Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » C-Sharp » Java2CSharp project nature
Java2CSharp project nature [message #468739] Fri, 08 August 2008 08:19 Go to next message
Alexandre FAU is currently offline Alexandre FAUFriend
Messages: 17
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hello,

For those who use the translator in multi-project mode
(http://j2cstranslator.wiki.sourceforge.net/HowToUse), you certainly note
that there is no UI integration of that feature (it's only an xml file to
edit, and you can use it only in the command line version).

So, why not to have a specific project nature for that ?
My idea is : a project nature with a wizard where you add references on
existing Java projects to translate, set global options (exactly what the
xml file already contains) and a specific perspective.
Once your project is set up you can decide to
* customize the translation
- specify what transformation to perform (customize the translation
... could be used to translate Java to other java-like language)
- modify output directory
- modify some options
* perform action on source code
- update it (if under svn/cvs)
- translate it (i.e. translate all referenced Java projects)
- check with svn/cvs if a new translation is required
* perform action on generated code
- clean,
- compile,
- launch unit test ?

Something similar to the Feature project in Eclipse.

Is this feature will be useful ? Am I completely crazy :-) ?
Any comment, other idea ?

I'm looking for info/volunteer to help on this (not necessary to start it
right now but to have advise, ...).

Thanks.

@lex
Re: Java2CSharp project nature [message #469280 is a reply to message #468739] Sat, 16 August 2008 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remy Suen is currently offline Remy SuenFriend
Messages: 462
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 08:19:35 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> a specific perspective.

What would this perspective offer?

> * perform action on source code
> - update it (if under svn/cvs)

I'm not sure what the point of this is when there's already the 'Team'
menu available.

> check with svn/cvs if a new translation is required

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean that it would check the files'
history to determine if the API has changed?

> Something similar to the Feature project in Eclipse.

Feature project?

> Is this feature will be useful ? Am I completely crazy :-) ? Any
> comment, other idea ?

I think that this sounds like the right track although I'm not entirely
convinced that using project natures is the proper way to solve this
problem. If everything is currently defined by an XML file, it may be
worth just creating a frontend editor to edit and interface with that XML
file. This would increase portability so that people can perform
transformations without necessarily creating an Eclipse Java project.

Remy
Re: Java2CSharp project nature [message #469289 is a reply to message #469280] Mon, 18 August 2008 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandre FAU is currently offline Alexandre FAUFriend
Messages: 17
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
> What would this perspective offer?
A "view" on linked Java projects (the ones you want to translate) and a
way to change translation behavior on it or globally.

> > * perform action on source code
> > - update it (if under svn/cvs)
> I'm not sure what the point of this is when there's already the 'Team'
> menu available.
Right, I just want to have a specific view to aggregate all actions on
code to translate.

> > check with svn/cvs if a new translation is required
> Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean that it would check the files'
> history to determine if the API has changed?
Ideally what I want is something like : "update my java code, and
translate only modified code" (I have some preliminary work on that
subject).

> Feature project?
New Project->"Plug-in Development" you have "Feature project".
http://help.eclipse.org/stable/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. pde.doc.user/guide/tools/project_wizards/new_feature_project .htm

> I think that this sounds like the right track although I'm not entirely
> convinced that using project natures is the proper way to solve this
> problem. If everything is currently defined by an XML file, it may be
> worth just creating a frontend editor to edit and interface with that XML
> file.
Basically what I want is such Editor but when I saw the "feature
project" I realize that is really close to my need.

> This would increase portability so that people can perform
> transformations without necessarily creating an Eclipse Java project.
Ok, It's another usage ... But that people certainly don't want to use
*at all* Eclipse UI and the editor must be stand alone.
Re: Java2CSharp project nature [message #469298 is a reply to message #469289] Tue, 19 August 2008 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remy Suen is currently offline Remy SuenFriend
Messages: 462
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:46:14 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> A "view" on linked Java projects (the ones you want to translate) and
> a way to change translation behavior on it or globally.

I'm not sure if I'm convinced it's worth creating a perspective to
accomodate so few views.

