Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » C-Sharp » .NET tooling?
.NET tooling? [message #468680] Sat, 26 July 2008 22:35 Go to next message
Benjamin Muskalla is currently offline Benjamin Muskalla
Messages: 237
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

as far as I understand the proposal, there is no .NET tooling included
in the project. This is ok so far as the project is only a "language
translator". But how far does the project scope go?
Is it only possible to convert a project? What I wonder about is tooling
regarding using the generated sources in some way. I think things like
editing/refactoring C# sources is definitely out of scope (but could be
a nice related project). But at least tooling for launching/building the
converted sources should be part of the project so I don't need to
switch to other IDEs in order to use the result of transformation.

Are there any plans so far?

Best regards
Benny
Re: .NET tooling? [message #468684 is a reply to message #468680] Sun, 27 July 2008 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandre FAU is currently offline Alexandre FAU
Messages: 17
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
> Is it only possible to convert a project?
No, you can also convert one class or package (but it's in beta).

As you said what we need is an equivalent to the JDT for csharp (with full
functionalities : compiler, refactoring, ...).
I sent an email to the emonic guys
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/emonic/) to see how we can collaborate.

> But at least tooling for launching/building the converted sources should
> be part of the project so I don't need to switch to other IDEs in order
> to use the result of transformation.
I have some preliminary work on that subject (a part of the unit tests),
nothing really clear but if there is interesting people I can dig in that
way (or If any volunteer want to help).


Alex.
Re: .NET tooling? [message #468692 is a reply to message #468684] Sun, 03 August 2008 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remy Suen is currently offline Remy Suen
Messages: 462
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:16:23 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
>> But at least tooling for launching/building the converted sources
>> should be part of the project so I don't need to switch to other IDEs
>> in order to use the result of transformation.
> I have some preliminary work on that subject (a part of the unit tests),
> nothing really clear but if there is interesting people I can dig in
> that way (or If any volunteer want to help).

I'd definitely be interested in contributing and collaborating on the
creation of a launching mechanism for .NET applications and a builder
system for compiling source code.

Regards,
Rem
Re: .NET tooling? [message #468698 is a reply to message #468692] Mon, 04 August 2008 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandre FAU is currently offline Alexandre FAU
Messages: 17
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hello,

Great news, Welcome !

@lex
Re: .NET tooling? [message #468705 is a reply to message #468684] Wed, 06 August 2008 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remy Suen is currently offline Remy Suen
Messages: 462
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:16:23 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> I have some preliminary work on that subject (a part of the unit tests),
> nothing really clear

Alex, is this code in a repository somewhere?

Thanks,
Remy
Re: .NET tooling? [message #468708 is a reply to message #468705] Wed, 06 August 2008 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandre FAU is currently offline Alexandre FAU
Messages: 17
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hello Remy,

Yes in the svn repo of the sourceforge site :
https://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=218711 or
http://j2cstranslator.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/j2cstransla tor/ for
browsing.

@lex
Re: .NET tooling? [message #468711 is a reply to message #468708] Wed, 06 August 2008 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remy Suen is currently offline Remy Suen
Messages: 462
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 18:45:19 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> http://j2cstranslator.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/j2cstransla tor/

Which module houses this code?

Also, what is working / has been completed thus far?

Remy
Re: .NET tooling? [message #468715 is a reply to message #468711] Wed, 06 August 2008 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandre FAU is currently offline Alexandre FAU
Messages: 17
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Here for the eclipse plug-in :
http://j2cstranslator.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/j2cstransla tor/Eclipse3.3/EclipsePlugin/

Here for the mapping library (c# code) :
http://j2cstranslator.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/j2cstransla tor/Eclipse3.3/J2CSMapping/

(trunk is for Eclipse 3.4 but I have a blocking issue to be corrected in
3.4.1)

> Also, what is working / has been completed thus far?
The maven plugi-n is not working (I have to refresh it :-))
The current version of the plug-in works quite fine.
What kind of information do you need ?

@lex
Re: .NET tooling? [message #468719 is a reply to message #468715] Wed, 06 August 2008 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remy Suen is currently offline Remy Suen
Messages: 462
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:34:51 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> The current
> version of the plug-in works quite fine. What kind of information do you
> need ?

Well, you originally replied to Benny with...

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:16:23 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
>> But at least tooling for launching/building the converted sources
>> should be part of the project so I don't need to switch to other IDEs
>> in order to use the result of transformation.
> I have some preliminary work on that subject (a part of the unit tests),
> nothing really clear but if there is interesting people I can dig in
> that way (or If any volunteer want to help).

....so I thought you had some code setup for compiling the generated C#
source code through Eclipse or for launching .NET executables within
Eclipse. Is this correct?

If yes, which package or classes should I look at? I see a ProjectBuilder
class but it seems to be in charge of performing translations instead of
compiling C# source files. I'd also recommend splitting the builder and
the launcher out into separate plug-ins since those are generic
functionality that could be used by other Eclipse plug-ins and not
necessarily related to the translation of Java source files into C#
source files.

