Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Memory Analyzer (MAT) » Perm gem space taken by classloader or class definition
Perm gem space taken by classloader or class definition [message #498303] Mon, 16 November 2009 12:10 Go to next message
Jose Fermin Alvarez is currently offline Jose Fermin AlvarezFriend
I'm analyzing a heap dump in MAT from a application having a OutOfMemoryError: PermGen full error.
According to The unknown generation perm blog post , the
Class Loader Explorer report shows the list of classloaders and a list of defined classes per classloader.

How can I get the perm gem space is taken by a specific classloader or class definition?

Thanks
Jose Fermin Alvarez
Re: Perm gem space taken by classloader or class definition [message #498416 is a reply to message #498303] Mon, 16 November 2009 20:00 Go to previous message
Andreas Buchen is currently offline Andreas BuchenFriend
Hi Jose,

unfortunately, the HPROF heap dump does not contain size information about the perm space. In that respect, the class loaders and the number of classes give an indication of the pem space used, but no exact numbers.

If you happen to use the SAP JVM (and have the SAP Extension to the MAT installed), you can get a little bit more information. It will print information about the perm size per class. However, this data is also very difficult to interpret.

From my experience, I would look at (a) duplicate classes, (b) class loaders which are kept alive even though they should be removed, (c) check whether you can avoid generating too many classes and (d) do not deploy stuff not needed. Often, however, one needs to increase the perm space... Sad

Best wishes,

Andreas.
Previous Topic:using "dominatorof" in query
Next Topic:Any plans to support C++?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:52:43 GMT 2024