>> > * perform action on source code
>> > - update it (if under svn/cvs)
>> I'm not sure what the point of this is when there's already the 'Team'
>> menu available.
> Right, I just want to have a specific view to aggregate all actions on
> code to translate.

I imagine that the 'Team' menu would appear in the same places where your
translation actions would appear anyway.

>> This would increase portability so that people can perform
>> transformations without necessarily creating an Eclipse Java project.
> Ok, It's another usage ... But that people certainly don't want to use
> *at all* Eclipse UI and the editor must be stand alone.

Right, and that's fine. People can create their own user interfaces to
work with the XML file for their own tools (like NetBeans or IDEA) or
just edit the file by hand. On the Eclipse side, this project would
provide the proper Eclipse tooling accordingly. You already have Maven
tasks defined so people don't necessarily have to invoke or modify the
translation through Eclipse, right? It's a similar concept here.
Re: Java2CSharp project nature [message #469307 is a reply to message #469298] Wed, 20 August 2008 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: dcarver.starstandard.org

Remy Chi Jian Suen wrote:
>
> Right, and that's fine. People can create their own user interfaces to
> work with the XML file for their own tools (like NetBeans or IDEA) or
> just edit the file by hand. On the Eclipse side, this project would
> provide the proper Eclipse tooling accordingly. You already have Maven
> tasks defined so people don't necessarily have to invoke or modify the
> translation through Eclipse, right? It's a similar concept here.

I have to agree with Remy on this... if it's an eclipse project it
should provide an eclipse based editor. I agree that ideally it should
be consumable outside of eclispe (i.e. the core.runtime portion), but
that there should be an Eclipse editor for people to use.
Re: Java2CSharp project nature [message #469313 is a reply to message #469298] Tue, 26 August 2008 13:15 Go to previous message
Alexandre FAU is currently offline Alexandre FAUFriend
Messages: 17
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
> I'm not sure if I'm convinced it's worth creating a perspective to
> accomodate so few views.
My first idea was to follow in the "Eclipse way" and the "feature
pespective" seems to be a good example.

> I imagine that the 'Team' menu would appear in the same places where your
> translation actions would appear anyway.
Right,

> Right, and that's fine. People can create their own user interfaces to
> work with the XML file for their own tools (like NetBeans or IDEA) or
> just edit the file by hand. On the Eclipse side, this project would
> provide the proper Eclipse tooling accordingly. You already have Maven
> tasks defined so people don't necessarily have to invoke or modify the
> translation through Eclipse, right? It's a similar concept here.
I agree with you.

To be honest I don't know how much work is to create a new project
nature/perspective/view compare to just create a new panel(s).
So create a new nature seems overkill.
Let's start with a new entry in a menu (as the "Team" menu).

@lex
Re: Java2CSharp project nature [message #566372 is a reply to message #468739] Sat, 16 August 2008 13:08 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: remy.suen.gmail.com

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 08:19:35 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> a specific perspective.

What would this perspective offer?

> * perform action on source code
> - update it (if under svn/cvs)

I'm not sure what the point of this is when there's already the 'Team'
menu available.

> check with svn/cvs if a new translation is required

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean that it would check the files'
history to determine if the API has changed?

> Something similar to the Feature project in Eclipse.

Feature project?

> Is this feature will be useful ? Am I completely crazy :-) ? Any
> comment, other idea ?

I think that this sounds like the right track although I'm not entirely
convinced that using project natures is the proper way to solve this
problem. If everything is currently defined by an XML file, it may be
worth just creating a frontend editor to edit and interface with that XML
file. This would increase portability so that people can perform
transformations without necessarily creating an Eclipse Java project.

Remy
Re: Java2CSharp project nature [message #566393 is a reply to message #469280] Mon, 18 August 2008 09:46 Go to previous message
Alex FAU is currently offline Alex FAUFriend
Messages: 15
Registered: May 2010
Junior Member
> What would this perspective offer?
A "view" on linked Java projects (the ones you want to translate) and a
way to change translation behavior on it or globally.

> > * perform action on source code
> > - update it (if under svn/cvs)
> I'm not sure what the point of this is when there's already the 'Team'
> menu available.
Right, I just want to have a specific view to aggregate all actions on
code to translate.

