Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Integrating C++ GUI toolkit into RCP application?
Integrating C++ GUI toolkit into RCP application? [message #547515] Sun, 18 July 2010 00:24 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: jarrick.large.com

We are developing a GUI toolkit in C++ and I am wondering if it would be
possible to integrate this into an Eclipse RCP application embedded within
some kind of window or panel. I know Eclipse can embed OpenGL (at least to
some extent) so I am thinking it should be possible.

Is this possible? If yes, what would be required to get it to work? It
doesn't matter if it requires JNA, JNI or other non-portable code, just as
long as it is possible. Eclipse RCP is by far the best application platform
available and it would be a shame to have to use some other framework just
because what I am trying to do is not possible.

--
Regards,

Jarrick

------------------------------------
Jarrick.Chagma@your.mind.gmail.com
(Lose your mind before emailing me)
Re: Integrating C++ GUI toolkit into RCP application? [message #547525 is a reply to message #547515] Sun, 18 July 2010 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas Schindl
Messages: 5254
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

Normally all you need is the native handle (which is available through
platform specific SWT-API) to the parent object which you pass to your
C++ library.

The most typical problem is that GUI-Toolkits themselves maintain an
event loop and mixing 2 of them causes problems as you might imagine so
it highly depends how your toolkit is doing event processing.

Which platform do you want to use this?

Tom

Am 18.07.10 06:24, schrieb Jarrick Chagma:
> We are developing a GUI toolkit in C++ and I am wondering if it would be
> possible to integrate this into an Eclipse RCP application embedded
> within some kind of window or panel. I know Eclipse can embed OpenGL
> (at least to some extent) so I am thinking it should be possible.
>
> Is this possible? If yes, what would be required to get it to work? It
> doesn't matter if it requires JNA, JNI or other non-portable code, just
> as long as it is possible. Eclipse RCP is by far the best application
> platform available and it would be a shame to have to use some other
> framework just because what I am trying to do is not possible.
>
Re: Integrating C++ GUI toolkit into RCP application? [message #547529 is a reply to message #547525] Sun, 18 July 2010 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: jarrick.large.com

"Tom Schindl" <tom.schindl@bestsolution.at> wrote in message
news:i1ujg2$a77$1@build.eclipse.org...

[...]

> Normally all you need is the native handle (which is available through
> platform specific SWT-API) to the parent object which you pass to your
> C++ library.

OK, that sounds promising.

> The most typical problem is that GUI-Toolkits themselves maintain an
> event loop and mixing 2 of them causes problems as you might imagine so
> it highly depends how your toolkit is doing event processing.

Yes, I can see that this would be an issue. The GUI toolkit does have its
own event loop but as we are developing the toolkit and the RCP application
that will use it concurrently, we are in a position where such concerns can
be addressed. What would need to be done in relation to the event loop so
that it would live well with Eclipse? Are there any guidelines for such
development?

> Which platform do you want to use this?

Hopefully we can develop an Eclipse RCP application that integrates our C++
GUI toolkit and runs on all platforms (Windows, Linux and Mac).

--
Regards,

Jarrick

------------------------------------
Jarrick.Chagma@your.mind.gmail.com
(Lose your mind before emailing me)
Re: Integrating C++ GUI toolkit into RCP application? [message #547530 is a reply to message #547529] Sun, 18 July 2010 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas Schindl
Messages: 5254
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

Redirecting to SWT-Newsgroups because this is a swt-specific question.

Tom

Am 18.07.10 12:59, schrieb Jarrick Chagma:
> "Tom Schindl" <tom.schindl@bestsolution.at> wrote in message
> news:i1ujg2$a77$1@build.eclipse.org...
>
> [...]
>
>> Normally all you need is the native handle (which is available through
>> platform specific SWT-API) to the parent object which you pass to your
>> C++ library.
>
> OK, that sounds promising.
>
>> The most typical problem is that GUI-Toolkits themselves maintain an
>> event loop and mixing 2 of them causes problems as you might imagine so
>> it highly depends how your toolkit is doing event processing.
>
> Yes, I can see that this would be an issue. The GUI toolkit does have
> its own event loop but as we are developing the toolkit and the RCP
> application that will use it concurrently, we are in a position where
> such concerns can be addressed. What would need to be done in relation
> to the event loop so that it would live well with Eclipse? Are there
> any guidelines for such development?
>
>> Which platform do you want to use this?
>
> Hopefully we can develop an Eclipse RCP application that integrates our
> C++ GUI toolkit and runs on all platforms (Windows, Linux and Mac).
>
Re: Integrating C++ GUI toolkit into RCP application? [message #547531 is a reply to message #547529] Sun, 18 July 2010 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas Schindl
Messages: 5254
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Jarrick,

Just another idea. In 4.0 (or for RCP-Developers e4) you could write
your own PresentationEngine making up your complete RCP with your own
GUI-Toolkit so you won't be caught by any EventLoop Problems.

Tom

Am 18.07.10 12:59, schrieb Jarrick Chagma:
> "Tom Schindl" <tom.schindl@bestsolution.at> wrote in message
> news:i1ujg2$a77$1@build.eclipse.org...
>
> [...]
>
>> Normally all you need is the native handle (which is available through
>> platform specific SWT-API) to the parent object which you pass to your
>> C++ library.
>
> OK, that sounds promising.
>
>> The most typical problem is that GUI-Toolkits themselves maintain an
>> event loop and mixing 2 of them causes problems as you might imagine so
>> it highly depends how your toolkit is doing event processing.
>
> Yes, I can see that this would be an issue. The GUI toolkit does have
> its own event loop but as we are developing the toolkit and the RCP
> application that will use it concurrently, we are in a position where
> such concerns can be addressed. What would need to be done in relation
> to the event loop so that it would live well with Eclipse? Are there
> any guidelines for such development?
>
>> Which platform do you want to use this?
>
> Hopefully we can develop an Eclipse RCP application that integrates our
> C++ GUI toolkit and runs on all platforms (Windows, Linux and Mac).
>
Re: Integrating C++ GUI toolkit into RCP application? [message #547533 is a reply to message #547531] Sun, 18 July 2010 07:32 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: jarrick.large.com

"Tom Schindl" <tom.schindl@bestsolution.at> wrote in message
news:i1unul$sas$1@build.eclipse.org...

> Hi Jarrick,
>
> Just another idea. In 4.0 (or for RCP-Developers e4) you could write
> your own PresentationEngine making up your complete RCP with your own
> GUI-Toolkit so you won't be caught by any EventLoop Problems.

So that GUI toolkit can still be written in C++ and not Java? The GUI
toolkit will be used outside of Eclipse RCP in a non-Java context but we
need to be able to render with it and interact with it within an application
developed using the Eclipse RCP.

--
Regards,

Jarrick

------------------------------------
Jarrick.Chagma@your.mind.gmail.com
(Lose your mind before emailing me)
Previous Topic:Eclipse stuck even after restart
Next Topic:Class.forName = ClassNotFound (3.5 & 3.6)
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Jul 29 04:59:32 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02396 seconds