Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » creating my own builder
creating my own builder [message #536115] Thu, 27 May 2010 06:55 Go to next message
Zohar Amir is currently offline Zohar AmirFriend
Messages: 419
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello all,
My application requires some kind of compilation before it can run (it
generates xml files based on the source code, and those xml files are
required for runtime). I thought that the best way to do this in eclipse is
to use a builder. First of all, I'd like to know whether this is really the
best option or not. Second, I'd like to know what I need to do to create my
own builder.
I'm using eclipse 3.5.2 .

Many thanks,
Zohar.
Re: creating my own builder [message #536167 is a reply to message #536115] Thu, 27 May 2010 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prakash G.R. is currently offline Prakash G.R.Friend
Messages: 621
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 27/05/10 12:25 PM, zohar wrote:
> Hello all,
> My application requires some kind of compilation before it can run (it
> generates xml files based on the source code, and those xml files are
> required for runtime). I thought that the best way to do this in eclipse
> is to use a builder. First of all, I'd like to know whether this is
> really the best option or not. Second, I'd like to know what I need to
> do to create my own builder.
> I'm using eclipse 3.5.2 .
>
> Many thanks,
> Zohar.

This might help:
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Builders/builders.ht ml

- Prakash
Platform UI Team, IBM

www.eclipse-tips.com
Re: creating my own builder [message #536417 is a reply to message #536167] Fri, 28 May 2010 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zohar Amir is currently offline Zohar AmirFriend
Messages: 419
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Thanks.
It seems that this document was last updated on November 23, 2004 - is it
still valid? hasn't anything changed during the last 9 years...?

My other question is how to write the builder? What libraries do I need to
use (e.g., where do I find IncrementalProjectBuilder)? How do I start a
project in eclipse to write a builder?

Zohar.



"Prakash G.R." <grprakash@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:htlg4h$52r$1@build.eclipse.org...
> On 27/05/10 12:25 PM, zohar wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> My application requires some kind of compilation before it can run (it
>> generates xml files based on the source code, and those xml files are
>> required for runtime). I thought that the best way to do this in eclipse
>> is to use a builder. First of all, I'd like to know whether this is
>> really the best option or not. Second, I'd like to know what I need to
>> do to create my own builder.
>> I'm using eclipse 3.5.2 .
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Zohar.
>
> This might help:
> http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Builders/builders.ht ml
>
> - Prakash
> Platform UI Team, IBM
>
> www.eclipse-tips.com
Re: creating my own builder [message #536478 is a reply to message #536417] Fri, 28 May 2010 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend
Messages: 6859
Registered: July 2009
Location: Ottawa
Senior Member

zohar wrote:
> Thanks.
> It seems that this document was last updated on November 23, 2004 - is
> it still valid? hasn't anything changed during the last 9 years...?

Yes, this document talks about API and while it has evolved, the API
from 2004 still works today.

>
> My other question is how to write the builder? What libraries do I need
> to use (e.g., where do I find IncrementalProjectBuilder)? How do I start
> a project in eclipse to write a builder?

Read the article Prakash mentioned
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Builders/builders.ht ml and track
down the latest version of the links in http://help.eclipse.org >
Platform Plug-in Developer Guide > Programmer's Guide > Advanced
resource concepts where it discusses project natures and incremental
builders.

PW


--
Paul Webster
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_Command_Framework
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Command_Core_Expressions
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menu_Contributions
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menus_Extension_Mapping
http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse .platform.doc.isv/guide/workbench.htm


Re: creating my own builder [message #536640 is a reply to message #536478] Sat, 29 May 2010 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zohar Amir is currently offline Zohar AmirFriend
Messages: 419
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Thank you Paul,
I've read both, and gained a lot of new information as to the architecture
of eclipse and the way a builder is expected to work, but I think that what
I need is a "builder for dummies" (although I realize that adding builders
to the eclipse workbench is not for dummies) - where it shows me how to
create and test a simple builder (for example, one that looks for all XML
files in the project and produces corresponding XML files where all element
names are reversed or something). I'm looking for a tutorial that will guide
me from creating a new project, to the point where the builder works and
does its magic.
coming to think of it - maybe what I'm looking for is a cheat sheet for a
simple builder...
Anything of the sort...?

Thanks,
Zohar.




"Paul Webster" <pwebster@ca.ibm.com> wrote in message
news:htodlr$32l$1@build.eclipse.org...
> zohar wrote:
>> Thanks.
>> It seems that this document was last updated on November 23, 2004 - is it
>> still valid? hasn't anything changed during the last 9 years...?
>
> Yes, this document talks about API and while it has evolved, the API from
> 2004 still works today.
>
>>
>> My other question is how to write the builder? What libraries do I need
>> to use (e.g., where do I find IncrementalProjectBuilder)? How do I start
>> a project in eclipse to write a builder?
>
> Read the article Prakash mentioned
> http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Builders/builders.ht ml and track
> down the latest version of the links in http://help.eclipse.org > Platform
> Plug-in Developer Guide > Programmer's Guide > Advanced resource concepts
> where it discusses project natures and incremental builders.
>
> PW
>
>
> --
> Paul Webster
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_Command_Framework
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Command_Core_Expressions
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menu_Contributions
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menus_Extension_Mapping
> http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse .platform.doc.isv/guide/workbench.htm
Re: creating my own builder [message #536912 is a reply to message #536640] Mon, 31 May 2010 13:11 Go to previous message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend
Messages: 6859
Registered: July 2009
Location: Ottawa
Senior Member

zohar wrote:
> Thank you Paul,
> I've read both, and gained a lot of new information as to the
> architecture of eclipse and the way a builder is expected to work, but I
> think that what I need is a "builder for dummies" (although I realize
> that adding builders to the eclipse workbench is not for dummies) -
> where it shows me how to create and test a simple builder (for example,
> one that looks for all XML files in the project and produces
> corresponding XML files where all element names are reversed or
> something). I'm looking for a tutorial that will guide me from creating
> a new project, to the point where the builder works and does its magic.
> coming to think of it - maybe what I'm looking for is a cheat sheet for
> a simple builder...
> Anything of the sort...?


There might be, but you'll have to google for that yourself (I wouldn't
hold my breath). You need to 1) use the 2 links I sent you as a
reference and 2) create a plugin, add the
org.eclipse.core.resources.builders extension point and use the template
(Project Nature and Builder) to generate an example.

That should be enough to get you started.

PW


--
Paul Webster
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_Command_Framework
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Command_Core_Expressions
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menu_Contributions
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menus_Extension_Mapping
http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse .platform.doc.isv/guide/workbench.htm


Previous Topic:[DataBinding] Default Date Converter
Next Topic:A cycle was detected when generating the classpath
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Dec 22 12:14:22 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.09208 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software