Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » P2 dev » update one feature separately from RCP shell, how?(p2 in RCP: update one feature separately from RCP shell, how?)
update one feature separately from RCP shell, how? [message #537839] Thu, 03 June 2010 19:44
maarten meijer is currently offline maarten meijerFriend

I have a tool feature/plugin on eclipse marketplace that can be installed in an Eclipse Workbench (RCP + Platform). It has editors, builders, problem markers, quick fixes, etc. This can be updated from update site.

Since most of my users come from the lighting field and not from programming, even the base Eclipse workbench is a bit much.
So I created slimmed down version of workbench, without the debug and team stuff, just the Resource and my own perspective.

What I want is for my users to install this base shell from a ZIP archive for their platform, and from then on use p2 to update the tool feature from the update site.

I created a product feature hierarchy as follows:
    app feature
        slimmed platform
        <my tool feature pos A>
    <my tool feature pos B>

When I try to add the tool feature to the product file root (pos B) or as a dependent feature in the app feature (pos A), I cannot update, as the versions cannot coexist. Neither with update or install new feature.
    app feature
        slimmed platform

When I do the setup above, without the tool feature and then manually install from uopdate site everything works. And updates are identified correctly. So what I want is a partial update site.
my tool feature (added from update site)

Is there a way to use p2 ant tasks to install the tool feature in the RCP builds for different platforms? Then my build process will be
- export product for multiple platforms to create exe
- export tool feature into same repository
- call p2 ant tasks to force install into the different exe

Another option would be to be able to add fourth option to the export feature dialog: export into generated product repository (ie put UI on top) Should I open a bug for this?

Help will be greatly appreciated!

Maarten Meijer
eclipse trainer & consultant
contributor to Mylyn & ECF
Previous Topic:Feature patch installs and is then removed on restart
Next Topic:Virgo build p2 sanity check
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Nov 26 18:02:33 GMT 2015