Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Common usages of views and editors in Eclipse RCP applications regarding to enterprise automation?
Common usages of views and editors in Eclipse RCP applications regarding to enterprise automation? [message #504416] Fri, 18 December 2009 13:48 Go to next message
Grigory Ptashko is currently offline Grigory PtashkoFriend
Hello.

I am a software developer working with different ERPs based on different platforms. Java is one of them. I've decided to learn Eclipse RCP. I am trying to understand the basics of Eclipse RCP regarding its views and editors concept. Working with other platforms I don't care how to make a form in GUI. All the forms in my application can show data say from a DB or save this data back into the DB. And I don't care if a form shows the list of entities or a detailed info about an entity. Here, in Eclipse RCP, I see that a form can reside in a view or in an editor. What is the difference between them? I would like to hear these differences from a business point of view, please. Or maybe these differences can be explained only in terms like "editor cannot have its own toolbar"? I would like to understand the purposes or common usages as a user not as a developer.

Thank you.
Re: Common usages of views and editors in Eclipse RCP applications regarding to enterprise automatio [message #504439 is a reply to message #504416] Sat, 19 December 2009 08:51 Go to previous message
Michael Golovanov is currently offline Michael GolovanovFriend
At my opinion view-editor implement IDE-like approach to application design.

- View is display some resources (connections to repository or files in project)
- Editors is a windows placed in stack on editor area. Editor purpose is edit one of the resources.

Your design approach is more traditional and based on forms/dialogs (if i wrong, sorry).
Eclipse RCP allow development at this paradigm too, but according with IDE nature of Eclipse view/editor approach is used more often.
Previous Topic:popup menus not working (for me)
Next Topic:corrupted eclipse JAR signature?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:19:39 GMT 2024