Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » AspectJ » Where to file this stack trace?
Where to file this stack trace? [message #53080] Sun, 05 June 2005 21:18 Go to next message
Barry Kaplan is currently offline Barry KaplanFriend
I get this stack trace when peforming a References or Open CallHierachy in a aspectj project. Is this an ajdt bug or a jdt bug?

----
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.util.Util.getNameWithoutJavaLi keExtension(Util.java:840)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.search.matching.JavaSearchName Environment. <init>(JavaSearchNameEnvironment.java:62)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.search.matching.MatchLocator.i nitialize(MatchLocator.java:853)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.search.matching.SuperTypeNames Collector.collect(SuperTypeNamesCollector.java:154)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.search.matching.MethodLocator. initializePolymorphicSearch(MethodLocator.java:48)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.search.matching.MatchLocator.l ocateMatches(MatchLocator.java:1013)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.search.JavaSearchParticipant.l ocateMatches(JavaSearchParticipant.java:94)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.search.BasicSearchEngine.findM atches(BasicSearchEngine.java:208)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.search.BasicSearchEngine.searc h(BasicSearchEngine.java:421)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.search.SearchEngine.search(SearchEngine .java:532)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.search.JavaSearchQuery.run(JavaS earchQuery.java:135)
at org.eclipse.search2.internal.ui.InternalSearchUI$InternalSea rchJob.run(InternalSearchUI.java:93)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:67)
Re: Where to file this stack trace? [message #53161 is a reply to message #53080] Mon, 06 June 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: hawkinsh.uk.ibm.com

Hi Barry,

Before raising it, it would be worth doing a bit more investigation: Do
you see it all the time? How reproducible is it? Can you say what you're
trying to open the References or Call Heirarchy for? If you're only seeing
it on AspectJ projects then I would start by raising it against AJDT,
providing as much info as you can.

Thanks, Helen
Re: Where to file this stack trace? [message #53314 is a reply to message #53161] Mon, 06 June 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Helen Hawkins wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> Before raising it, it would be worth doing a bit more investigation: Do
> you see it all the time? How reproducible is it? Can you say what you're
> trying to open the References or Call Heirarchy for? If you're only
> seeing it on AspectJ projects then I would start by raising it against
> AJDT, providing as much info as you can.

I see it only in aspectj projects. It can occur for References, Call Hierarchy, and Searches. But its not consistent.

Also, this was before I found out that the aspectj nature clipped half my output paths, and I had crud in my classpath. Don't know if that was causing only the run problems, or if it had impact here as well.

The problem with some of these issues is that they are in the context of non-trivial projects. I kinda hope that just the stack trace will point out an obvious problem when looking at the source, because building test projects that reproduce the problem could be very difficult. If the problem is not obvious from the stack trace, then of course I will work to make it reproducable in a project I can attach to the bug.

-barry
Re: Where to file this stack trace? [message #53339 is a reply to message #53314] Mon, 06 June 2005 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

Hi Barry,

Unfortunately, it's not immediately obvious from the stack trace whether
it's the JDT or AJDT which is going wrong so could you please raise a bug
against AJDT and we'll look into it further on the bug report?

One question: When this happens on References, are you in a .aj file or a
java file? Are there references in .aj files? .java files?

Thanks, Helen
Re: Where to file this stack trace? [message #53365 is a reply to message #53339] Mon, 06 June 2005 16:55 Go to previous message
Helen Hawkins wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> Unfortunately, it's not immediately obvious from the stack trace whether
> it's the JDT or AJDT which is going wrong so could you please raise a
> bug against AJDT and we'll look into it further on the bug report?
>
> One question: When this happens on References, are you in a .aj file or
> a java file? Are there references in .aj files? .java files?
> Thanks, Helen
>

Thanks Helen. I created the bug (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=98547).

It does not matter what file has focus. But I don't recall if the .aj file contained any of the references to what I searching for. Sorry, I was in a hurry at the time and did not collect enough info. Feel free to sit on this one until I can come with more details.

-barry
Re: Where to file this stack trace? [message #588676 is a reply to message #53080] Mon, 06 June 2005 08:14 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend

Hi Barry,

Before raising it, it would be worth doing a bit more investigation: Do
you see it all the time? How reproducible is it? Can you say what you're
trying to open the References or Call Heirarchy for? If you're only seeing
it on AspectJ projects then I would start by raising it against AJDT,
providing as much info as you can.

Thanks, Helen
Re: Where to file this stack trace? [message #588721 is a reply to message #53161] Mon, 06 June 2005 15:07 Go to previous message
Helen Hawkins wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> Before raising it, it would be worth doing a bit more investigation: Do
> you see it all the time? How reproducible is it? Can you say what you're
> trying to open the References or Call Heirarchy for? If you're only
> seeing it on AspectJ projects then I would start by raising it against
> AJDT, providing as much info as you can.

I see it only in aspectj projects. It can occur for References, Call Hierarchy, and Searches. But its not consistent.

Also, this was before I found out that the aspectj nature clipped half my output paths, and I had crud in my classpath. Don't know if that was causing only the run problems, or if it had impact here as well.

The problem with some of these issues is that they are in the context of non-trivial projects. I kinda hope that just the stack trace will point out an obvious problem when looking at the source, because building test projects that reproduce the problem could be very difficult. If the problem is not obvious from the stack trace, then of course I will work to make it reproducable in a project I can attach to the bug.

-barry
Re: Where to file this stack trace? [message #588730 is a reply to message #53314] Mon, 06 June 2005 16:03 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend

Hi Barry,

Unfortunately, it's not immediately obvious from the stack trace whether
it's the JDT or AJDT which is going wrong so could you please raise a bug
against AJDT and we'll look into it further on the bug report?

One question: When this happens on References, are you in a .aj file or a
java file? Are there references in .aj files? .java files?

Thanks, Helen
Re: Where to file this stack trace? [message #588735 is a reply to message #53339] Mon, 06 June 2005 16:55 Go to previous message
Helen Hawkins wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> Unfortunately, it's not immediately obvious from the stack trace whether
> it's the JDT or AJDT which is going wrong so could you please raise a
> bug against AJDT and we'll look into it further on the bug report?
>
> One question: When this happens on References, are you in a .aj file or
> a java file? Are there references in .aj files? .java files?
> Thanks, Helen
>

Thanks Helen. I created the bug (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=98547).

It does not matter what file has focus. But I don't recall if the .aj file contained any of the references to what I searching for. Sorry, I was in a hurry at the time and did not collect enough info. Feel free to sit on this one until I can come with more details.

-barry
Previous Topic:How to view multiple markers?
Next Topic:AJDT 1.2 released for Eclipse 3.0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:15:00 GMT 2024