If no building and launching support is currently in place, could you
clarify what you were referring to in your reply to Benny about the
"preliminary work"? Thanks.

Regards,
Remy
Re: .NET tooling? [message #468724 is a reply to message #468719] Thu, 07 August 2008 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandre FAU is currently offline Alexandre FAU
Messages: 17
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

> ....so I thought you had some code setup for compiling the generated C#
> source code through Eclipse or for launching .NET executables within
> Eclipse. Is this correct?
Yes but only for compiling generated code and launch unit test.

> If yes, which package or classes should I look at? I see a ProjectBuilder
> class but it seems to be in charge of performing translations instead of
> compiling C# source files.
Look in the test package, you have a TestContext class with a compile
method in it. Basically I call msbuild with the generated csporj file.
I also start to implement something in
com.ilog.translator.java2cs.plugin.PlatformRunnable1 class with ability to
compile and launch unit test.
You have to activate the compilation with an option in the global options.
As I already said it's only preliminary work.

> I'd also recommend splitting the builder and
> the launcher out into separate plug-ins since those are generic
> functionality that could be used by other Eclipse plug-ins and not
> necessarily related to the translation of Java source files into C#
> source files.
Agree.

Thanks you your interest.

@lex
Re: .NET tooling? [message #468731 is a reply to message #468724] Thu, 07 August 2008 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remy Suen is currently offline Remy Suen
Messages: 462
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:30:25 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> Look in the test package, you have a TestContext class with a compile
> method in it.

Thanks for the information, I got it now. When you said that it was part
of the unit tests, I didn't really take that meaning literally. :P

I thought that there was a way to launch .NET executables from within
Eclipse and to invoke MSBuild through the Eclipse user interface like how
you'd invoke an Ant build. I see now that this is not actually the case.

Are you going to planning to add this functionality later? Would you say
that this is within the scope of the project? I agree with Benny here in
that it would help a lot if the user did not have to switch to another
IDE just to use and build the result of the transformation.

Regards,
Remy
Re: .NET tooling? [message #468734 is a reply to message #468731] Fri, 08 August 2008 07:58 Go to previous message
Alexandre FAU is currently offline Alexandre FAU
Messages: 17
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi Remy,

> Are you going to planning to add this functionality later?
Not at the beginning, but since you and Benny think it's a missing feature
I'm ready to add it.

> Would you say that this is within the scope of the project?
Yes, what is out of the scope is editing the c# files in Eclipse.

@lex
Re: .NET tooling? [message #565055 is a reply to message #468680] Sun, 27 July 2008 07:16 Go to previous message
Alex FAU is currently offline Alex FAU
Messages: 15
Registered: May 2010
Junior Member
> Is it only possible to convert a project?
No, you can also convert one class or package (but it's in beta).

As you said what we need is an equivalent to the JDT for csharp (with full
functionalities : compiler, refactoring, ...).
I sent an email to the emonic guys
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/emonic/) to see how we can collaborate.

> But at least tooling for launching/building the converted sources should
> be part of the project so I don't need to switch to other IDEs in order
> to use the result of transformation.
I have some preliminary work on that subject (a part of the unit tests),
nothing really clear but if there is interesting people I can dig in that
way (or If any volunteer want to help).


Alex.
Re: .NET tooling? [message #565105 is a reply to message #468684] Sun, 03 August 2008 20:25 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: remy.suen.gmail.com

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:16:23 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
>> But at least tooling for launching/building the converted sources
>> should be part of the project so I don't need to switch to other IDEs
>> in order to use the result of transformation.
> I have some preliminary work on that subject (a part of the unit tests),
> nothing really clear but if there is interesting people I can dig in
> that way (or If any volunteer want to help).

I'd definitely be interested in contributing and collaborating on the
creation of a launching mechanism for .NET applications and a builder
system for compiling source code.

Regards,
Rem
Re: .NET tooling? [message #565118 is a reply to message #468692] Mon, 04 August 2008 08:17 Go to previous message
Alex FAU is currently offline Alex FAU
Messages: 15
Registered: May 2010
Junior Member
Hello,

Great news, Welcome !

@lex
Re: .NET tooling? [message #565161 is a reply to message #468684] Wed, 06 August 2008 15:33 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: remy.suen.gmail.com

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:16:23 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> I have some preliminary work on that subject (a part of the unit tests),
> nothing really clear

Alex, is this code in a repository somewhere?

Thanks,
Remy
Re: .NET tooling? [message #565178 is a reply to message #468705] Wed, 06 August 2008 18:45 Go to previous message
Alex FAU is currently offline Alex FAU
Messages: 15
Registered: May 2010
Junior Member
Hello Remy,

Yes in the svn repo of the sourceforge site :
https://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=218711 or
http://j2cstranslator.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/j2cstransla tor/ for
browsing.

