Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Moveable Views/Editors
Moveable Views/Editors [message #515301] Thu, 18 February 2010 07:30 Go to next message
Markus  rüger is currently offline Markus rüger
Messages: 364
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi RAP-Team,

I know there is an old post for the "moveable Views/Editor" issue, but I
want to revive it.
Since DnD is now supported by RAP, is there a plan on implementing the DnD
of ViewParts and EditorPart, or is there a blocker that it can not be
implemented?

Regards,
Markus
Re: Moveable Views/Editors [message #515434 is a reply to message #515301] Thu, 18 February 2010 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rüdiger Herrmann is currently offline Rüdiger Herrmann
Messages: 563
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 18.02.2010 13:30, Markus Krüger wrote:
> Hi RAP-Team,
>
> I know there is an old post for the "moveable Views/Editor" issue, but I
> want to revive it.
> Since DnD is now supported by RAP, is there a plan on implementing the DnD
> of ViewParts and EditorPart, or is there a blocker that it can not be
> implemented?
Currently, there aren't plans to implement this. The blocker is the
Tracker widget that isn't availabel in RAP. It provides the visual
feedback while the user drags around a view or editor.
Without such visual feedback I regard DnD for views/editors as rather
useless.

>
> Regards,
> Markus
>
>
Re: Moveable Views/Editors [message #515514 is a reply to message #515434] Fri, 19 February 2010 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus  rüger is currently offline Markus rüger
Messages: 364
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Thanks for the info.


"R
Re: Moveable Views/Editors [message #537857 is a reply to message #515434] Thu, 03 June 2010 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Austin Riddle is currently offline Austin Riddle
Messages: 128
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I have created a bug with a quick and dirty implementation of view dragging:


https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=315680


It has no user feedback currently, but I would like to see if anyone wants to help me try to finally make this a reality in RAP.

You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #539431 is a reply to message #537857] Thu, 10 June 2010 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Austin Riddle is currently offline Austin Riddle
Messages: 128
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
....and with some feedback...

Amazing what an hour of hacking..."cough"....prototyping can do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkW27ZqAL3k
Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #539534 is a reply to message #539431] Fri, 11 June 2010 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holger Staudacher is currently offline Holger Staudacher
Messages: 166
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Austin,
this is just awesome. I linked your video on the RAP youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RichAjaxPlatform

Regards Holger



On 2010-06-10 19:09:13 +0200, Austin Riddle <austin.riddle@tamu.edu> said:

> ...and with some feedback...
>
> Amazing what an hour of hacking..."cough"....prototyping can do...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkW27ZqAL3k


--
-----------------------------------------

http://eclipsesource.com

http://twitter.com/eclipsesource
Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #541713 is a reply to message #539534] Tue, 22 June 2010 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus  rüger is currently offline Markus rüger
Messages: 364
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
WOW, that is really awsome.

@RAP-TEAM: What about implementing this into RAP? I think this would be a
very great "New and Noteworthy" for the first Milestone of RAP 1.4(or 2.0,
whatever comes next). I would love to see this in svn after 1.3 is release
:-)

"Holger Staudacher" <hstaudacher@eclipsesource.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:husrrv$hn1$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Hi Austin,
> this is just awesome. I linked your video on the RAP youtube channel.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/user/RichAjaxPlatform
>
> Regards Holger
>
>
>
> On 2010-06-10 19:09:13 +0200, Austin Riddle <austin.riddle@tamu.edu> said:
>
>> ...and with some feedback...
>>
>> Amazing what an hour of hacking..."cough"....prototyping can do...
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkW27ZqAL3k
>
>
> --
> -----------------------------------------
>
> http://eclipsesource.com
>
> http://twitter.com/eclipsesource
>
Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #541736 is a reply to message #541713] Tue, 22 June 2010 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Sternberg is currently offline Ralf Sternberg
Messages: 1290
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member

Hi Markus,

Markus Krüger wrote:
> WOW, that is really awsome.
>
> @RAP-TEAM: What about implementing this into RAP? I think this would be a
> very great "New and Noteworthy" for the first Milestone of RAP 1.4(or 2.0,
> whatever comes next). I would love to see this in svn after 1.3 is release
> :-)

I agree that this is very impressive! But I'm not sure how big the
interest in draggable parts (in a web client) generally is. And I
remember that there are still some technical issues with the visual
feedback - see bug 315680.

We didn't make concrete plans for the next version yet, but I think
we'll focus on the high voted (and doable) bugs first. We have to use
our resources wisely to make the best of it for the community.

If everybody's just waiting for draggable parts, then let us know!

