Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Global preferences in 3.5(The difficulties of providing global, default preferences in Eclipse 3.5)
Global preferences in 3.5 [message #492434] Tue, 20 October 2009 12:35
Miles Daffin is currently offline Miles DaffinFriend
Hi All,

I have been posting on this subject under the now misleading title of 'Global preferences in 3.4'. Please see the following thread for details:

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=49089 8

I will include my last message here for your convenience.

----

Hi All,

In case anyone is interested the task of provinding default global preferences is harder in 3.5. Here is what I had to do.

1. Create a 3.5 default install based on classic with all the features/plugins required by default.
2. Configure this install (Windows > Preferences)
3. Export all preferences to an epf file which is then converted into an ini file that can be applied via at the command line via -plugincustomization: remove the /instance/ and /configuration/ scope prefixes; remove any preferences that we really do not want as global defaults.

When I tested the resulting file using the -plugincustomization command line argument on an unconfigured installation I noticed that some preferences had not been applied: anything under Install/Update and General/Network Connections. It seems that these preferences are persisted in .prefs files in the eclipse install. So I tried copying them from the configured install to the same location in the test install and voila - they were applied.

All this seems pretty inconsistent and could do with looking at. Does anyone know if there is a suitable bugzilla to which I could add some observations? If not I will open one.

Thanks,

Miles
Previous Topic:How to get the project path
Next Topic:Common Navigator programmatically toggle filter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:20:13 GMT 2024