Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » Basic Installation Question(Which versions of Eclipse do I need?)
Basic Installation Question [message #520336] Fri, 12 March 2010 00:29 Go to next message
Reinhardt Christiansen is currently offline Reinhardt ChristiansenFriend
Messages: 25
Registered: March 2010
Junior Member
I have heard good things about the Web Tools Project and have been using Eclipse for some time so I'd like to give WTP a try.

Unfortunately, I'm confused by the download/installation of WTP. According to the download information, I have a choice between installing it on Eclipse 3.2 or OLDER versions of Eclipse. I'm assuming this documentation is WAY out of date; I am running Eclipse 3.5.2.

Can WTP be added to an existing installation of Eclipse 3.5.2? If yes, where do I go for the download and what is the latest stable version to install?

Also, if I went the source editing tools, do I need to install the "common" stuff, even if I don't expect to need it? Do I need to install the "common" stuff first or can I add the source editing tools first and then the "common" stuff?

Lastly, what is the correct install procedure? I never did understand the installation process for Eclipse components after it was changed a few years back.....
Re: Basic Installation Question [message #520363 is a reply to message #520336] Fri, 12 March 2010 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Williams is currently offline David WilliamsFriend
Messages: 176
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
rchost@ymail.com wrote:
> I have heard good things about the Web Tools Project and have been using
> Eclipse for some time so I'd like to give WTP a try.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm confused by the download/installation of WTP.
> According to the download information, I have a choice between
> installing it on Eclipse 3.2 or OLDER versions of Eclipse. I'm assuming
> this documentation is WAY out of date; I am running Eclipse 3.5.2.

Where to you see this old information? If on our site, maybe I can
correct it.

>
> Can WTP be added to an existing installation of Eclipse 3.5.2? If yes,
> where do I go for the download and what is the latest stable version to
> install?

The easiest way is to use the "install new software" under the Help
menu. Somewhere there you could be able to select a repository named
"Galileo Release" (having a URL that ends with /releases/galileo). This
repo it built in to the list of available sites. You may have to make
sure it is "enabled" in your preferences. After a little churning, it'll
give you a list of categories, Expend the "XML and Web" category.
Pick something "high level" like JEE Development, and anything that it
needs will also be installed (which would be about everything from WTP).
You can select other items if you want to make sure. This not only
installs WTP itself, but also anything from EMF, GEF, etc., that WTP
requires.

>
> Also, if I went the source editing tools, do I need to install the
> "common" stuff, even if I don't expect to need it? Do I need to install
> the "common" stuff first or can I add the source editing tools first and
> then the "common" stuff?
>

For most of it, yes. If you want sort of a minimal source editing
install, I'd suggest you pick the "XML Feature" and install just that.
It will install XML Editor, and any "common" stuff it needs.

> Lastly, what is the correct install procedure? I never did understand
> the installation process for Eclipse components after it was changed a
> few years back.....

Besides the repository approach above, there are some "unzip and go"
packages available at
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
You'd want the "IDE for Java EE" for WTP stuff.
Re: Basic Installation Question [message #520485 is a reply to message #520363] Fri, 12 March 2010 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reinhardt Christiansen is currently offline Reinhardt ChristiansenFriend
Messages: 25
Registered: March 2010
Junior Member
>> I have heard good things about the Web Tools Project and have been using
>> Eclipse for some time so I'd like to give WTP a try.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I'm confused by the download/installation of WTP.
>> According to the download information, I have a choice between
>> installing it on Eclipse 3.2 or OLDER versions of Eclipse. I'm assuming
>> this documentation is WAY out of date; I am running Eclipse 3.5.2.

>Where to you see this old information? If on our site, maybe I can
>correct it.

Here's how/where I found it:
1. I went to eclipse.org
2. I typed Web Tools in the search box and pressed Enter. This brought me to the Web Tools Platform page.
3. I clicked on the boxed plus sign beside Common Components.
4. I clicked on Downloads on the resulting page.

>>
>> Can WTP be added to an existing installation of Eclipse 3.5.2? If yes,
>> where do I go for the download and what is the latest stable version to
>> install?