Regards, Ralf

> "Holger Staudacher" <hstaudacher@eclipsesource.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:husrrv$hn1$1@build.eclipse.org...
>> Hi Austin,
>> this is just awesome. I linked your video on the RAP youtube channel.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/user/RichAjaxPlatform
>>
>> Regards Holger
>>
>>
>>
>> On 2010-06-10 19:09:13 +0200, Austin Riddle <austin.riddle@tamu.edu> said:
>>
>>> ...and with some feedback...
>>>
>>> Amazing what an hour of hacking..."cough"....prototyping can do...
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkW27ZqAL3k
>>
>> --
>> -----------------------------------------
>>
>> http://eclipsesource.com
>>
>> http://twitter.com/eclipsesource
>>
>
>
Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #541831 is a reply to message #541736] Tue, 22 June 2010 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Austin Riddle is currently offline Austin Riddle
Messages: 128
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
We obviously are... Wink
Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #541836 is a reply to message #541831] Tue, 22 June 2010 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Austin Riddle is currently offline Austin Riddle
Messages: 128
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
For us the draggable parts are very important since one of our products is a workbench heavy RAP Application that relies upon the user being able to customize his/her view of information based on their task at hand.

In reference to feedback, please see the comments I just made on the ticket.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=315680

[Updated on: Tue, 22 June 2010 13:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #541954 is a reply to message #541736] Wed, 23 June 2010 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus  rüger is currently offline Markus rüger
Messages: 364
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
We are also waiting for it, it's not that high prio but our users already
stated interests in it.
Just added my vote :-)

"Ralf Sternberg" <rsternberg@eclipsesource.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:hvq7p7$vtf$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Hi Markus,
>
> Markus Kr
icon5.gif  Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #894805 is a reply to message #541954] Tue, 10 July 2012 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JinuJose Dhanaraj is currently offline JinuJose Dhanaraj
Messages: 4
Registered: July 2012
Junior Member
In my RAP 1.5 sample application DnD of ViewParts feature is not working.

Anyone have an idea, that DnD of ViewParts and EditorPart feature is implemented in the RAP latest release (Version 1.5) ?


Thanks in Advance,
Jose
Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #894818 is a reply to message #894805] Tue, 10 July 2012 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Buschtoens is currently offline Tim Buschtoens
Messages: 381
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi.

>
> Anyone have an idea, that DnD of ViewParts and EditorPart feature is
> implemented in the RAP latest release (Version 1.5) ?

Sorry, still not supported. The whole thing is just so complicated that
there are always more than enough issues/features that have a higher
investment/payoff quota or are more urgent. And frankly, it also doesn't
look too good for RAP 2.0, since we only have till the end of the year
to work on that. The way i see it, we can currently not justify to
invest the required time into this feature.

Greetings,
Tim

--
Tim Buschtöns

Twitter: @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #894820 is a reply to message #539431] Tue, 10 July 2012 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ronald So is currently offline Ronald So
Messages: 198
Registered: April 2011
Senior Member
Oh my god. What do you mean by no user feedback? I have even cast my vote in Bugzilla to *hope* that this improvement will happen in the near future. Actually, I want this feature *yesterday*.

Smile
Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #894909 is a reply to message #894818] Wed, 11 July 2012 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JinuJose Dhanaraj is currently offline JinuJose Dhanaraj
Messages: 4
Registered: July 2012
Junior Member
Thanks for the information, Tim.

We are developing our application in RCP and then migrate it to RAP and to have less compatible issue between RCP & RAP, we have chosen Eclipse Juno (latest version) for the development. Is there any other feature which works in RCP and not compatible with RAP?

Another major task in our project is render the existing Swing UI in RCP && RAP. We were able to render the existing Swing UI in the RCP application. How about in RAP? Will the Swing UI rendering work or it has any compatible issue?

Thanks in Advance,
Jose

[Updated on: Wed, 11 July 2012 00:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #894954 is a reply to message #894909] Wed, 11 July 2012 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Buschtoens is currently offline Tim Buschtoens
Messages: 381
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi.

> Juno (latest version) for the development. Is there any other feature
> which works in RCP and not compatible with RAP?

Look here:
http://eclipse.org/rap/developers-guide/devguide.php?topic=rwt/differences.html

If you require a specific missing feature, open an enhancement request
(if none exists). But if you want to be certain that it's implemented in
a specific time-frame, look for professional services, or contribute a
very solid patch.

>
> Another major task in our project is rendering the existing Swing UI in
> RCP && RAP. We were able to render the existing Swing UI in the RCP
> application. How about in RAP? Will the Swing UI rendering work or it
> has any compatible issue?
>

The SWT_AWT bridge is not available in RAP. It probably never will be,
at least not in the foreseeable future.


Greetings,
Tim

--
Tim Buschtöns

Twitter: @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #894955 is a reply to message #894820] Wed, 11 July 2012 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Buschtoens is currently offline Tim Buschtoens
Messages: 381
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
> near future. Actually, I want this feature *yesterday*.
>

Time-Travel is currently not implemented in RAP. Sorry.

--
Tim Buschtöns

Twitter: @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: You can't be serious...draggable views? [message #895112 is a reply to message #894954] Wed, 11 July 2012 13:34 Go to previous message
JinuJose Dhanaraj is currently offline JinuJose Dhanaraj
Messages: 4
Registered: July 2012
Junior Member
Thanks a lot Tim.

regards,
Jose
Previous Topic:RWT-OSGI and security
Next Topic:Key Bindings in RAP
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Aug 21 18:17:30 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02708 seconds