Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » version qualifier replacement in product configuration
version qualifier replacement in product configuration [message #491402] Wed, 14 October 2009 12:59 Go to next message
Alex Chatziparaskewas is currently offline Alex ChatziparaskewasFriend
Hi

All of our bundles, features, fragments, product definitions contain this 'qualifier' appendix to their 'x.y.z' version number or when they reference an artifact. If now a buckminster build is done, this qualifier is replaced by the appropriate chosen strategy - SVN revision, timestamp - everywhere. This seems to work everywhere BUT for product definitions.

In order to run a (feature based) product definition in the IDE, the dependent features must be specified with their specific version, e.g. 1.0.0.qualifier. Otherwise the product simply cannot be started inside the IDE. Now, after building (buckminister) and deployment (p2 director) the 1.0.0.qualifiers are not replaced in the product definition and of course now it does not run outside the IDE.

Regards
Alex

PS: Currently, I cannot provide a test case ... computer crashed
Re: version qualifier replacement in product configuration [message #491414 is a reply to message #491402] Wed, 14 October 2009 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Hi Alex,
A way around this is to avoid specifying ID and Version in the product definition file. Just leave them blank. Let the
product be feature based and use exactly one feature (typically, let the .product definition live in the feature that it
points to). The expanded version is then picked from that one feature.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

On 10/14/2009 02:59 PM, Alex Chatziparaskewas wrote:
> Hi
>
> All of our bundles, features, fragments, product definitions contain
> this 'qualifier' appendix to their 'x.y.z' version number or when they
> reference an artifact. If now a buckminster build is done, this
> qualifier is replaced by the appropriate chosen strategy - SVN revision,
> timestamp - everywhere. This seems to work everywhere BUT for product
> definitions.
>
> In order to run a (feature based) product definition in the IDE, the
> dependent features must be specified with their specific version, e.g.
> 1.0.0.qualifier. Otherwise the product simply cannot be started inside
> the IDE. Now, after building (buckminister) and deployment (p2 director)
> the 1.0.0.qualifiers are not replaced in the product definition and of
> course now it does not run outside the IDE.
>
> Regards
> Alex
>
> PS: Currently, I cannot provide a test case ... computer crashed
Re: version qualifier replacement in product configuration [message #638099 is a reply to message #491402] Tue, 09 November 2010 22:06 Go to previous message
Alex Kravets is currently offline Alex KravetsFriend
Hi Thomas,

I might have a problem related to this one. I have a feature (x.y.z.feature) that includes plug-ins that make my product. I also have another feature (x.y.z.product.feature) that hosts a product file that relies on x.y.z and has product definition file. If I understand correctly from your response above is that x.y.z.feature should really have the product definition file, and the product should reference the hosting feature. I tried setting up feature this way, but still got the same result - no qualifier replacement: http://i.imgur.com/nTvti.png. In addition with this setup, the feature dependencies that I have in the product make it into update site, is there anyway to avoid that?

thanks,
Alex
Previous Topic:Feature does not show up in the features list
Next Topic:JUnit command runs but reports no tests and no errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:18:38 GMT 2024