Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Dynamic Help not working
Dynamic Help not working [message #474898] Tue, 09 December 2008 11:46 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone has had this problem but just in case... Anyway, my
problem is that I have the help system working perfectly but the dynamic
help doesn't work completely. When I search something in the dynamic help
the results are ok but when I select one of them and the help system is
opened (inside the dynamic help view) the topic is not shown. In fact if I
select a topic from the help tree this topic isn't shown either, but if I
open the same topic on the help single view it shows correctly.

Any help please?

Thanks
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #474902 is a reply to message #474898] Wed, 10 December 2008 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris Goldthorpe
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
A few questions

Is this an RCP application?
Can you open any documents and have them display in the help view?
What version of Eclipse are you using?
What OS are you running on?

Based on your description it appears that the help system is not able
to create a browser widget.
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #474905 is a reply to message #474902] Thu, 11 December 2008 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

> Is this an RCP application?
Yes it is
> Can you open any documents and have them display in the help view?
The normal help system (the one that opens in its own window) works
perfectly. I've added an external reference in the dynamic help and it also
works. The only thing that doesn't work is when I select a topic in the help
if its inside the dynamic help
> What version of Eclipse are you using?
Version: 3.4.0
build id: I20080617-2000
> What OS are you running on?
Windows XP Professional

Thanks
Version: 3.4.0

Build id: I20080617-2000

"Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribi
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #474907 is a reply to message #474905] Thu, 11 December 2008 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris Goldthorpe
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
If you are on Windows XP you should have no problem opening a browser
widget, which is where the help view opens help pages. Do you see any
error messages in the log? If you need to debug this set a breakpoint in
org.eclipse.help.ui.internal.views.ReusableHelpPart.openInte rnalBrowser().
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #475077 is a reply to message #474907] Thu, 22 January 2009 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

I've been trying to make the help view work so long with no success. But I
discover something that maybe someone can help to point the problem. I've
added the Mylyn plugins to my run configuration. Then I open the "Search"
help view and then the "All topics" section. In the section appears our
product's help topics and the Mylyn ones. When I open a Mylyn topic, it is
shown in a different way than our product's topics. The Mylyn topic opens in
a single frame on the view but our topics appears in the classic two frames
help view (the left frame shows the topics tree and the right frame had to
show the topic but it is always blank). Then if I select the same Mylyn
topic than before but this time on the tree at the left frame the topic is
not shown.

Any help please??
"Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribi
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #475079 is a reply to message #475077] Fri, 23 January 2009 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris Goldthorpe
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Can you open a bugzilla report and attach some screen shots? It's hard
to tell what you are seeing without an image.

Víctor Conesa wrote:
> I've been trying to make the help view work so long with no success. But I
> discover something that maybe someone can help to point the problem. I've
> added the Mylyn plugins to my run configuration. Then I open the "Search"
> help view and then the "All topics" section. In the section appears our
> product's help topics and the Mylyn ones. When I open a Mylyn topic, it is
> shown in a different way than our product's topics. The Mylyn topic opens in
> a single frame on the view but our topics appears in the classic two frames
> help view (the left frame shows the topics tree and the right frame had to
> show the topic but it is always blank). Then if I select the same Mylyn
> topic than before but this time on the tree at the left frame the topic is
> not shown.
>
> Any help please??
> "Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribió en el mensaje
> news:ghrqtj$37i$1@build.eclipse.org...
>> If you are on Windows XP you should have no problem opening a browser
>> widget, which is where the help view opens help pages. Do you see any
>> error messages in the log? If you need to debug this set a breakpoint in
>> org.eclipse.help.ui.internal.views.ReusableHelpPart.openInte rnalBrowser().
>
>
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #475082 is a reply to message #475079] Mon, 26 January 2009 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

Ok, while I found the way to post a bugzilla I send the images through this
mail.

