Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » tomcat debug problem - breakpoints do not break
tomcat debug problem - breakpoints do not break [message #525650] Wed, 07 April 2010 11:26 Go to next message
Matthes Rieke is currently offline Matthes Rieke
Hi all,

as I'm new to this forums let me first say hello to all!

I have faced a problem with the WTP and debugging my tomcat server. I have installed the latest version of WTP (3.1.1.v200907161031) and I am using the the latest JST server adapters (3.1.1.v20090813).

my machine is running ubuntu karmic with java-6-sun jdk. i have downloaded the 5.5.28 tomcat server and deployed my webapp to it.

now if I start the well configured tomcat 5.5 from within eclipse WTP in debug mode everything seems to be fine. the debug perspective opens and all threads of tomcat are listed as expected. i can manually pause/resume the threads.

the problem occurs when triggering a method where a breakpoint has been installed (does not matter if installed pre or post start). the method gets executed and works as expected but the installed breakpoint won't break!

the weird thing about this: if I start the tomcat manually in debug-mode (-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend= n) and connect to it with remote debugging via eclipse I _am_ able to debug normal with breaking breakpoints.

I found out that the tomcat instance started from WTP has different jdwp parameters (jdwp=transport=dt_socket,suspend=y,address=localhost:60936) . notice the suspend=n vs suspend=y.

anyone out there facing a similar problem?

many thanks in advance,
matthes
Re: tomcat debug problem - breakpoints do not break [message #525669 is a reply to message #525650] Wed, 07 April 2010 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mauro Molinari is currently offline Mauro Molinari
Il 07/04/2010 13.26, Matthes Rieke ha scritto:
> I found out that the tomcat instance started from WTP has different jdwp
> parameters (jdwp=transport=dt_socket,suspend=y,address=localhost:60936)
> . notice the suspend=n vs suspend=y.

Suspend is just used to pause the JVM until a debug agent connects to it.

> anyone out there facing a similar problem?

Which vendor/version of JRE are you using to run your Tomcat instance?
There is an issue with Sun JRE 1.6.0 update 14 and 15 and breakpoints
not hit.

Mauro.
icon14.gif  Re: tomcat debug problem - breakpoints do not break [message #525778 is a reply to message #525650] Wed, 07 April 2010 18:46 Go to previous message
Matthes Rieke is currently offline Matthes Rieke
ah ok then i missunderstood the suspend parameter.

thanks very much for your reply! i really used sun jdk update 15 (which is the default one in the ubuntu-karmic repository atm). I updated to 19 and now it works perfect!

thanks and regards,
Matthes
Previous Topic:WTP for Java SE web service clients?
Next Topic:view existing web server with eclipse/tomcat
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 23 21:16:17 GMT 2014