Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » PDE & Target platform behavior and discussion
PDE & Target platform behavior and discussion [message #482663] Thu, 27 August 2009 13:42 Go to next message
Simon Chemouil is currently offline Simon ChemouilFriend
Messages: 24
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hello,

I hope this discussion has not taken place before but a quick search did
not show anything.

Starting a new RCP application project, I have defined a minimal target
platform for the project to run on.

As a result, I have spent one hour determining why PDE wasn't able to
display any extension point schemas, considering the plugin sources were
indeed correctly installed in my development Eclipse IDE. Maybe this
message can help some people facing the same problem later :).

My idea of the target platform was to have it be used when running the
RCP project and for PDE static resolutions which do not imply schema
definitions; an enclosing target platform with the corresponding sources
plugins could be used for debugging purposes.

However, I did not expect PDE to go "blind" in the extensions editor.
The behavior I was expecting was that PDE would use the target platform
for all code related resolutions (dependency, etc), but still see use
Active target platform when it comes to finding extension points schemas
(as long as the extension point is itself defined in the target platform!).

Now, maybe this is the expected behavior, but it is somehow a
limitation: I want to use my target platform when developing and running
my RCP app to check if it all goes well during development stage. But if
PDE loses some functionality as a result, or if I have to create an
extended target platform that looks very much like my development
Eclipse, it is far less useful.

Ideally, PDE would use the union of all target platforms when it comes
to resolving source-level elements related to development that are not
required as runtime; or at least let us choose a different "source
resolve platform".

Or include (when possible) source plugins corresponding to the target
platform (same versions) when debugging the application, and finally use
the regular target platform for running. (by the way, being able to
switch the target platform in the Plugins tab of run configurations
would be awesome).

My extensions were still working properly, I just could not use PDE to
edit them.



My guess is that I am missing something important, an option or
something, but I have spent some time checking it and did not find
anything. I know I could import only my source plugins (from my dev
install) into my target platform but it is not really satisfying.

Or maybe I am expecting a bad behavior. In both cases, I'd like to know
if I can solve my problem with 3.5, if some people have the same
expectations as I do or prefer the current behavior, and finally if this
could be considered an enhancement. (I really prefer the new target
platform support, by the way, but unless I'm missing something it still
lacks some pretty cool features).

Thanks for answers and the awesome PDE :).

PS: I understand that more features often also mean a more cluttered UI.

--
Simon Chemouil
Re: PDE & Target platform behavior and discussion [message #483528 is a reply to message #482663] Tue, 01 September 2009 21:10 Go to previous message
Matt Barry is currently offline Matt BarryFriend
Messages: 27
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Based on your mention of the plugin source code I can't tell if you've
tried this, but for me this schema problem has been solved on two
occasions by installing the relevant SDKs.
Re: PDE & Target platform behavior and discussion [message #601106 is a reply to message #482663] Tue, 01 September 2009 21:10 Go to previous message
Matt Barry is currently offline Matt BarryFriend
Messages: 27
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Based on your mention of the plugin source code I can't tell if you've
tried this, but for me this schema problem has been solved on two
occasions by installing the relevant SDKs.
Previous Topic:ISearchPage Extension -- Restrict page size
Next Topic:Double-Click Text Selections
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Nov 27 22:06:10 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02250 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software