The first image shows the standalone help working properly. The second one
shows the dynamic help and the list of topics working properly too. The
third one shows what happens if I click on a topic in the help view, as you
could see the contents are not displayed and the topics tree is visible, but
in a Mylyn topic (if I run the product adding this plugin), that tree doesnt
appears and the content is displayed correctly. So I supose is something
related to the help system configuration of my product but I can't see where
is the error.

Thanks.
"Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribi
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #475086 is a reply to message #475082] Tue, 27 January 2009 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris Goldthorpe
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I think that your toc.xml file may hold the key to why this is
happening, can you e-mail it to me?
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #475090 is a reply to message #475086] Tue, 27 January 2009 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

Sure, here it goes. And thanks a lot!
"Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribi
  • Attachment: toc.xml
    (Size: 1.32KB, Downloaded 109 times)
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #475096 is a reply to message #475090] Fri, 30 January 2009 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris Goldthorpe
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Your TOC looks fine, nothing unusual about it, so I still don't know
what the problem is.

Víctor Conesa wrote:
> Sure, here it goes. And thanks a lot!
> "Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribió en el mensaje
> news:glm5gu$9s6$1@build.eclipse.org...
>> I think that your toc.xml file may hold the key to why this is
>> happening, can you e-mail it to me?
>
>
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #475097 is a reply to message #475096] Mon, 02 February 2009 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

Don't worry, looks like is not that easy. There must be some combination of
plugins/code that leads to this error. What I'm going to do is to create a
blank project and add it the dynamic help and see what happens.

Thanks for your help, I'll post the results of that test.
"Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribi
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #475110 is a reply to message #475097] Tue, 10 February 2009 08:33 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

Hi all,

It's solved. The problem was some code in the html files. We are not really
sure why there was that piece of code in our help files but everything work
perfectly well without it. The piece of code was:
<script>if( self == top ){ window.location.replace(
" ../../../index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.help.base/doc/help_hom e.html ");}</script>

Thanks for your answers Chris,


"V
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #622678 is a reply to message #474898] Wed, 10 December 2008 22:14 Go to previous message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris Goldthorpe
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
A few questions

Is this an RCP application?
Can you open any documents and have them display in the help view?
What version of Eclipse are you using?
What OS are you running on?

Based on your description it appears that the help system is not able
to create a browser widget.
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #622683 is a reply to message #474902] Thu, 11 December 2008 12:18 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

> Is this an RCP application?
Yes it is
> Can you open any documents and have them display in the help view?
The normal help system (the one that opens in its own window) works
perfectly. I've added an external reference in the dynamic help and it also
works. The only thing that doesn't work is when I select a topic in the help
if its inside the dynamic help
> What version of Eclipse are you using?
Version: 3.4.0
build id: I20080617-2000
> What OS are you running on?
Windows XP Professional

Thanks
Version: 3.4.0

Build id: I20080617-2000

"Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribi
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #622688 is a reply to message #474905] Thu, 11 December 2008 19:50 Go to previous message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris Goldthorpe
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
If you are on Windows XP you should have no problem opening a browser
widget, which is where the help view opens help pages. Do you see any
error messages in the log? If you need to debug this set a breakpoint in
org.eclipse.help.ui.internal.views.ReusableHelpPart.openInte rnalBrowser().
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #622800 is a reply to message #474907] Thu, 22 January 2009 09:17 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

I've been trying to make the help view work so long with no success. But I
discover something that maybe someone can help to point the problem. I've
added the Mylyn plugins to my run configuration. Then I open the "Search"
help view and then the "All topics" section. In the section appears our
product's help topics and the Mylyn ones. When I open a Mylyn topic, it is
shown in a different way than our product's topics. The Mylyn topic opens in
a single frame on the view but our topics appears in the classic two frames
help view (the left frame shows the topics tree and the right frame had to
show the topic but it is always blank). Then if I select the same Mylyn
topic than before but this time on the tree at the left frame the topic is
not shown.

