Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Target file ignored if timestamp changes(Changing a file time stamp causes Eclipse to ignore the contents.)
Target file ignored if timestamp changes [message #551475] Fri, 06 August 2010 14:52 Go to next message
Andrew Pitonyak is currently offline Andrew PitonyakFriend
I am running 64-bit Windows 7.
I installed 32-bit Eclipse Helios version 3.6.
I have the latest 32-bit JDK.
I installed subclipse version 1.6.x

1. I have a project containing a Target Definition file (Eclipse XML File).
2. I used the subversion perspective to checkout the project.
3. If I double click on the file, it opens the Target Definition dialog and shows my targets.
4. I changed the date/time of the file (say using touch), without changing the contet (verified with a binary diff).

If I start Eclipse and double click on the file with the changed date/time, no locations are shown.
If I use touch to set the date/time back, the contents are recognized.

I can change the file in an external editor, and the changes are shown in Eclipse, but, only if I use touch to set the date/time to the expected value (I use "touch filename -r file_with_correct_stamp")

I find this annoying at best. First noticed it when there was a problem that was fixed by changing this file. The problem related to only a few developers so we did not want to checkin the code for everyone. Instead, we passed the file around.

Re: Target file ignored if timestamp changes [message #551536 is a reply to message #551475] Fri, 06 August 2010 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 10:52 -0400, Andrew Pitonyak wrote:
> I am running 64-bit Windows 7.
> I installed 32-bit Eclipse Helios version 3.6.
> I have the latest 32-bit JDK.
> I installed subclipse version 1.6.x
>
> 1. I have a project containing a Target Definition file (Eclipse XML File).
> 2. I used the subversion perspective to checkout the project.
> 3. If I double click on the file, it opens the Target Definition dialog and shows my targets.
> 4. I changed the date/time of the file (say using touch), without changing the contet (verified with a binary diff).
>
> If I start Eclipse and double click on the file with the changed date/time, no locations are shown.
> If I use touch to set the date/time back, the contents are recognized.
>
> I can change the file in an external editor, and the changes are shown in Eclipse, but, only if I use touch to set the date/time to the expected value (I use "touch filename -r file_with_correct_stamp")
>
> I find this annoying at best. First noticed it when there was a problem that was fixed by changing this file. The problem related to only a few developers so we did not want to checkin the code for everyone. Instead, we passed the file around.
>
>
Have you tried refreshing the project after changing the date/time
externally? Select the project, right click, select Refresh.
Re: Target file ignored if timestamp changes [message #551555 is a reply to message #551475] Sat, 07 August 2010 01:28 Go to previous message
Andrew Pitonyak is currently offline Andrew PitonyakFriend
I must admit that it had not occurred to me that I needed to do that after touching the file. I will try that and see if it makes a difference.
Previous Topic:Project Open event not getting fired - wrong flag for IResourceDelta.getFlags()
Next Topic:How to bind Nebula controls using the eclipse.core.databinding api
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 08:45:43 GMT 2024