WIKI.
>
> While it seems to build ok, I do get the following errors when doing the
> RCP export:
>
> C:\eclipse-reporting-helios\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org
> .eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\pac
> kage.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:9 3: The
> following error occurred while executing this line:
> C:\eclipse-reporting-helios\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org
> .eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\pac
> kage.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:9 49: Unable
> to delete file
> C:\eclipse-reporting-helios\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org
> .eclipse.pde.core\temp\assemblyLocation\tmp\eclipse\plugins\
> javax.xml.rpc_1.1.0.v201005080400\META-INF\ECLIPSEF.RSA
> The following error occurred while executing this line:
> C:\eclipse-reporting-helios\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org
> .eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\pac
> kage.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.win32.win32.x86.xml:9 49: Unable
> to delete file
> C:\eclipse-reporting-helios\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org
> .eclipse.pde.core\temp\assemblyLocation\tmp\eclipse\plugins\
> javax.xml.rpc_1.1.0.v201005080400\META-INF\ECLIPSEF.RSA
>
> Are these expected?
> Can they safely be ignored?
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554984 is a reply to message #554877] Wed, 25 August 2010 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xiaoying Gu is currently offline Xiaoying Gu
Messages: 51
Registered: July 2009
Member
Frank,

> 3. Open BIRT.product file which is under
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp with Product Configuration Editor
> There is no such file in the project.

I can not reproduce this issue in my workspace.
BIRT.product file revision 1.52 was re-tagged with CVS tag BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315. Would it be possible that you get the code when we were re-tagging the rcp plugin?
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #554986 is a reply to message #554919] Wed, 25 August 2010 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xiaoying Gu is currently offline Xiaoying Gu
Messages: 51
Registered: July 2009
Member
If you were using Eclipse 3.6 for exporting rcp, please deactivate the option "Generate metadata repository" in the Export dialog.

This is not a necessary option when exporting a RCP product.
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #555118 is a reply to message #554986] Wed, 25 August 2010 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Grimes is currently offline Frank Grimes
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi All,

After getting the re-tagged BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315 version of org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp, the problem seems to have gone away.

Thanks everyone!

Frank Grimes
Re: Building standalone RCP designer from sources [message #555158 is a reply to message #555118] Wed, 25 August 2010 12:00 Go to previous message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason Weathersby
Messages: 9167
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

I am glad it is working Frank.

Jason

On 8/25/2010 9:49 AM, Frank Grimes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After getting the re-tagged BIRT_2_6_0_Release_201006171315 version of
> org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.rcp, the problem seems to have gone
> away.
>
> Thanks everyone!
>
> Frank Grimes
Previous Topic:Version setting in rptdesign
Next Topic:I can't get the viewer to show the report
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Aug 22 14:00:01 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02288 seconds