Any help please??
"Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribi
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #622801 is a reply to message #475077] Fri, 23 January 2009 20:23 Go to previous message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris Goldthorpe
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Can you open a bugzilla report and attach some screen shots? It's hard
to tell what you are seeing without an image.

Víctor Conesa wrote:
> I've been trying to make the help view work so long with no success. But I
> discover something that maybe someone can help to point the problem. I've
> added the Mylyn plugins to my run configuration. Then I open the "Search"
> help view and then the "All topics" section. In the section appears our
> product's help topics and the Mylyn ones. When I open a Mylyn topic, it is
> shown in a different way than our product's topics. The Mylyn topic opens in
> a single frame on the view but our topics appears in the classic two frames
> help view (the left frame shows the topics tree and the right frame had to
> show the topic but it is always blank). Then if I select the same Mylyn
> topic than before but this time on the tree at the left frame the topic is
> not shown.
>
> Any help please??
> "Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribió en el mensaje
> news:ghrqtj$37i$1@build.eclipse.org...
>> If you are on Windows XP you should have no problem opening a browser
>> widget, which is where the help view opens help pages. Do you see any
>> error messages in the log? If you need to debug this set a breakpoint in
>> org.eclipse.help.ui.internal.views.ReusableHelpPart.openInte rnalBrowser().
>
>
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #622802 is a reply to message #475079] Mon, 26 January 2009 08:10 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

Ok, while I found the way to post a bugzilla I send the images through this
mail.

The first image shows the standalone help working properly. The second one
shows the dynamic help and the list of topics working properly too. The
third one shows what happens if I click on a topic in the help view, as you
could see the contents are not displayed and the topics tree is visible, but
in a Mylyn topic (if I run the product adding this plugin), that tree doesnt
appears and the content is displayed correctly. So I supose is something
related to the help system configuration of my product but I can't see where
is the error.

Thanks.
"Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribi
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #622803 is a reply to message #475082] Tue, 27 January 2009 05:19 Go to previous message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris Goldthorpe
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I think that your toc.xml file may hold the key to why this is
happening, can you e-mail it to me?
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #622805 is a reply to message #475086] Tue, 27 January 2009 17:14 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

Sure, here it goes. And thanks a lot!
"Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribi
  • Attachment: toc.xml
    (Size: 1.32KB, Downloaded 69 times)
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #622806 is a reply to message #475090] Fri, 30 January 2009 01:17 Go to previous message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris Goldthorpe
Messages: 815
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Your TOC looks fine, nothing unusual about it, so I still don't know
what the problem is.

Víctor Conesa wrote:
> Sure, here it goes. And thanks a lot!
> "Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribió en el mensaje
> news:glm5gu$9s6$1@build.eclipse.org...
>> I think that your toc.xml file may hold the key to why this is
>> happening, can you e-mail it to me?
>
>
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #622807 is a reply to message #475096] Mon, 02 February 2009 08:33 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

Don't worry, looks like is not that easy. There must be some combination of
plugins/code that leads to this error. What I'm going to do is to create a
blank project and add it the dynamic help and see what happens.

Thanks for your help, I'll post the results of that test.
"Chris Goldthorpe" <cgold@us.ibm.com> escribi
Re: Dynamic Help not working [message #623219 is a reply to message #475097] Tue, 10 February 2009 08:33 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: victor.conesa.justinmind.com

Hi all,

It's solved. The problem was some code in the html files. We are not really
sure why there was that piece of code in our help files but everything work
perfectly well without it. The piece of code was:
<script>if( self == top ){ window.location.replace(
" ../../../index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.help.base/doc/help_hom e.html ");}</script>

Thanks for your answers Chris,


"V
Previous Topic:look and feel of eclipse & RCP HELP under linux gtk
Next Topic:How to configure the index tab
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Oct 31 13:49:01 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.04473 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software