Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Where is the RCP source when using EMF?(I generated a product (works!), but I can't find the RCP code.)
Where is the RCP source when using EMF? [message #513714] Wed, 10 February 2010 22:33 Go to next message
Herb Miller is currently offline Herb Miller
Messages: 139
Registered: January 2010
Senior Member
I have taken a model and used EMF to generate interfaces, impls, edit and editor code (plus a few others - standard EMF output). Then I used this code as the basis of an RCP project, which I used to make a stand-alone product. Everything actually worked, which really amazed me.

Now I would like to modify the display. I want to add some forms instead of just the vanilla (although useful) GUI that is generated when exporting a product.

I tried exporting the source code, but it only gave me the code that I already had from the EMF project. I could not find the RCP code.

Any idea how I can find the code added by the RCP translation?
Or, any idea how I can accomplish what I want to do?

Thanks.

Re: Where is the RCP source when using EMF? [message #513817 is a reply to message #513714] Thu, 11 February 2010 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed Merks
Messages: 26141
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Herb,

I'm not sure I follow your question. Exporting code only exports what
you have in your workspace. Building an RCP application involves using a
bunch of library provided by Eclipse and in the case of an EMF RCP
application, also some libraries provided by EMF. These libraries are
typically in the form of jarred bundles. The source for those bundles
are in the form of source bundles that are part of the RCP and EMF
SDKs. You shouldn't expect export to produce them. Note that you can
look at your plugin dependencies to figure out all the bundles your
applications relies on directly and indirectly.


Herb Miller wrote:
> I have taken a model and used EMF to generate interfaces, impls, edit
> and editor code (plus a few others - standard EMF output). Then I
> used this code as the basis of an RCP project, which I used to make a
> stand-alone product. Everything actually worked, which really amazed me.
>
> Now I would like to modify the display. I want to add some forms
> instead of just the vanilla (although useful) GUI that is generated
> when exporting a product.
>
> I tried exporting the source code, but it only gave me the code that I
> already had from the EMF project. I could not find the RCP code.
>
> Any idea how I can find the code added by the RCP translation?
> Or, any idea how I can accomplish what I want to do?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
Re: Where is the RCP source when using EMF? [message #513934 is a reply to message #513817] Thu, 11 February 2010 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Herb Miller is currently offline Herb Miller
Messages: 139
Registered: January 2010
Senior Member
I wanted to modify the GUI with some forms for data entry instead of the default property sheet, so I needed to override/change some of the GUI code produced by RCP. Plus, I am going to need to know how to hook up the model data to the forms so the model can be updated correctly.

I think I found the GUI hooks. The RCP translation builds a new file called MyAppEditorAdvisor. There seems to be a lot of GUI stuff in that file (Perspective, createInitialLayout, WorkbenchAdvisor, WindowAdvisor, etc.). I will have to figure out how to use these properly in order to change the GUI, correct?

How hard will it be to hook up any new forms I create for the GUI to the model data?

Thanks.

Re: Where is the RCP source when using EMF? [message #513960 is a reply to message #513934] Thu, 11 February 2010 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed Merks
Messages: 26141
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Herb,

Comments below.

Herb Miller wrote:
> I wanted to modify the GUI with some forms for data entry instead of
> the default property sheet, so I needed to override/change some of the
> GUI code produced by RCP.
The EEF project has nice forms. I'm not sure it works with RCP. I
imagine it should work fine there...
> Plus, I am going to need to know how to hook up the model data to the
> forms so the model can be updated correctly.
EEF would take care of that...
>
> I think I found the GUI hooks. The RCP translation builds a new file
> called MyAppEditorAdvisor. There seems to be a lot of GUI stuff in
> that file (Perspective, createInitialLayout, WorkbenchAdvisor,
> WindowAdvisor, etc.). I will have to figure out how to use these
> properly in order to change the GUI, correct?
Yes, to change the overall layout of the perspective.
>
> How hard will it be to hook up any new forms I create for the GUI to
> the model data?
If EEF isn't your thing, the data binding integration with EMF should be
useful. Tom Schindl has some very nice blogs about how to use that.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
Re: Where is the RCP source when using EMF? [message #514002 is a reply to message #513960] Fri, 12 February 2010 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Herb Miller is currently offline Herb Miller
Messages: 139
Registered: January 2010
Senior Member
Okay, I tried all day to get through the EEF tutorial. I couldn't get it to work. I guess I need need to try something else.

How can I get to the data binding/EMF blogs by Tom Schindl?

Thanks.
Re: Where is the RCP source when using EMF? [message #514164 is a reply to message #514002] Fri, 12 February 2010 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed Merks
Messages: 26141
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------000801060007030403060609
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Herb,

It looks like folks were quite responsive to answering your EFF questions...

Entering your question below into a Google search box turns things up,
e.g.,

http://tomsondev.bestsolution.at/2009/06/06/galileo-emf-data binding-part-1/


Herb Miller wrote:
> Okay, I tried all day to get through the EEF tutorial. I couldn't get
> it to work. I guess I need need to try something else.
>
> How can I get to the data binding/EMF blogs by Tom Schindl?
>
> Thanks.

--------------000801060007030403060609
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<meta content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
Herb,<br>
<br>
It looks like folks were quite responsive to answering your EFF
questions...<br>
<br>
Entering your question below into a Google search box turns things up,
e.g., <br>
<blockquote><a
href=" http://tomsondev.bestsolution.at/2009/06/06/galileo-emf-data binding-part-1/"> http://tomsondev.bestsolution.at/2009/06/06/galileo-emf-data binding-part-1/</a><br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Herb Miller wrote:
<blockquote cite="mid:hl27k8$n83$1@build.eclipse.org" type="cite">Okay,
I tried all day to get through the EEF tutorial.  I couldn't get it to
work.  I guess I need need to try something else.
<br>
<br>
How can I get to the data binding/EMF blogs by Tom Schindl?
<br>
<br>
Thanks.
<br>
</blockquote>
</body>
</html>

--------------000801060007030403060609--
Re: Where is the RCP source when using EMF? [message #514175 is a reply to message #514164] Fri, 12 February 2010 17:17 Go to previous message
Herb Miller is currently offline Herb Miller
Messages: 139
Registered: January 2010
Senior Member
Yes, I would say they have been pretty responsive. But I make so many mistakes myself, I usually spend a lot of time re-doing the steps of the tutorial trying to find where I did something wrong. I hate to ask a dumb question.

I am still tracking down the EEF tutorial problem I am having in the EMFT forum. I think the 1st part of my problem "refreshing the edit project" was not in the tutorial. I was using this tutorial:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/EEF_tutorial_:_First_generation#EEF_ generation_with_EMF_treeview_editor

I was sent a link to another one with a video. I don't think the refresh step is there either, but I don't hear any audio. It could be in the audio. Anyway, I am still working that one.

Thanks for the link to the databinding info. I can be multiplexing databinding and EEF in order not to be spinning my wheels.

Thanks.



Previous Topic:Why PropertySheetPage doesn't work?
Next Topic:EditorPart.doSaveAs() for native file system or workspace
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Oct 25 17:48:57 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02439 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software