Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » COBOL » Cobol Compiler available in plug-in
Cobol Compiler available in plug-in [message #500678] Fri, 27 November 2009 13:42 Go to next message
cdsosi is currently offline cdsosiFriend
Hello,

I am using Cobol Plugin for eclipse and I am facing some problems using it.

Cobol Plug-in seems to be plugged with Fujitsu NetCobol Compiler by default.

1st question :
Is it possible to plug this plug-in with another compiler (freeware!)?

2nd question :
If i want to only use the editor part not the compiler, is it possible to remove the link with the building process.

3rd question :
I do not have Fujitsu NetCobol Compiler with my plug-in of course and there is a side-effect which is a problem to me. A thread tries to build the project at some regular intervals and erase the console output systematically before logging build output message. All the previously logged messages are lost ;(((
Example of build output :

Project TEST build started at 27 novembre 2009 12:12:45
Project TEST build finished at 27 novembre 2009 12:12:45
--------------------------------------------------

Last question :
Would not it be possible to introduce a specific console for buildind process?

Any help or suggestions on all that would be appreciated.

Regards
Re: Cobol Compiler available in plug-in [message #502185 is a reply to message #500678] Mon, 07 December 2009 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tetsuya Suehisa is currently offline Tetsuya SuehisaFriend
Hello cdsosi,

Thank you for using COBOL Plugin. I will answer your question.

1. As you mentioned, the COBOL Plugin is originally designed to use FUJITSU NetCOBOL compiler.
If you want to switch the compiler to OpenCOBOL or some sort of free COBOL, you can modify the plugin.
But I know it is not easy and requires much time to improve it so that even we have not provide the function.
If you are interested in developing COBOL Plugin, will you join us and contribute this?

2. The instructions below may be the help.
Select the project and click right button > Properties > Builders > Uncheck COBOL Builer and push OK

3. Same as No.2.

4. I'm sorry I don't understand what you want. Could you tell me a little more concretely?

regards,
tetsuya
Re: Cobol Compiler available in plug-in [message #502215 is a reply to message #502185] Mon, 07 December 2009 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cdsosi is currently offline cdsosiFriend
Hello Tetsuya,

Thanks for answering too!

1. I do not have much time to go deep inside the COBOL Plugin especially if you say that it is not easy part but maybe later and same remark for joining and contributing Wink

2. Thanks for the checkbox state to disable on the Project Properties. I had not seen that.
I went to the Window > Preferences > COBOL menu and in the COBOL Settings area there is a checkbox FUJITSU NetCOBOL that is "uncheckable" (I thought it was the way to disable building process...)

3. ok

4. I 'll try to be more explicit!! Because of problem mentioned in 3 i thought it could be a solution to introduce a specific view (named "COBOL Console " for instance) in eclipse to log messages from COBOL Plugin building process. Specific consoles are often available in eclipse for CVS, Tomcat, ... In fact it seems that it is not a problem and that a specific console is already available for COBOL building process!! In the "Display Selected Console" it was the COBOL Build Process that is selected by default. Other messages can be viewed by selecting other console... Sorry about that.

However, I think there is another little problem that you should be interested in knowing (when the Project > Properties > Builders > COBOL Builder is checked Wink). I am developping a plugin under eclipse and have several projects in my workspace (Java, Java Plugin, COBOL). When I debug my plugin by launching a second eclipse runtime instance (Debug As Eclipse Application in other words!) the COBOL building process is launched many times (13 times, the build messages are displayed and erased ~ 13 times) althought the COBOL project has no modification inside. I do not think that it is a normal behavior.

Regards
Re: Cobol Compiler available in plug-in [message #753965 is a reply to message #502215] Mon, 31 October 2011 08:56 Go to previous message
Juanita  Young is currently offline Juanita YoungFriend
COBOL comes to the Java virtual machine and the New Eclipse Plugin Apache Tomcat
COBOL comes to the Java platform
Today, Micro Focus is the release of 30-day free trial of Visual COBOL R3. This development environment enables COBOL users choose from a selection of development platforms and frameworks, including Eclipse and the JVM platform. Visual COBOL R3 also adds C # and Java-like constructs in an attempt to make programming easier for Java and COBOL NET. The project also includes a "Visual COBOL Development Hub 'for Linux and Unix, allowing users to compile and debug COBOL code on your desktop remotely. More information about the project can be found on the website of Micro Focus.
In over 50 years of age, COBOL (Common Business Oriented foot Language) is one of the oldest programming languages.

Microsoft-Novell deal was still in danger CPTLN
According to TechFlash, Microsoft led consortium CPTN are considering buying Novell patents. Although the patent was withdrawn, TechFlash Microsoft has said that this was just a procedural step "is necessary to allow time to review the proposed transaction." The consortium of Apple, Oracle and EMC, as well as Microsoft. Novell is being acquired by Attachmate Corporation in a transaction valued at approximately $ 2.2 billion, with the consortium CPTN apparently still thinking about buying at the same time "certain intellectual property assets" for $ 450 million. The open source community has expressed concern about the acquisition of these patents CPTN.

IcedTea Security Releases
A new set of security updates have been made available to the IcedTea project: icedtea6 1.7.7, 1.8.4 and 1.9.4 icedtea6 icedtea6. The IcedTea project provides a harness to compile the source code OpenJDK6 using Free Software build tools. Please see the blog of a list of bugs fixed.

RackSpace partner with Akamai
Rackspace hosting and cloud hosting software company announced a "strategic relationship" with Akamai, a provider of optimization services in the cloud. Rackspace will offer Akamai web application now and optimize cloud services as part of its portfolio of cloud hosting. Akamai Rackspace integrates features such as Secure Sockets Layer CNAME, in an effort to create a "one stop shop" for housing, clouds and content acceleration services and web applications.
Previous Topic:CooCox Colink
Next Topic:Freecobol compilers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:08:41 GMT 2024