Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Visual Editor (VE) » possible VE involvement?
possible VE involvement? [message #485839] Tue, 15 September 2009 09:11 Go to next message
Jin Missing name is currently offline Jin Missing nameFriend
Messages: 100
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
this is one part of my email to one current committer. However, no response
still... I posted here to see whether anything or nothing will happen...


===========================

Hi, someone(?):


Today, I see one Wayne Beaton' blog[1] about the VE. I came to remember that
I tried to get in touch with one old VE committer at the early of this year.
But I get no response.


I still hope to involve with the development of VE. You know the current
status of VE is a pain for everyone in the community...


The download link at[2] seem broken. The sources at cvsroot/tools/ are the
latest codes? Is there some plan about the 1.4 or 1.5?(that is, do you have
some plan to modify the base of VE? or just bug-fixing?) Is it possible to
do some discussions about other VE committers?(IRC or other IM?)


I have some time slots recently to do some free development. However, I hope
to do some useful things for the community.


ps: The other reason is I hope to stay in the community. I hope to do some
efforts in more deep contribution. However, I'd like to complete this
efforts in the way of community.



Best regards,
Jin Mingjian




[1] http://dev.eclipse.org/blogs/wayne/2009/09/11/upcoming-proje ct-reviews/
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/vep/downloads/
Re: possible VE involvement? [message #486110 is a reply to message #485839] Wed, 16 September 2009 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: formatzeh.gmx.de

I wish you all the best Jin, that you get in contact with the
developers. And thanks for getting involved yourself.
Re: possible VE involvement? [message #486268 is a reply to message #486110] Thu, 17 September 2009 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jin Missing name is currently offline Jin Missing nameFriend
Messages: 100
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi, Gilbert, thanks for reply:) I guess there will be not any response.


The status for VE is:
1. many many bugs. The stability, performance and usability should be
improved before you propose a new features. However, from some words on the
page, I guess, some ones may like to add new basic framework codes into the
VE.(something like VE for everything, not just for swt/swing).
2. not community based. no plan, not discussion, no bugzilla(for
development). Even the download link has been broken several days ago, and
nobody care?...
3. vicious circle from 1. and 2.

although, as a community enthusiast, I just make a sound.

best regards,
Jin



"Gilbert Mirenque" <formatzeh@gmx.de> д
Re: possible VE involvement? [message #486738 is a reply to message #486268] Fri, 18 September 2009 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yves YANG is currently offline Yves YANGFriend
Messages: 687
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Jin,

Any contribution is more than welcome. Please let me know which part you
want to do first.

<jin.phd@gmail.com> wrote in message news:h8s9mv$dtf$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Hi, Gilbert, thanks for reply:) I guess there will be not any response.
>
> The status for VE is:
> 1. many many bugs. The stability, performance and usability should be
> improved before you propose a new features. However, from some words on
> the page, I guess, some ones may like to add new basic framework codes
> into the VE.(something like VE for everything, not just for swt/swing).

Please give more explanations.

> 2. not community based. no plan, not discussion, no bugzilla(for
> development). Even the download link has been broken several days ago, and
> nobody care?...

We are now just preparing the build 1.4. And afterwards, we need to collec
the requirements and define a next release plan.

Best regards
Yves YANG
> 3. vicious circle from 1. and 2.
>
> although, as a community enthusiast, I just make a sound.
>
> best regards,
> Jin
>
>
>
> "Gilbert Mirenque" <formatzeh@gmx.de>
> д
Re: possible VE involvement? [message #486805 is a reply to message #486738] Sat, 19 September 2009 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jin Missing name is currently offline Jin Missing nameFriend
Messages: 100
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi, yang, yeap, I just email you:) I'm glad to discuss the future of VE here
with you. two parts as followed,

---
> ... However, from some words on the page, I guess, some ones may like to
> add new basic framework codes into the VE.(something like VE for
> everything, not just for swt/swing).

for this sentence, in fact, I want to say that it is best not to think more
addtional features before that we can provide a satisfactory SWT UI Visual
Java Editor for Eclipse community.
some words from the website of VE clued here
"
In particular, the Visual Editor Project intends to be useful for creating
GUI builders for other languages such as C/C++ and alternate widget sets,
including those that are not supported under Java.
"

One thing that I know, is that you are doing the XWT development under e4.
One question is, do you consider to integrate XWT into VE?



---

my thoughts:

1. rebuild the community
it is not needed to forced to answer every questions in the first time like
the EMF team. We should keep most of development activities open to
community.


2. fixing bugs.
If you don't violently change the framework of VE, I will triage(review) all
bugs under the Windows platform and general one from scratch, and fix or
mark them. Hovever, if the frameworkw is planned to be changed, I think this
step may not be useful anymore.


