Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Dynamic Languages Toolkit (DLTK) » Java/Javascript Debugging in DLTK1.0?
Java/Javascript Debugging in DLTK1.0? [message #499239] Fri, 20 November 2009 14:29 Go to next message
Bill Knotts is currently offline Bill KnottsFriend
Hoping to get a bit of guidance regarding the current level of support for Java/JavaScript debugging in DLTK 1.0.

I have attempted the steps below using fresh installs of the latest version 3.5.1 classic IDE, with DLTK added from http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/updates/, on Windows XP.

I have a simple Java class that invokes an equally simple JavaScript file and was attempting to try typical debug activities against the JavaScript file (set breakpoints, step thru/over).

The launcher for the Debug Configuration is set to 'Debugging with JavaScript debug support launcher'.

Running the Debug Configuration results in a 'Problem Ocurred' dialog box being displayed with the following details:
"Cannot connect to VM"
"socket closed"

while in the console, the following is visible:
"Error opening zip file or JAR manifest missing : C:/rhino-agent.jar"
"Error occurred during initialization of VM"
"agent library failed to init: instrument"

Obviously the first thing I did was poke around for any file, anywhere, named rhino-agent.jar but did not find one (nor did I expect to given the unusual location in the console output).

This leads me to a couple of questions:
- Is what I am trying to do currently supported in this version of DLTK?
- If so, do the steps I am taking to launch a combined Java/JavaScript debug session appear to be correct?
- If so, any suggestions for resolving the error?

All advice or recommendations are welcome...

Regards,
Bill
Re: Java/Javascript Debugging in DLTK1.0? [message #1115161 is a reply to message #499239] Mon, 23 September 2013 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan Day is currently offline Ryan DayFriend
I am having a similar issue--at least a similar error message when I try to debug a Java project. I get a "Problem Occurred" popup that states:

'Launching MyLibrary(1)' has encountered a problem.
Cannot connect to VM

with details stating:

Cannot connect to VM
Socket operation on nonsocket: configureBlocking

and in the console:

Error opening zip file or JAR manifest missing : C:/rhino-agent.jar
Error occurred during initialization of VM
agent library failed to init: instrument

Did you ever get a resolution on this? I am running

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers

Version: Kepler Release
Build id: 20130614-0229

and everything was working fine until I installed DLTK 5.0 for some Ruby learning I am doing. Is this an incompatibility with the IDE for Java Developers version?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure this out!
Re: Java/Javascript Debugging in DLTK1.0? [message #1232953 is a reply to message #499239] Sat, 18 January 2014 06:14 Go to previous message
Andrew Marder is currently offline Andrew MarderFriend
I had a similar situation on Indigo. I tried to revert to an earlier configuration but this didn't help much. Here are the steps that helped me. Your mileage may vary.
-Select your project and go to Debug configurations
-Delete the current debug configuration
-Create a new one. Note what launcher is used (at the bottom of the main tab) In my case it was using JavaScript launcher which was a global default. This explains why I could not debug my Java project - the debug configuration should be using Eclipse JDT launcher. I have no idea how this happened. I'm speculating that some package that I installed changed that. I also made Eclipse JDT launcher a global default just to be safe: Window->Preferences->->Run/Debug->Launching
Now i can debug again
HTH
Andy
Previous Topic:Unparsing Ruby/Python/Whatever
Next Topic:Can DLTK be used for mixed Python and TCL Code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:56:21 GMT 2024