Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » AMP » Alternative Reporting Mechanism
Alternative Reporting Mechanism [message #542784] Sat, 26 June 2010 03:10 Go to next message
Tony Kennedy is currently offline Tony KennedyFriend
Some potential users involved in modeling / evaluation project have requested an alternative reporting mechanism where a word processing document is attached to the simulation and live data transferred either by trigger or timed mechanism to produce a dynamic text on the state of play, this has already been achieved in the Recito project, now dead I believe, but still available on Sourceforge <http://sourceforge.net/projects/recito/>, it links to OpenOffice out of the box, but I've produced a Word equivalent and I believe someone in the group has extended nqDoc to achieve the same end, which would give a completely integrated solution, not sure about the IPR involved but I would be happy to check if it is of any interest.
Re: Alternative Reporting Mechanism [message #542790 is a reply to message #542784] Sat, 26 June 2010 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
So the document itself is updated as the simulation is executed? Interesting.

One other thing to consider along this route. I don't know if you're aware of the Mylyn WikiText project but it can take WikiText and output PDF, Eclipse help, etc.. It can also go to Docbook from where you can do almost anything. All of the AMP documentation is now in WikiText, and the org.eclipse.amp.doc project has ant scripts for automatically building all of the docs. The point being that this tool chain works extremely well. I've actually written a template to produce the WikiText for doing self-documentation of the core function library.

On IP, the one biggest potential gotcha is that GPL and EPL have been found to be "fundamentally incompatible"..it looks like that knocks out Recito unless the original developers could be contacted and convinced to release under EPL or BSD as well..

Kennedy wrote on Fri, 25 June 2010 23:10
Some potential users involved in modeling / evaluation project have requested an alternative reporting mechanism where a word processing document is attached to the simulation and live data transferred either by trigger or timed mechanism to produce a dynamic text on the state of play, this has already been achieved in the Recito project, now dead I believe, but still available on Sourceforge <http://sourceforge.net/projects/recito/>, it links to OpenOffice out of the box, but I've produced a Word equivalent and I believe someone in the group has extended nqDoc to achieve the same end, which would give a completely integrated solution, not sure about the IPR involved but I would be happy to check if it is of any interest.

Re: Alternative Reporting Mechanism [message #542797 is a reply to message #542790] Sat, 26 June 2010 06:02 Go to previous message
Tony Kennedy is currently offline Tony KennedyFriend
Yes we use Mylyn WikiText as our internal documentation although with TaskTop and yes connection mechanisms to AMP have been discussed though I'm not privi to this just yet.This request came from post grads and the civil servants amongst us where formally presented documents are a must. They use the extension to regenerate the tables graphs etc. as changes to the model take place using a system similar to database triggers together dynamic text generated from Wikitext / Tasktop a great labour saver I'm told. As to Recito this was mention for illustration only, the IP may not be such a problem as we are internally heavy users of Potoelmy and Recito snuck in under the radar as its interface and now we are faced with maintaining it or rewritingj; . To this end procurement are attempting to contact the authors. As an extension it may be of some use to AMP users who are in a simlar position
Previous Topic:dependency on xpand 1.0.0
Next Topic:Problem with examples
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:37:19 GMT 2024