3. stability
minimize dependencies(now emf and gef. jem seem related to WTP? suggest to
resolve this problem).
make more addtional features optional.
The performance should be visited again.


4. enhance the usability
unify newcomer/veteran workflow(and add tooling support), tabbed property...



5. litte addtions before stability
be cautious to add more .
interesting topics like partial nebula widgets support, more RCP support,
modeled UI support?( RCP)


I just like the project leader(you?) could do some plans and arranges for
all committers and contributors. We don't need to wait anything:)
Re: possible VE involvement? [message #487361 is a reply to message #486805] Tue, 22 September 2009 21:12 Go to previous message
Yves YANG is currently offline Yves YANGFriend
Messages: 687
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
<jin.phd@gmail.com> wrote in message news:h92c10$ika$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Hi, yang, yeap, I just email you:) I'm glad to discuss the future of VE
> here with you. two parts as followed,
>
> ---
>> ... However, from some words on the page, I guess, some ones may like to
>> add new basic framework codes into the VE.(something like VE for
>> everything, not just for swt/swing).
>
> for this sentence, in fact, I want to say that it is best not to think
> more addtional features before that we can provide a satisfactory SWT UI
> Visual Java Editor for Eclipse community.
> some words from the website of VE clued here
> "
> In particular, the Visual Editor Project intends to be useful for creating
> GUI builders for other languages such as C/C++ and alternate widget sets,
> including those that are not supported under Java.
> "
1. We should focus on the open bugs.
2. If someone want to contribute some new features, it is welcome.
>
> One thing that I know, is that you are doing the XWT development under e4.
> One question is, do you consider to integrate XWT into VE?
>
Yes. It is definitively a priority feature.

Best regards
Yves YANG
>
>
> ---
>
> my thoughts:
>
> 1. rebuild the community
> it is not needed to forced to answer every questions in the first time
> like the EMF team. We should keep most of development activities open to
> community.
>
>
> 2. fixing bugs.
> If you don't violently change the framework of VE, I will triage(review)
> all bugs under the Windows platform and general one from scratch, and fix
> or mark them. Hovever, if the frameworkw is planned to be changed, I think
> this step may not be useful anymore.
>
>
> 3. stability
> minimize dependencies(now emf and gef. jem seem related to WTP? suggest to
> resolve this problem).
> make more addtional features optional.
> The performance should be visited again.
>
>
> 4. enhance the usability
> unify newcomer/veteran workflow(and add tooling support), tabbed
> property...
>
>
>
> 5. litte addtions before stability
> be cautious to add more .
> interesting topics like partial nebula widgets support, more RCP support,
> modeled UI support?( RCP)
>
>
> I just like the project leader(you?) could do some plans and arranges for
> all committers and contributors. We don't need to wait anything:)
>
Re: possible VE involvement? [message #617420 is a reply to message #485839] Wed, 16 September 2009 11:47 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: formatzeh.gmx.de

I wish you all the best Jin, that you get in contact with the
developers. And thanks for getting involved yourself.
Re: possible VE involvement? [message #617424 is a reply to message #486110] Thu, 17 September 2009 03:18 Go to previous message
Jin Missing name is currently offline Jin Missing nameFriend
Messages: 100
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi, Gilbert, thanks for reply:) I guess there will be not any response.


The status for VE is:
1. many many bugs. The stability, performance and usability should be
improved before you propose a new features. However, from some words on the
page, I guess, some ones may like to add new basic framework codes into the
VE.(something like VE for everything, not just for swt/swing).
2. not community based. no plan, not discussion, no bugzilla(for
development). Even the download link has been broken several days ago, and
nobody care?...
3. vicious circle from 1. and 2.

although, as a community enthusiast, I just make a sound.

best regards,
Jin



"Gilbert Mirenque" <formatzeh@gmx.de> д
Re: possible VE involvement? [message #617435 is a reply to message #486268] Fri, 18 September 2009 20:27 Go to previous message
Yves YANG is currently offline Yves YANGFriend
Messages: 687
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Jin,

Any contribution is more than welcome. Please let me know which part you
want to do first.

<jin.phd@gmail.com> wrote in message news:h8s9mv$dtf$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Hi, Gilbert, thanks for reply:) I guess there will be not any response.
>
> The status for VE is:
> 1. many many bugs. The stability, performance and usability should be
> improved before you propose a new features. However, from some words on
> the page, I guess, some ones may like to add new basic framework codes
> into the VE.(something like VE for everything, not just for swt/swing).

Please give more explanations.

