Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Using P2 to find "All Plugins that depend somehow on Plugin X"
Using P2 to find "All Plugins that depend somehow on Plugin X" [message #506378] Thu, 07 January 2010 11:06 Go to next message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

Hi,

I'm running some API analysis to create some statistics for classes of a given plugin. For instance, I would like to provide the information which methods are typically overridden by subclasses of a given framework class etc. See http://code.google.com/p/code-recommenders/wiki/ExtendedAPID ocs for illustration.

Since I'm analysing a rather large amount of code for these statistics I want to speedup my analysis a little bit. What I want to achieve is the following:
Given a bundle id like org.eclipse.jface, I want to find all bundles / jars that have a dependency to org.eclipse.jface, i.e., may use or extend (directly or indirectly) a class of the JFace framework. With this information I could minimize the number of jars to scan for example classes.

My question is: Can I use p2 to discover such dependencies? If yes, can you provide me some hints how to achieve that?

Thanks in advance,
Marcel
Re: Using P2 to find "All Plugins that depend somehow on Plugin X" [message #506464 is a reply to message #506378] Thu, 07 January 2010 15:43 Go to previous message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

Hi,

I made some progress. However, the internals of p2 are still challenging. So far I managed to access the installable units and to read out their direct dependencies (as shown below). However, the indirect dependencies are not resolved yet. Is there a utility method or class that traverses the IUs to see whether a dependency can be resolved by the current metadatarepositories? Something I can directly reuse for my needs? Or should I implement this from scratch?

Thank You.
Marcel

final File repoPath = new File("D:/repository");
        final NullProgressMonitor monitor = new NullProgressMonitor();
        final IMetadataRepository metaRep = ProvisioningUtil.loadMetadataRepository(repoPath.toURI(),
                                                                                    monitor);
        final Collector collector = new Collector();
        metaRep.query(new MatchQuery()
        {

@Override
            public boolean isMatch(final Object candidate)
            {
                return candidate instanceof IInstallableUnit;
            }
        }, collector, monitor);
        for (final IInstallableUnit iu : (Collection<IInstallableUnit>) collector.toCollection())
        {
            final IRequiredCapability[] metaRequiredCapabilities = iu.getMetaRequiredCapabilities();
            final IRequiredCapability[] requiredCapabilities = iu.getRequiredCapabilities();
            for (final IRequiredCapability cap : requiredCapabilities)
            {
                final String name = cap.getName();
                // works for direct dependencies declared inside the manifest file only:
                if ("org.eclipse.swt".equals(name))
                {
                    System.out.println("requires swt:" + iu);
                    break;
                }
            }
            System.out.println("");
        }
Previous Topic:Problem updating product using P2
Next Topic:Equinox Launcher 64bit version ( eclipse.exe ) -console option not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:32:08 GMT 2024