Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » M2T (model-to-text transformation) » [Acceleo 3] Out of memory
[Acceleo 3] Out of memory [message #548570] Thu, 22 July 2010 07:19 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: kali.tystrit.gmail.com

Hey,

when a previously generated file contains a "start of user code" tag but
miss the associated "end of user code", relaunching another generation
leads to an out of memory error.

Despite a generation error is an expected behavior in this case a more
specific error would be better, as the memory consumption of the Eclipse
IDE itself doesn't go back down to its previous level.

Cheers,
Kali
Re: [Acceleo 3] Out of memory [message #548599 is a reply to message #548570] Thu, 22 July 2010 08:39 Go to previous message
Stephane Begaudeau is currently offline Stephane Begaudeau

Hi,

Thanks for your input, we will look into it, but next time you should use the bugzilla to report the problem, it's easier for everyone to track the problem: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/
(Acceleo is in the M2T section)

Anyway, I tried to reproduce the problem several times and I didn't succeed. From what I've seen in the code of our engine, when we are generating something in an existing file, we read the file line by line to find a "start of user code" and then we start to record the "protected area" until we find the end of user code or the end of the file. So without any "end of user code", we will consider that the end of the protected area is the end of the file. I don't even think that we consider the absence of an "end of user code" as an error, in this case considering the rest of the file as protected is what we expect. And from my tests it's working, if I delete the "end of user code", everything after the "start of user code" is protected.

So could you please tell me if you succeed in reproducing the bug everytime (even with a simple model / template because everything went fine for me).
Are you on windows ? With the last update of java 6 (java 6 update 21)? If yes, this could explain your problem : http://aniefer.blogspot.com/2010/07/permgen-problems-and-run ning-eclipse-on.html

To finish, what is your memory configuration for Eclipse ? (eclipse.ini file in your Eclipse folder) the -xms and -xmx configuration precisely ?. If you have something like -Xms40m -Xmx256m which is the basic configuration for Eclipse IIRC, it's too low for some modelling tools (the modelling bundle that you can download on the Eclipse download page for example has a configuration with more memory). You should try to allow Eclipse to use more memory, for example I'm using something like -Xms256m -Xmx768m.

Stephane Begaudeau, Obeo

Previous Topic:[Acceleo] Modules recompilation
Next Topic:Problem running WorkflowRunner from java.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 26 03:17:11 EDT 2014