>The easiest way is to use the "install new software" under the Help
>menu. Somewhere there you could be able to select a repository named
>"Galileo Release" (having a URL that ends with /releases/galileo). This
>repo it built in to the list of available sites. You may have to make
>sure it is "enabled" in your preferences. After a little churning, it'll
>give you a list of categories, Expend the "XML and Web" category.
>Pick something "high level" like JEE Development, and anything that it
>needs will also be installed (which would be about everything from WTP).
>You can select other items if you want to make sure. This not only
>installs WTP itself, but also anything from EMF, GEF, etc., that WTP
requires.

Done! I just grabbed the whole group that was labelled "Web, XML and Java EE Development". I don't need all of those pieces but I'm a little worried that if I omitted something like "Axis2 Tools", something critical I need for the Web Tools would be missing.

>>
>> Also, if I went the source editing tools, do I need to install the
>> "common" stuff, even if I don't expect to need it? Do I need to install
>> the "common" stuff first or can I add the source editing tools first and
>> then the "common" stuff?
>>

>For most of it, yes. If you want sort of a minimal source editing
>install, I'd suggest you pick the "XML Feature" and install just that.
>It will install XML Editor, and any "common" stuff it needs.

>> Lastly, what is the correct install procedure? I never did understand
>> the installation process for Eclipse components after it was changed a
>> few years back.....

>Besides the repository approach above, there are some "unzip and go"
>packages available at
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
>You'd want the "IDE for Java EE" for WTP stuff.

Actually, I _like_ the "install new software" option under the Help panel. I'm just a little fuzzy on how to use it. (I tried the unzip and go approach for installing AspectJ and it never worked. But when I tried it with the "install new software" facility, it worked very well, just as the install of Web Tools worked great with the instructions you just gave me.

Thanks for your help!

By the way, how did you manage to quote my original message and intersperse your replies? I don't see any button that does that so I copied and pasted your complete reply then manually added additional greater than signs to approximate what I wanted. There has to be an easier way but I'm just not sure what it is....

Re: Basic Installation Question [message #520521 is a reply to message #520485] Fri, 12 March 2010 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Williams is currently offline David WilliamsFriend
Messages: 176
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Rhino wrote:

>
>> Where to you see this old information? If on our site, maybe I can
>> correct it.
>
> Here's how/where I found it:
> 1. I went to eclipse.org
> 2. I typed Web Tools in the search box and pressed Enter. This brought
> me to the Web Tools Platform page.
> 3. I clicked on the boxed plus sign beside Common Components.
> 4. I clicked on Downloads on the resulting page.
>

Ok, thanks. I think we need to improve that page to direct people
elsewhere :)

>
> Done! I just grabbed the whole group that was labelled "Web, XML and
> Java EE Development". I don't need all of those pieces but I'm a little
> worried that if I omitted something like "Axis2 Tools", something
> critical I need for the Web Tools would be missing.

Yes, you could "miss" something like, picking "JEE" might not pick up
"Axis 2" (not sure, don't recall right off). Improving those categories
is also on my todo list ... for the past year! :(


>
> Actually, I _like_ the "install new software" option under the Help
> panel. I'm just a little fuzzy on how to use it. (I tried the unzip and
> go approach for installing AspectJ and it never worked. But when I tried
> it with the "install new software" facility, it worked very well, just
> as the install of Web Tools worked great with the instructions you just
> gave me.

Wow ... complements for the Platform's new P2 based installers! They'll
be happy to hear that! :)

> By the way, how did you manage to quote my original message and
> intersperse your replies? I don't see any button that does that so I
> copied and pasted your complete reply then manually added additional
> greater than signs to approximate what I wanted. There has to be an
> easier way but I'm just not sure what it is....

On my mail client (Thunderbird) I just hit "reply" and it puts whole
message in as quoted text (I think there's a preference to do that,
somewhere) and then I just edit that, removing some, adding new lines.

