Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » How to use P2 to install simultaneously multiple versions of the same feature(P2 feature installation)
How to use P2 to install simultaneously multiple versions of the same feature [message #544394] Fri, 02 July 2010 14:41 Go to next message
Francois Misiak is currently offline Francois MisiakFriend
We develop a language oriented plug-in (CDE, Curl Development Environment).
We have a new requirement to manage from a central location a set of shared libraries that can easily be installed by any user on the web.
Each library is versioned and may operationally depend on other libraries.
It seems P2 might be a good framework to implement this (to take advantage of version tracking, dependencies, garbage collection, UI, transport, etc...)
I'm currently trying to map the features provided by P2 with these requirements.
It seems a library would best map with a "feature",
because:
- the feature id would map to the name of the library,
- the feature version would map to the version of the library,
- the feature dependencies would map to libraries this libraries depends upon
- through a custom touchpoint we could provision the library in the Curl sub-system

One thing I'm stuck on is the following problem: In Curl, it makes sense to have multiple projects in your workspace, each potentially using a different version of the same library.
Translated to P2, that would mean allowing to install simultaneously multiple versions of the same feature.
So far I've been unable to do that using the eclipse "Help/Install New Software..." UI, or using the p2.director application.
p2.director complains with the following error "Only one of the following can be installed at once:...".

I thought P2 was designed to support this kind of scenario, am I missing something?
Anybody could point me to some example and/or documentation?

Re: How to use P2 to install simultaneously multiple versions of the same feature [message #544486 is a reply to message #544394] Fri, 02 July 2010 20:17 Go to previous message
Francois Misiak is currently offline Francois MisiakFriend
Never mind, I found the answer.
The trick is to declare the installable unit corresponding to the feature jar file as a singleton in the content.xml file corresponding to the p2 repository.
Previous Topic:Question about Compile Time Weaving, OSGI, Java Web Start, and code duplication
Next Topic:Headless build fails after upgrading to Helios
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:38:38 GMT 2024