Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » AMP » Modeling: slime mold
Modeling: slime mold [message #529833] Tue, 27 April 2010 12:22 Go to next message
Jean-Paul de Vooght is currently offline Jean-Paul de VooghtFriend
Hello again!

As I am new to this forum, I hope it's ok if I post here modeling question. If not, let me know where is the right place for that.

I am trying to re-implement the NetLogo slime-mold model which uses a diffusion method on the "habitat". How would I go about implementing this?

TIA

JP
Re: Modeling: slime mold [message #529975 is a reply to message #529833] Tue, 27 April 2010 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend

Hi Jean-Paul,

See below..

Jean-Paul de_Vooght wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 08:22
Hello again!

As I am new to this forum, I hope it's ok if I post here modeling question. If not, let me know where is the right place for that.

This is exactly the place to be asking modeling quesitons..

Quote:
I am trying to re-implement the NetLogo slime-mold model which uses a diffusion method on the "habitat". How would I go about implementing this?
JP

Well...

You succeeded in getting me away from my documentation tasks to take a look at this. Smile Basically I think this is just the same a Heatbugs.. And, now unfortunately, you've hit on a couple of cases that AMF is not handling well now, that is statistical functions across agent selections and finding maximum and minimum values. The issue isn't as much as one of code generation but as a design representation issue -- one that I want to get right - and I was planning to wait until Acore to work on this, but I think it might be worth doing sooner rather than later.

You *can* handle this with Method Actions (native Escape/Java). Obviously that's not super satisfactory, but let me know if you'd like more details on that.

Miles
Re: Modeling: slime mold [message #530589 is a reply to message #529975] Fri, 30 April 2010 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Miles for your response. I am currently going through the really useful Agent Modeling Guide and will then look at different models to begin with. No rush though as it's important to get the foundation right and moving at its due pace.
I will look at some other model to get the principles down and keep you posted hopefully sometime soon.
Re: Modeling: slime mold [message #530850 is a reply to message #529833] Sat, 01 May 2010 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good. You can track progress on this at:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=311288

Of course, feel free to add in your own enhancement requests..
Re: Modeling: slime mold [message #536960 is a reply to message #529833] Mon, 31 May 2010 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I have the diffusion working in the latest build (nightly). I'm just getting the min and max search working. That should be enough to support both slime molds and (finally, since this was one of the original targets) Sugarscape and heatbugs.
Re: Modeling: slime mold [message #536998 is a reply to message #536960] Mon, 31 May 2010 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome!
I am still on my Prey-Predator model which I struggle with as I am trying to get the thought process in my head. Videos are very helpful luckily and I use also a lot the sample models from CSV.
Re: Modeling: slime mold [message #537005 is a reply to message #536998] Mon, 31 May 2010 20:37 Go to previous message
Jean-Paul de Vooght wrote on Mon, 31 May 2010 16:13
Awesome!
I am still on my Prey-Predator model which I struggle with as I am trying to get the thought process in my head. Videos are very helpful luckily and I use also a lot the sample models from CSV.

OK, great. Let me know if you get stuck on something. I'm hoping to have an example Heatbugs in the next day or two and then of course it will be quite easy for me to implement the basic Sugarscape.
Previous Topic:exception "Widget is disposed"
Next Topic:prey-predator
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:07:28 GMT 2024