Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » P2 dev » update one feature separately from RCP shell, how?(p2 in RCP: update one feature separately from RCP shell, how?)
update one feature separately from RCP shell, how? [message #537839] Thu, 03 June 2010 19:44
maarten meijer is currently offline maarten meijerFriend
Hi,

I have a tool feature/plugin on eclipse marketplace that can be installed in an Eclipse Workbench (RCP + Platform). It has editors, builders, problem markers, quick fixes, etc. This can be updated from update site.

ref http://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/eulumdat-tools-plugin

Since most of my users come from the lighting field and not from programming, even the base Eclipse workbench is a bit much.
So I created slimmed down version of workbench, without the debug and team stuff, just the Resource and my own perspective.

What I want is for my users to install this base shell from a ZIP archive for their platform, and from then on use p2 to update the tool feature from the update site.

ref http://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/eulumdat-tools-rcp

I created a product feature hierarchy as follows:
product
    app feature
        RCP
        GEF
        slimmed platform
        <my tool feature pos A>
    <my tool feature pos B>

When I try to add the tool feature to the product file root (pos B) or as a dependent feature in the app feature (pos A), I cannot update, as the versions cannot coexist. Neither with update or install new feature.
product
    app feature
        RCP
        GEF
        slimmed platform

When I do the setup above, without the tool feature and then manually install from uopdate site everything works. And updates are identified correctly. So what I want is a partial update site.
my tool feature (added from update site)

Is there a way to use p2 ant tasks to install the tool feature in the RCP builds for different platforms? Then my build process will be
- export product for multiple platforms to create exe
- export tool feature into same repository
- call p2 ant tasks to force install into the different exe

Another option would be to be able to add fourth option to the export feature dialog: export into generated product repository (ie put UI on top) Should I open a bug for this?

Help will be greatly appreciated!

Maarten Meijer
eclipse trainer & consultant
contributor to Mylyn & ECF
Previous Topic:Feature patch installs and is then removed on restart
Next Topic:Virgo build p2 sanity check
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:57:25 GMT 2024