I hope WTP works as well for you as you've heard and deserves its good
reputation. Good luck!
Re: Basic Installation Question [message #520622 is a reply to message #520521] Sat, 13 March 2010 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reinhardt Christiansen is currently offline Reinhardt ChristiansenFriend
Messages: 25
Registered: March 2010
Junior Member
>Rhino wrote:

>>> Where to you see this old information? If on our site, maybe I can
>>> correct it.
>>
>> Here's how/where I found it:
>> 1. I went to eclipse.org
>> 2. I typed Web Tools in the search box and pressed Enter. This brought
>> me to the Web Tools Platform page.
>> 3. I clicked on the boxed plus sign beside Common Components.
>> 4. I clicked on Downloads on the resulting page.
>>

> Ok, thanks. I think we need to improve that page to direct people
elsewhere Smile

I think you're right Wink When people see a page that far out of date, they are going to think the information is way out of date or that the project got discontinued for some reason and never progressed beyond the stage shown on the installation page.
>
>> Done! I just grabbed the whole group that was labelled "Web, XML and
>> Java EE Development". I don't need all of those pieces but I'm a little
>> worried that if I omitted something like "Axis2 Tools", something
>> critical I need for the Web Tools would be missing.

>Yes, you could "miss" something like, picking "JEE" might not pick up
>"Axis 2" (not sure, don't recall right off). Improving those categories
>is also on my todo list ... for the past year! Sad

I find it a bit of a challenge to keep track of all the dependencies on my own code base, which is pretty small compared to Eclipse. It has to be a LOT harder for a huge system like Eclipse! I hope you've got tools to help you figure that out. If you've got to do it all by reading documentation in every file, you'll be at it forever.....

>
>> Actually, I _like_ the "install new software" option under the Help
>> panel. I'm just a little fuzzy on how to use it. (I tried the unzip and
>> go approach for installing AspectJ and it never worked. But when I tried
>> it with the "install new software" facility, it worked very well, just
>> as the install of Web Tools worked great with the instructions you just
>> gave me.

>Wow ... complements for the Platform's new P2 based installers! They'll
>be happy to hear that! Smile

Mind you, I haven't used the Web Tools (or AspectJ) more than a few minutes yet so maybe something critical will be missing once I get that far. But the basic experience was good: I just clicked on major elements that included what I wanted and the installer did the rest.

That's what I want. I should not have to be an expert in a package I've never seen before just to install it. That's just not reasonable in my opinion. How on earth should I know what other programs need to be installed before the one I want can be installed?

>> By the way, how did you manage to quote my original message and
>> intersperse your replies? I don't see any button that does that so I
>> copied and pasted your complete reply then manually added additional
>> greater than signs to approximate what I wanted. There has to be an
>> easier way but I'm just not sure what it is....

>On my mail client (Thunderbird) I just hit "reply" and it puts whole
>message in as quoted text (I think there's a preference to do that,
>somewhere) and then I just edit that, removing some, adding new lines.

How did you get the mail traffic into Thunderbird? I have Thunderbird myself but I only know how to access the forums from the Eclipse website, which doesn't appear to have a quoting option, unless I'm just not seeing it..

>I hope WTP works as well for you as you've heard and deserves its good
>reputation. Good luck!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying it.
Re: Basic Installation Question [message #520679 is a reply to message #520622] Sun, 14 March 2010 07:15 Go to previous message
David Williams is currently offline David WilliamsFriend
Messages: 176
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Rhino wrote:

>
> How did you get the mail traffic into Thunderbird? I have Thunderbird
> myself but I only know how to access the forums from the Eclipse
> website, which doesn't appear to have a quoting option, unless I'm just
> not seeing it..
>

The "forums" are a web based front-end to newsgroups. You can access the
same information either way. I usually access as newsgroups. The host
name for the newsgroup is "news.eclipse.org". I suspect there's setup
info on eclipse somewhere. I think you need to register? Get a password?
I don't recall details.
Previous Topic:OpenAjax Metadata Support in JSDT
Next Topic:Bug 261393
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Nov 26 14:19:26 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03039 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software