Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Faceted Project Framework » Removing undefined facets
Removing undefined facets [message #483902] Thu, 03 September 2009 14:38 Go to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Received the following e-mail from Lakshmi Priya. Moving the conversation to this forum.

=========

Hi Kosta,

We have a problem while migrating the portlet projects, there are some facets/facet versions which are no longer supported in our product. Thus the projects which are migrated from an older version still have these facets and complain about this is the facets page. We are having problems uninstalling them.

I have tried adding/removing/changing the facet versions directly on working copy. None of these worked for me. The issue is that since the facet version/facets which needs to be removed/uninstalled are not defined(not supported in the product and thus their definition removed), its not possible to remove them. Thus this also causes problems when I try to change the version or install a new version of the same facet. To explain my use case, PFA the image of the facets page.
(See attached file: facetspage.JPG)

The facet version highlighted is the one whose definition has been removed.

So even if I try to manually uninstall/change this facet version in the facets page to say "6.1"(for Portal 6.1 runtime) its not possible. It shows me an error message (See attached file: facetspageError.JPG)

Can you please let me know, if its possible to handle this? Does the FacetedProject framework have any support for handling such undefined/unsupported facet versions, so that these dont appear in the facets page, and I can set new versions of the facet which are supported.

Thanks,
Lakshmi Priya.
RAD Portal Tooling, IBM Software Group
DLF Silokhera, Sector 30, Gurgaon, India.
Re: Removing undefined facets [message #483908 is a reply to message #483902] Thu, 03 September 2009 14:48 Go to previous message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Lakshmi,

The recommended way of dropping support for a facet or a facet version is to leave the definition intact, but to disable ability to install it. This is easily done by simply removing the install action definition for that facet or version. That way users can uninstall it or change it's version, but it cannot be installed on new projects.

There is currently no API support for manipulating facets or facet versions whose definitions are not found. This is an inherently unsafe operation. If you must go this route, you will have to go around the framework and edit the metadata files directly. I could not recommend this approach. You would be happier with the results if you take my suggestion above about deprecating facets more gracefully.

- Konstantin
Previous Topic:No, this project is not dead
Next Topic:Removing undefined facets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:12:43 GMT 2024