@lex
Re: .NET tooling? [message #565214 is a reply to message #468708] Wed, 06 August 2008 19:08 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: remy.suen.gmail.com

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 18:45:19 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> http://j2cstranslator.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/j2cstransla tor/

Which module houses this code?

Also, what is working / has been completed thus far?

Remy
Re: .NET tooling? [message #565239 is a reply to message #468711] Wed, 06 August 2008 19:34 Go to previous message
Alex FAU is currently offline Alex FAU
Messages: 15
Registered: May 2010
Junior Member
Here for the eclipse plug-in :
http://j2cstranslator.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/j2cstransla tor/Eclipse3.3/EclipsePlugin/

Here for the mapping library (c# code) :
http://j2cstranslator.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/j2cstransla tor/Eclipse3.3/J2CSMapping/

(trunk is for Eclipse 3.4 but I have a blocking issue to be corrected in
3.4.1)

> Also, what is working / has been completed thus far?
The maven plugi-n is not working (I have to refresh it :-))
The current version of the plug-in works quite fine.
What kind of information do you need ?

@lex
Re: .NET tooling? [message #565272 is a reply to message #468715] Wed, 06 August 2008 20:56 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: remy.suen.gmail.com

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:34:51 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> The current
> version of the plug-in works quite fine. What kind of information do you
> need ?

Well, you originally replied to Benny with...

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:16:23 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
>> But at least tooling for launching/building the converted sources
>> should be part of the project so I don't need to switch to other IDEs
>> in order to use the result of transformation.
> I have some preliminary work on that subject (a part of the unit tests),
> nothing really clear but if there is interesting people I can dig in
> that way (or If any volunteer want to help).

....so I thought you had some code setup for compiling the generated C#
source code through Eclipse or for launching .NET executables within
Eclipse. Is this correct?

If yes, which package or classes should I look at? I see a ProjectBuilder
class but it seems to be in charge of performing translations instead of
compiling C# source files. I'd also recommend splitting the builder and
the launcher out into separate plug-ins since those are generic
functionality that could be used by other Eclipse plug-ins and not
necessarily related to the translation of Java source files into C#
source files.

If no building and launching support is currently in place, could you
clarify what you were referring to in your reply to Benny about the
"preliminary work"? Thanks.

Regards,
Remy
Re: .NET tooling? [message #565297 is a reply to message #468719] Thu, 07 August 2008 07:30 Go to previous message
Alex FAU is currently offline Alex FAU
Messages: 15
Registered: May 2010
Junior Member
Hi,

> ....so I thought you had some code setup for compiling the generated C#
> source code through Eclipse or for launching .NET executables within
> Eclipse. Is this correct?
Yes but only for compiling generated code and launch unit test.

> If yes, which package or classes should I look at? I see a ProjectBuilder
> class but it seems to be in charge of performing translations instead of
> compiling C# source files.
Look in the test package, you have a TestContext class with a compile
method in it. Basically I call msbuild with the generated csporj file.
I also start to implement something in
com.ilog.translator.java2cs.plugin.PlatformRunnable1 class with ability to
compile and launch unit test.
You have to activate the compilation with an option in the global options.
As I already said it's only preliminary work.

> I'd also recommend splitting the builder and
> the launcher out into separate plug-ins since those are generic
> functionality that could be used by other Eclipse plug-ins and not
> necessarily related to the translation of Java source files into C#
> source files.
Agree.

Thanks you your interest.

@lex
Re: .NET tooling? [message #565349 is a reply to message #468724] Thu, 07 August 2008 23:50 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: remy.suen.gmail.com

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:30:25 +0000, Alexandre FAU wrote:
> Look in the test package, you have a TestContext class with a compile
> method in it.

Thanks for the information, I got it now. When you said that it was part
of the unit tests, I didn't really take that meaning literally. :P

I thought that there was a way to launch .NET executables from within
Eclipse and to invoke MSBuild through the Eclipse user interface like how
you'd invoke an Ant build. I see now that this is not actually the case.

Are you going to planning to add this functionality later? Would you say
that this is within the scope of the project? I agree with Benny here in
that it would help a lot if the user did not have to switch to another
IDE just to use and build the result of the transformation.

Regards,
Remy
Re: .NET tooling? [message #565372 is a reply to message #468731] Fri, 08 August 2008 07:58 Go to previous message
Alex FAU is currently offline Alex FAU
Messages: 15
Registered: May 2010
Junior Member
Hi Remy,

> Are you going to planning to add this functionality later?
Not at the beginning, but since you and Benny think it's a missing feature
I'm ready to add it.

> Would you say that this is within the scope of the project?
Yes, what is out of the scope is editing the c# files in Eclipse.

@lex
Previous Topic:Use intermediate models
Next Topic:Java2CSharp project nature
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Oct 30 19:06:37 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03084 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software