Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » translate document
translate document [message #541920] Wed, 23 June 2010 08:15 Go to next message
shuta is currently offline shutaFriend
Hi all,

I want to translate Virgo Documents(Virgo Web Server User Guide, ect) into Japanese.

If I translate the User Guide into Japanese, Can I ReWrite [virgo-user-guide.html] and Publish ?(licensing issues?)

Re: translate document [message #541921 is a reply to message #541920] Wed, 23 June 2010 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
I think the best approach would be to translate the docbook source from the documentation git repository so that you'll be able to generate html and pdf documents. The documentation is licensed under the Eclipse Public License so all you need to do, as far as I understand, is make your source available (since that will be derived from the English version) and publish the Japanese version also under the Eclipse Public License.

You may also consider contributing the Japanese version to the Virgo project, but in that case we'd want you to agree to be involved longer term (probably as a committer) as we don't have any Japanese speakers in the current team and we'd want the Japanese docs to be revised from time to time.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 June 2010 08:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: translate document [message #542519 is a reply to message #541921] Fri, 25 June 2010 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you Glyn.

I am interested in eclipse virgo.
so,I am happy if I can help this project.

But My English is not good enough...
(I did not think, It going to be official(?) document)
Re: translate document [message #543754 is a reply to message #542519] Wed, 30 June 2010 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't mean to put you off. You are more than welcome to produce an unofficial translation so long as you ensure that your translations are licensed under the Eclipse Public License.

You can host them anywhere you like and you needn't contribute them back or use docbook if you prefer editing the raw html.

I'm sure Japanese users will appreciate any translation you can provide.
Re: translate document [message #543899 is a reply to message #543754] Thu, 01 July 2010 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi Glyn.

thanks.
I could use DocBook(<copy/> tag "encoding = UTF-8" is necessary to include) .
so, I think I will translate documents that use docbook.

If some documents are complete, I will notify.

Re: translate document [message #543967 is a reply to message #543899] Thu, 01 July 2010 08:41 Go to previous message
Great! Shame I won't be able to read the result...
Re: translate document [message #585983 is a reply to message #542519] Wed, 30 June 2010 13:37 Go to previous message
I didn't mean to put you off. You are more than welcome to produce an unofficial translation so long as you ensure that your translations are licensed under the Eclipse Public License.

You can host them anywhere you like and you needn't contribute them back or use docbook if you prefer editing the raw html.

I'm sure Japanese users will appreciate any translation you can provide.
Re: translate document [message #585991 is a reply to message #585983] Thu, 01 July 2010 01:55 Go to previous message
hi Glyn.

thanks.
I could use DocBook(<copy/> tag "encoding = UTF-8" is necessary to include) .
so, I think I will translate documents that use docbook.

If some documents are complete, I will notify.
Re: translate document [message #586004 is a reply to message #585991] Thu, 01 July 2010 08:41 Go to previous message
Great! Shame I won't be able to read the result...
Previous Topic:Renamed download files
Next Topic:Suggestions For Swing Launcher?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:37:49 GMT 2024