Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Provisioning the SDK from scratch
Provisioning the SDK from scratch [message #488980] Thu, 01 October 2009 03:40 Go to next message
Ben Vitale is currently offline Ben VitaleFriend
The wiki page for the director app has a section that talks about "Installing a Complete Product." I want to do exactly that: provision the Eclipse SDK from the 3.6 milestone repository into a local directory. From scratch. Don't want to update 3.5 to 3.6.

So the director app ships with Eclipse. Is there a standalone download that just has the bare minimum to run it? Or do I have to download the SDK and then specify that launcher plugin? Seems like a chicken and egg problem..

In any case, I tried the following example, referencing the 3.5 launcher:

C:\eclipse3.5>java -jar plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_*.jar -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director -metadataRepository http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.6milestones -artifactRepository http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.6milestones -installIU org.eclipse.sdk.ide -profile SDKProfile -profileProperties org.eclipse.update.install.features=true -bundlepool c:/output -p2.os win32 -p2.ws win32 -p2.arch x68 -roaming -vmargs -Declipse.p2.data.area=c:/output/p2

But it fails, and the error message includes this:

Software being installed: Eclipse SDK 3.6.0.I20090917-0100
Software currently installed: Eclipse SDK 3.5.0.I20090611-1540

I don't understand. Why is it even looking at my 3.5 profile? Where did I reference that? Does the launcher know its profile? The whole point of what I'm trying to do is setup a new Eclipse install, not update my 3.5 setup, which I'm only even referencing because I need the director app from some plugin there.

My end goal is to use the director app to headlessly provision the SDK, followed by content from other repositories, such as BIRT, GEF, etc.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Ben

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2009 03:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Provisioning the SDK from scratch [message #489097 is a reply to message #488980] Thu, 01 October 2009 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

I use the director in 3.5 to provision a complete SDK ... it looks almost identical to yours, except I also have -destination (which is the same as the bundlepool argument).

I don't believe you need the -Declipse.p2.data.area=c:/output/p2 anymore:

java -jar plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.200.v20090520.jar \
-application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director \
-nosplash \
-consoleLog \
-flavor tooling \
-installIU org.eclipse.sdk.ide \
-p2.os linux \
-p2.ws gtk \
-p2.arch x86 \
-roaming \
-profile SDKProfile \
-repository http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.6milestones \
-destination /opt/local/p2temp \
-bundlepool /opt/local/p2temp

PW

Re: Provisioning the SDK from scratch [message #489236 is a reply to message #488980] Fri, 02 October 2009 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Vitale is currently offline Ben VitaleFriend
Thanks Paul. That's exactly what I needed. I appreciate you taking a look.

Cheers,
Ben
Re: Provisioning the SDK from scratch [message #489258 is a reply to message #489236] Fri, 02 October 2009 07:08 Go to previous message
Erdal Karaca is currently offline Erdal KaracaFriend
The eclipse buckminster project has a ready-to-use downloadable director product with executables:

http://www.eclipse.org/buckminster/downloads.html
Previous Topic:upgrade from 3.4.2 to 3.5.1: maintain repositories
Next Topic:How to uninstall software?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:27:31 GMT 2024