Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » AM3 » KM3 Questions
KM3 Questions [message #514016] Fri, 12 February 2010 07:18 Go to next message
Markus Herrmannsdoerfer is currently offline Markus HerrmannsdoerferFriend
Hi,

I was wondering which features of Ecore are exactly supported by KM3.
More specifically, I am interested in whether generic types can be
specified in KM3? As far as I can see, KM3 does not support generic types.

Furthermore, I was looking at the metamodels in the AtlanticZoo which
can be both accessed in KM3 and Ecore notation. However, it seems that
the annotations specified in KM3 get lost in the transformation process
to the Ecore notation. Is that a bug or a feature?

Thanks for answers to these questions.
Cheers,

Markus
Re: KM3 Questions [message #514047 is a reply to message #514016] Fri, 12 February 2010 09:56 Go to previous message
Guillaume Doux is currently offline Guillaume DouxFriend
Hi,

I will try to answer to your questions Smile

First, we have to say that generic types are not supported by km3.
It's due to the fact that km3 is not dependent of any language, the current implementation is in EMF but an implementation in .net can also be done.
As you now generic types in EMF are mostly use for code generation (in Java) and then if km3 have supported generic types, what kind of implementation must have been chosen, a Java one, a .net one or another one ?
Furthermore in km3 we didn't see cases to use generic types. If it's to make collections, we are used to model collection in km3 with references with a multiplicity * and not to create "collections" type for example.

About the annotations specified in km3, it's a feature because there are now deprecated. The good way to specify them should be now to use another annotation model and to use a process km32ecore then ecore+annotation2ecore to process the annotation. But as the zoo is anterior to this, contents of annotations nsprefix and nsuri is ignored in the zoo building.

Thanks for your interest,

Guillaume.
Re: KM3 Questions [message #579397 is a reply to message #514016] Fri, 12 February 2010 09:56 Go to previous message
Guillaume Doux is currently offline Guillaume DouxFriend
Hi,

I will try to answer to your questions :)

First, we have to say that generic types are not supported by km3.
It's due to the fact that km3 is not dependent of any language, the current implementation is in EMF but an implementation in .net can also be done.
As you now generic types in EMF are mostly use for code generation (in Java) and then if km3 have supported generic types, what kind of implementation must have been chosen, a Java one, a .net one or another one ?
Furthermore in km3 we didn't see cases to use generic types. If it's to make collections, we are used to model collection in km3 with references with a multiplicity * and not to create "collections" type for example.

About the annotations specified in km3, it's a feature because there are now deprecated. The good way to specify them should be now to use another annotation model and to use a process km32ecore then ecore+annotation2ecore to process the annotation. But as the zoo is anterior to this, contents of annotations nsprefix and nsuri is ignored in the zoo building.

Thanks for your interest,

Guillaume.
Previous Topic:KM3 Questions
Next Topic:Problem on installing the new am3, help plz
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:09:56 GMT 2024