> > check with svn/cvs if a new translation is required
> Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean that it would check the files'
> history to determine if the API has changed?
Ideally what I want is something like : "update my java code, and
translate only modified code" (I have some preliminary work on that
subject).

> Feature project?
New Project->"Plug-in Development" you have "Feature project".
http://help.eclipse.org/stable/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. pde.doc.user/guide/tools/project_wizards/new_feature_project .htm

> I think that this sounds like the right track although I'm not entirely
> convinced that using project natures is the proper way to solve this
> problem. If everything is currently defined by an XML file, it may be
> worth just creating a frontend editor to edit and interface with that XML
> file.
Basically what I want is such Editor but when I saw the "feature
project" I realize that is really close to my need.

> This would increase portability so that people can perform
> transformations without necessarily creating an Eclipse Java project.
Ok, It's another usage ... But that people certainly don't want to use
*at all* Eclipse UI and the editor must be stand alone.
Re: Java2CSharp project nature [message #566432 is a reply to message #469289] Tue, 19 August 2008 15:17 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: remy.suen.gmail.com

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:46:14 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> A "view" on linked Java projects (the ones you want to translate) and
> a way to change translation behavior on it or globally.

I'm not sure if I'm convinced it's worth creating a perspective to
accomodate so few views.

>> > * perform action on source code
>> > - update it (if under svn/cvs)
>> I'm not sure what the point of this is when there's already the 'Team'
>> menu available.
> Right, I just want to have a specific view to aggregate all actions on
> code to translate.

I imagine that the 'Team' menu would appear in the same places where your
translation actions would appear anyway.

>> This would increase portability so that people can perform
>> transformations without necessarily creating an Eclipse Java project.
> Ok, It's another usage ... But that people certainly don't want to use
> *at all* Eclipse UI and the editor must be stand alone.

Right, and that's fine. People can create their own user interfaces to
work with the XML file for their own tools (like NetBeans or IDEA) or
just edit the file by hand. On the Eclipse side, this project would
provide the proper Eclipse tooling accordingly. You already have Maven
tasks defined so people don't necessarily have to invoke or modify the
translation through Eclipse, right? It's a similar concept here.
Re: Java2CSharp project nature [message #566461 is a reply to message #469298] Wed, 20 August 2008 15:20 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: dcarver.starstandard.org

Remy Chi Jian Suen wrote:
>
> Right, and that's fine. People can create their own user interfaces to
> work with the XML file for their own tools (like NetBeans or IDEA) or
> just edit the file by hand. On the Eclipse side, this project would
> provide the proper Eclipse tooling accordingly. You already have Maven
> tasks defined so people don't necessarily have to invoke or modify the
> translation through Eclipse, right? It's a similar concept here.

I have to agree with Remy on this... if it's an eclipse project it
should provide an eclipse based editor. I agree that ideally it should
be consumable outside of eclispe (i.e. the core.runtime portion), but
that there should be an Eclipse editor for people to use.
Re: Java2CSharp project nature [message #566481 is a reply to message #469298] Tue, 26 August 2008 13:15 Go to previous message
Alex FAU is currently offline Alex FAUFriend
Messages: 15
Registered: May 2010
Junior Member
> I'm not sure if I'm convinced it's worth creating a perspective to
> accomodate so few views.
My first idea was to follow in the "Eclipse way" and the "feature
pespective" seems to be a good example.

> I imagine that the 'Team' menu would appear in the same places where your
> translation actions would appear anyway.
Right,

> Right, and that's fine. People can create their own user interfaces to
> work with the XML file for their own tools (like NetBeans or IDEA) or
> just edit the file by hand. On the Eclipse side, this project would
> provide the proper Eclipse tooling accordingly. You already have Maven
> tasks defined so people don't necessarily have to invoke or modify the
> translation through Eclipse, right? It's a similar concept here.
I agree with you.

To be honest I don't know how much work is to create a new project
nature/perspective/view compare to just create a new panel(s).
So create a new nature seems overkill.
Let's start with a new entry in a menu (as the "Team" menu).

@lex
Previous Topic:Java2CSharp project nature
Next Topic:Translation of <?> in .NET
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Nov 22 03:20:38 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03155 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software