> 2. not community based. no plan, not discussion, no bugzilla(for
> development). Even the download link has been broken several days ago, and
> nobody care?...

We are now just preparing the build 1.4. And afterwards, we need to collec
the requirements and define a next release plan.

Best regards
Yves YANG
> 3. vicious circle from 1. and 2.
>
> although, as a community enthusiast, I just make a sound.
>
> best regards,
> Jin
>
>
>
> "Gilbert Mirenque" <formatzeh@gmx.de>
> д
Re: possible VE involvement? [message #617436 is a reply to message #486738] Sat, 19 September 2009 10:34 Go to previous message
Jin Missing name is currently offline Jin Missing nameFriend
Messages: 100
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi, yang, yeap, I just email you:) I'm glad to discuss the future of VE here
with you. two parts as followed,

---
> ... However, from some words on the page, I guess, some ones may like to
> add new basic framework codes into the VE.(something like VE for
> everything, not just for swt/swing).

for this sentence, in fact, I want to say that it is best not to think more
addtional features before that we can provide a satisfactory SWT UI Visual
Java Editor for Eclipse community.
some words from the website of VE clued here
"
In particular, the Visual Editor Project intends to be useful for creating
GUI builders for other languages such as C/C++ and alternate widget sets,
including those that are not supported under Java.
"

One thing that I know, is that you are doing the XWT development under e4.
One question is, do you consider to integrate XWT into VE?



---

my thoughts:

1. rebuild the community
it is not needed to forced to answer every questions in the first time like
the EMF team. We should keep most of development activities open to
community.


2. fixing bugs.
If you don't violently change the framework of VE, I will triage(review) all
bugs under the Windows platform and general one from scratch, and fix or
mark them. Hovever, if the frameworkw is planned to be changed, I think this
step may not be useful anymore.


3. stability
minimize dependencies(now emf and gef. jem seem related to WTP? suggest to
resolve this problem).
make more addtional features optional.
The performance should be visited again.


4. enhance the usability
unify newcomer/veteran workflow(and add tooling support), tabbed property...



5. litte addtions before stability
be cautious to add more .
interesting topics like partial nebula widgets support, more RCP support,
modeled UI support?( RCP)


I just like the project leader(you?) could do some plans and arranges for
all committers and contributors. We don't need to wait anything:)
Re: possible VE involvement? [message #617437 is a reply to message #486805] Tue, 22 September 2009 21:12 Go to previous message
Yves YANG is currently offline Yves YANGFriend
Messages: 687
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
<jin.phd@gmail.com> wrote in message news:h92c10$ika$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Hi, yang, yeap, I just email you:) I'm glad to discuss the future of VE
> here with you. two parts as followed,
>
> ---
>> ... However, from some words on the page, I guess, some ones may like to
>> add new basic framework codes into the VE.(something like VE for
>> everything, not just for swt/swing).
>
> for this sentence, in fact, I want to say that it is best not to think
> more addtional features before that we can provide a satisfactory SWT UI
> Visual Java Editor for Eclipse community.
> some words from the website of VE clued here
> "
> In particular, the Visual Editor Project intends to be useful for creating
> GUI builders for other languages such as C/C++ and alternate widget sets,
> including those that are not supported under Java.
> "
1. We should focus on the open bugs.
2. If someone want to contribute some new features, it is welcome.
>
> One thing that I know, is that you are doing the XWT development under e4.
> One question is, do you consider to integrate XWT into VE?
>
Yes. It is definitively a priority feature.

Best regards
Yves YANG
>
>
> ---
>
> my thoughts:
>
> 1. rebuild the community
> it is not needed to forced to answer every questions in the first time
> like the EMF team. We should keep most of development activities open to
> community.
>
>
> 2. fixing bugs.
> If you don't violently change the framework of VE, I will triage(review)
> all bugs under the Windows platform and general one from scratch, and fix
> or mark them. Hovever, if the frameworkw is planned to be changed, I think
> this step may not be useful anymore.
>
>
> 3. stability
> minimize dependencies(now emf and gef. jem seem related to WTP? suggest to
> resolve this problem).
> make more addtional features optional.
> The performance should be visited again.
>
>
> 4. enhance the usability
> unify newcomer/veteran workflow(and add tooling support), tabbed
> property...
>
>
>
> 5. litte addtions before stability
> be cautious to add more .
> interesting topics like partial nebula widgets support, more RCP support,
> modeled UI support?( RCP)
>
>
> I just like the project leader(you?) could do some plans and arranges for
> all committers and contributors. We don't need to wait anything:)
>
Previous Topic:Error Log filling up
Next Topic:How can I define an interface as default to a class?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Nov 26 17:50:45 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.09226 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software